Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
littleman
littleman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
text files and new lines

Hello,

I have some text files that I am trying to send to my Kindle and I have an annoying problem with new line formatting. I've uploaded files in the past and didn't have this problem, but now I am noticing it.

I have a text file that is formatted with new lines after a certain number of characters, something like this:

"one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen
fourteen fifteen sixteen seventeen eighteen"

But it is showing up on the Kindle like this (using the new lines from my text file):

"one two three four five six seven eight nine
ten eleven twelve thirteen
fourteen fifteen sixteen seventeen eighteen"

instead of something like (where it ignores the new lines in my text file and simply wraps the lines to fit the window of the Kindle):

"one two three four five six seven eight nine
ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen fifteen
sixteen seventeen eighteen"

Any ideas how to fix this?
littleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:08 AM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Either use a smaller font, or remove the newlines where you don't want them.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
The problem is that the text file has explicit newlines that the kindle is honoring, but the newlines are later in the line than the word-wrap wrap due to the Kindle screen size being narrower than the original text was intended for. It's a frequent problem with .txt files on all platforms.

Here are a few tools to try:

http://www.textfixer.com/tools/remove-line-breaks.php

And some instructions:

http://lucydebate.blogspot.com/2009/...ne-breaks.html

If you happen to use Linux [and possibly MacOS -- I think it has sed in its normal distribution] I can give you even better instructions.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
littleman
littleman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
text files and new lines

Yes, I assumed that was the problem. Previously .txt files that I've sent to my Kindle didn't have this problem (even though the original .txt files appear to be formatted the same to me). I was curious if there was some trick to get the Kindle to do the conversion without honoring all the new lines, except at the end of paragraphs and titles.

The first link you posted seems to remove all new lines including those between paragraphs (choosing the different radio button options didn't seem to make a difference), which I don't want. I found the page below to be slightly more flexible.

http://texthandler.com/?module=remove_line_breaks

I do use Linux and perl, and I've used sed but not very much. I was hoping there would be a simpler way without completely reformatting my .txt file.

Thanks for your help.
littleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, new lines, text, txt