Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #46
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Yes, but its for a Kindle, not for an Android OS. You got it working on an Onyx?

In any case, I don't see much point in a keyboard working via USB. Bluetooth works perfectly okay. It's fast enough.

VNC would be better if it were fast enough because then one would have access to all Windows functionality. One could edit text using text select and copy and paste etc, just as one can in Windows. Android sadly doesnt have this kind of functionality. One can type and delete, but thats about it.

VNC is just too slow from what I've done.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #47
Echo_IM
Echo_IM began at the beginning.

Device: Oynx Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Yes, but its for a Kindle, not for an Android OS. You got it working on an Onyx?

In any case, I don't see much point in a keyboard working via USB. Bluetooth works perfectly okay. It's fast enough.

VNC would be better if it were fast enough because then one would have access to all Windows functionality. One could edit text using text select and copy and paste etc, just as one can in Windows. Android sadly doesnt have this kind of functionality. One can type and delete, but thats about it.

VNC is just too slow from what I've done.
Yes, I tested on my Onyx max. The Amazon link has a picture with Onyx too. How did you make it work through BT, may I ask?
Echo_IM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #48
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
Quote:
One could edit text using text select and copy and paste etc, just as one can in Windows. Android sadly doesnt have this kind of functionality. One can type and delete, but thats about it.
On an Android smartphone i use a clipboard app to copy and paste text between applications. So the functionality does exist but has to be added as an app.

See f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=clipboard&fdid=se.johanhil.clipboard, but there also other apps offering copy and paste.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:45 PM   #49
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
Quote:
One could edit text using text select and copy and paste etc, just as one can in Windows. Android sadly doesnt have this kind of functionality. One can type and delete, but thats about it.

This functionality exists. Whenever you enter text, you can long press on a word, and a selector appears. Now you can copy the text. Or you can long press on the cursor to allow paste.
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #50
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks but I'm talking of interacting with the Onyx via a keyboard. The only solution I see to have full editing ability is to use a port of Vi.
Advert
Old 03-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #51
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo_IM View Post
Yes, I tested on my Onyx max. The Amazon link has a picture with Onyx too. How did you make it work through BT, may I ask?
turn on BT under settings on Onyx. Turn on BT keyboard. Onyx will see it. It does a handshake, and that's it. It very simple. You can use external keyboard helper app to reconfigure keys on the keyboard.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:59 AM   #52
nahte
Enthusiast
nahte began at the beginning.

Device: none
I wrote the github nahtethan dxg-display project. Two years ago it was for dxg, now it is extended to android/boox platform. Following the below link, it should be easy to show a demo to make max mirroring monitor. It is working on windows and mac, anyone interested to mac, pls let me know.

https://github.com/nahtethan/dxg-display/blob/master/BOOXen.md

Quote:
Neither link works for me. And has this method been tested by you?
Edit: the github project is the old Kindle DX project. How would this work on a Onyx?
nahte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #53
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahte View Post
I wrote the github nahtethan dxg-display project. Two years ago it was for dxg, now it is extended to android/boox platform. Following the below link, it should be easy to show a demo to make max mirroring monitor. It is working on windows and mac, anyone interested to mac, pls let me know.

https://github.com/nahtethan/dxg-dis...ster/BOOXen.md
I didn't understand you had updated the program to Android. Using USB instead of wifi would make this much faster, and therefore possibly more usable.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 03-21-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:34 PM   #54
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
for those of you, who own a Max or N96, you can try the alpha version of our DesktopSync solution. Installation is a little bit complicated but is possible..
It is possible to extend or mirror your monitor with our devices and use it as second monitor.

I tested it on my Win7/64 system and it works. On a Win10-64 it didn't work yet, though .
Here are some instructions:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s158/...c96cee64f1d452

It is for test purpose only and for current devices only. For upcoming Max2 it will be another hardware solution based on HDMI connectivity.
Some feedback would be very appreciated.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #55
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
fFor upcoming Max2 it will be another hardware solution based on HDMI connectivity.
An HDMI input would be great for using the Max2 as a secondary monitor to a computer.

If possible, an HDMI output port would also be extremely useful for hooking the Max2 up to a projector.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:58 PM   #56
pochopsp
Connoisseur
pochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92 & Nova Pro
Don't forget there's a way to do it even on a Boox M92. I tested it on mine with windows 10
pochopsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:23 PM   #57
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pochopsp View Post
Don't forget there's a way to do it even on a Boox M92. I tested it on mine with windows 10
True. I could perhaps hook up a tablet to my projector and then use BT to tether my Max to the tablet...

But carrying around fewer devices would be preferable. The fewer the devices used in the setup would also likely mean less room for malfunction or error.

Perhaps an HDMI port that could work for both input and output? Is that possible?
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:12 AM   #58
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pochopsp View Post
I managed to get it working on my Win10/64. Thanks to this tip: https://github.com/VirtualMonitor/Vi...nitor/issues/7
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:06 PM   #59
pochopsp
Connoisseur
pochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92 & Nova Pro
Quote:
I managed to get it working on my Win10/64. Thanks to this tip: https://github.com/VirtualMonitor/Vi...nitor/issues/7
To tell you the truth I used Tightvnc to use my Boox M92 as a monitor.
I found the instructions on this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=2205243
pochopsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:21 PM   #60
ou4read
ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen.
Quote:
for those of you, who own a Max or N96, you can try the alpha version of our DesktopSync solution. Installation is a little bit complicated but is possible..
It is possible to extend or mirror your monitor with our devices and use it as second monitor.

I tested it on my Win7/64 system and it works. On a Win10-64 it didn't work yet, though .
Here are some instructions:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s158/...c96cee64f1d452

It is for test purpose only and for current devices only. For upcoming Max2 it will be another hardware solution based on HDMI connectivity.
Could you show us how well it works? There are existing technologies like VNC which works over Wifi and but is not quite optimal for EPDs.

Edit: Also it sounds like the device will handle the raw signals inside it rather than receiving taken screenshots. If true, there won't be any software installs on devices being mirrored, i.e. OS-free and hassle-free. Yay for me since I've always wanted an EPD that could work fast on Linuxes and public PCs.

Last edited by ou4read; 03-22-2017 at 11:04 PM.
ou4read is offline   Reply With Quote