Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-17-2009, 02:51 AM   #61
ninetynine
ninetynine began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilipp View Post
I'm currently writing a lengthy (and opinionated) review of the Classmate for umpcportal and should have it online by early January.
I'll be looking forward to your review. I haven't actually taken the plunge on the Classmate yet because I'm waiting on Acer's new convertible (11.6", CULV, multi-touch).
ninetynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #62
JussaReader
JussaReader began at the beginning.

NinetyNine

there are 4 Acer 1420p multitouch on Ebay right now...people who got it free at IDC are auctioning them off...u should check it out...prices are around 650-700 i think
JussaReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #63
ninetynine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JussaReader View Post
NinetyNine

there are 4 Acer 1420p multitouch on Ebay right now...people who got it free at IDC are auctioning them off...u should check it out...prices are around 650-700 i think
Thanks, but I'm wary of that model. I've talked to people who have gotten one and they report no palm rejection or pressure sensitivty. For some reason it seems to be missing the software that the 1820PTZ has (out now in Singapore) which allows for palm rejection. Plus, the 1420p's SU2300 is a bit weak on the battery life side.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:04 PM   #64
JussaReader

Any Classmate Owners, can you let me know how easily the screen scratches with the stylus....should I be ordering a screen protector?

thx kindly

Ray
Old 12-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #65
JussaReader

Mirus Support just emailed me back after 4 days. They say their version has both bluetooth and wireless N....
Old 12-17-2009, 11:36 PM   #66
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Quote:
I'm currently writing a lengthy (and opinionated) review of the Classmate for umpcportal and should have it online by early January.
That will definately be an awesome read. I was browsing around a few weeks ago and decided to go into Best Buy (What was I thinking?!). I had been looking at different netbooks online and one of them at BB caught my eye. It was a deep red ASUS 1005-HAB. I know, it may not be the best netbook out there, but for some reason I really liked it. The price wasn't bad either! $299. In fact, here it is.

I calmly walked out the door and later when my wife asked me what I wanted for Xmas - I printed out the above page. It is hidden somewhere in this house - I SENSE THIS. Its driving me crazy waiting to see all the cool things I can do with it. I've got lots of MIDs and eBook readers here, but for some reason I am very excited about this thing. I did, however, order the 2GB upgrade for it. I plan on reading books from Kindle, B&N, and others. I'm looking forward to reading PDF files on a netbook. Pretty soon I think we need to split this "Other Devices" forum into MIDs, Phones, Netbooks, UMPCs, and more.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:19 AM   #67
JussaReader

I used to own the Asus 1005

Cold Sun

honestly...you will LOVE the Asus...I had it for awhile...I loved it too...but I sold it...so I can save some money towards a tablet. 8.5 hours of battery life...matte screen...free online storage thru Asus...the keyboard is not bad...not quite as good as HP MINI, dell and Toshiba Chiclet style...but still easy to type on.

Hopefully you'll get one for xmas!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:53 AM   #68
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Sorry for the delay in responding to posts back on page 2:
Apologies for the error, the convertible is a Fujitsu/Siemens, not a Toshiba. It is a regular clamshell that converts (twists) to a tablet. I'm going to rescind my initial comments as my husband has been struggling with the PC for a few days now. The screen is nice though. The "Next Page" button on the tablet is broken, a hardware error, and so the machine has to go to service.

I've been reading more-and-more on the 9" Classmate, and it is becoming my favorite, especially for .lit books which reflow the text. Although since it came with the small battery I just keep it tethered to the wall.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:55 AM   #69
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One question on the Classmate:
Has anyone managed to program the blue (menu) button on the tabket screen to do a Page Down function? I tried, with the help of a few MR forum members, but could never get it to work. That would make it much easier to use.
Thanks!
Old 12-18-2009, 06:11 AM   #70
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Has anyone managed to program the blue (menu) button on the tabket screen to do a Page Down function?
If you get it to work, let us know. On my small list of complaints, not having direction keys is one of them. a page down would be better than nothing... and better than a return-to-desktop button. thanks
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #71
ninetynine

Quote:
If you get it to work, let us know. On my small list of complaints, not having direction keys is one of them. a page down would be better than nothing... and better than a return-to-desktop button. thanks
Have you guys checked the registry? I remember reading somewhere that it was changeable under a bezel button setting.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:12 PM   #72
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Tried. Can't find any bevel button. Of course it would help if I knew what I'm doing.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #73
JussaReader

another update: Mirus has called me back to say a technician was wrong in telling me it has built in bluetooth...so as it stands on CTL has built in bluetooth

thx
Old 12-23-2009, 05:18 AM   #74
rgeorg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JussaReader View Post
Any Classmate Owners, can you let me know how easily the screen scratches with the stylus....should I be ordering a screen protector?

thx kindly

Ray
I've been using the touchscreen off-and-on for about 6 months - no scratching yet. I do not write on it though, just use the stylus for "turning pages" while reading. In any case, I'd be careful not to press too hard.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #75
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Does this have a user replaceable battery?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classmate, ct9w7, dolphin, mirus, win7