Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-06-2018, 12:21 AM   #1
rednarb
rednarb began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note+
Handwriting Smoothness

I have recently purchased my first eink device, a Boox Note+ and I am really happy with the decision. Its been great so far.

I do however have a general question about the smoothness of the lines in the note taking app.
Maybe it is normal, but it seems like the writing lines are rather Jaggered/pixelated, to me. I tried to attached a picture to give an idea.

I've tried using the brush icon, the pencil icon, tried adjusting the line thickness and even tried using different tips on the pencil (Wacom ACK22203 Felt Pen Nibs, which, FYI feel more like writing with pencil than the hard plastic ones).

Every time, I come back with similar results.

Is there a setting I might be missing to make the text more smooth, or is this just normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pentest.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	168172  
rednarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:45 AM   #2
rednarb

If it helps I am currently running build number 2018-11-30_16-31.....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #3
zsdiogo
zsdiogo doesn't litterzsdiogo doesn't litter

Device: Boox Note 10.3
I also feel very disappointed with this. And actually, for devices that are so focused on note-taking, I find it very strange that almost no one is talking about that problem. I am pretty sure a software change by onyx could make the writing look much better (look for example to the new Lenovo e-ink hybrid pc; writing looks also pixelized when you draw something, but it then smoothens out much better than onyx's tablets do).

You might be interested in a thread I started here a few months ago. There is a method for modifying the PDF to make the notes look much better after you have them in your pc. This is post-production, though .
zsdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #4
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
I have not experienced this problem on the Note... Could it be a stylus issue, rather than a device issue? Did you try different pens, or only nibs?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #5
rednarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
I have not experienced this problem on the Note... Could it be a stylus issue, rather than a device issue? Did you try different pens, or only nibs?

Thanks zsdiogo and Jmirko for the feedback.

Unfortunately I haven't tried other stylus as I don't know anyone else with a similar device. The nibs themselves we're a bit of a gamble, but not too expensive so I thought I'd try that first.

Maybe I have to send an email to Onyx and see if they think it's a stylus problem. Really hope it's not a problem with the Note+ itself.

Overall I'm still really impressed with the Note+ the software features in version 2.0 are just great. I would love to solve this smoothness issue if I can.

Jmirko, if you have some time, would you be able to show me a sample of your handwriting lines? It would help me to understand the difference and maybe what I could expect.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:52 PM   #6
nozonyan
Enthusiast
nozonyan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Just chiming in to say I've got the same issue on boox note+
nozonyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:35 AM   #7
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednarb View Post

Jmirko, if you have some time, would you be able to show me a sample of your handwriting lines? It would help me to understand the difference and maybe what I could expect.
I did - please try this link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ueuJYgBB7SohXCRg6
Old 12-24-2018, 10:12 PM   #8
bobbyy
bobbyy began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2, Onyx Boox Note+
Yup, also having the same issue. Looks fine on the Note+ but turns much more ugly in the exported pdf.
bobbyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:05 PM   #9
zsdiogo
zsdiogo doesn't litterzsdiogo doesn't litter

Device: Boox Note 10.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
I did - please try this link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ueuJYgBB7SohXCRg6
The writing in your pic does look pixelated... and after exporting it to a pdf it would probably be even more clear that it is not smooth at all.
I really don't understand why this is not addressed by Onyx. Anotated pdfs look so bad. And the tablet has such an amazing potential...
zsdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:20 AM   #10
Jmirko
Recovered collector

I guess we have different expectations. I used to have a Boox X60 and an M92 and the writing on those did look pixelated. The Note is way better in this regard. To be fair, I almost never use the exported files, they may be worse than they look on the screen.
Since this seems to be bothering quite a few people, you may consider commenting on http://bbs.onyx-international.com/ . They seem to be reading those.