Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-29-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
Derf
Connoisseur
Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD / Mac User
Do I have ADD? Why do I have to put a book down?

So I notice that when I watch a movie, I can sit through the whole thing no problem. I actually DESPISE (and I don’t use that word lightly) commercials. I can’t watch made for TV programming with the commercial breaks. I PAY for YouTube red just to avoid commercials like the plague. I also have Netflix, but no cable tv. I can binge watch a series as well as the next guy.

When I’m on a computer, I can focus for hours. Or at least I can sit for hours reading. I read scientific papers, forums, reviews, news. And unless I need to pee I don’t feel the need to get up. I can watch 50 YouTube videos and wonder where the day went.

I don’t use Twitter, or Snapchat, or instagram. I see them as frivolous. I rarely use Facebook, and when I do it’s just to share something I read or saw, not to sit for half an hour reading up on friends and stuff.

I love reading novels. But whenever I get to a really exciting, or thrilling moment in a book, it’s like I can’t process all the chemicals (dopamine? adrenaline?) flowing through my head. And I actually have to put the book down for a bit and do something else. I’ll go the fridge and get a drink. Or make some food. Or go brush my teeth. Or check my phone for who texted me earlier that I ignored. And then in a couple minutes I’ll be fine and want to go back to read what happens next.

What’s wrong with me? I hate it when the suspenseful part of a movie gets going and it breaks for commercials. I imagine most other readers would hate it if they were interrupted just as the going gets good. But it’s like some kind of emotional (?) overload for me, and I need to decompress for a hot minute to process it before I keep going.

Any psychological explanation for this?
Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:35 PM   #2
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I don't know if there is a psychological explanation for it, but I do EXACTLY the same thing. Plus, if I'm really enjoying a book, I purposely slow down my reading so it won't end. I can't wait to know what happens but I don't want to finish the book either. I'm very interested in any theories about this topic, because my daughter is the exact opposite. If she is reading and gets to an exciting part, she reads faster and won't put the book down until she finishes.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:54 PM   #3
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I don't know if there is a psychological explanation for it, but I do EXACTLY the same thing. Plus, if I'm really enjoying a book, I purposely slow down my reading so it won't end. I can't wait to know what happens but I don't want to finish the book either. I'm very interested in any theories about this topic, because my daughter is the exact opposite. If she is reading and gets to an exciting part, she reads faster and won't put the book down until she finishes.
I have exhibited both yours and your daughter's behavior at different times in the past. I have no ideas about what causes it, but I very easily get sucked in by good stories.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
It could be a similar thing as the one mentioned in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=300088

Although they use the word "emotional" in the story, I read it to mean that more parts of your brain/physiology are involved when listening to an audiobook than when watching a movie. I would expect to be even more true when reading, because you're also supplying the voice/inflections yourself.

So that might fit your reading pattern - you use more brain energy on your books, especially in those exciting parts? - and need to take a break.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Perhaps a bit of self-hypnosis? I know that I can pick up a book and the next thing I know it's several hours later. Sometimes I also get where I have to put the book down for a few minutes when something exciting happens. I think it shows that the author knows his/her craft since they sneak up on us with an increase in the drama of the story.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:24 AM   #6
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Maybe it's a case of clearing the decks for action, in that you subconsciously are getting yourself comfortable so you won't be interrupted by the need for a comfort break.
maddz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I do the same thing at times, unless I'm already familiar with the story. That may be why I don't really mind spoilers and sometimes enjoy a book better the second time.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
It could be a similar thing as the one mentioned in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=300088

Although they use the word "emotional" in the story, I read it to mean that more parts of your brain/physiology are involved when listening to an audiobook than when watching a movie. I would expect to be even more true when reading, because you're also supplying the voice/inflections yourself.

So that might fit your reading pattern - you use more brain energy on your books, especially in those exciting parts? - and need to take a break.
Interesting. I think you may be on to something. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:30 PM   #9
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I do the same thing at times, unless I'm already familiar with the story. That may be why I don't really mind spoilers and sometimes enjoy a book better the second time.
Ditto. In fact, sometimes I will peek ahead to see if the dog or a favorite character dies, and once I know the answer (preferably "no"), I can continue reading normally and seem to enjoy the book much more. I guess I have very little tolerance for uncertainty. I have enough of that in real life.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:30 PM   #10
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Glad I'm not the only one who experiences this. When I start to really get into a book, I need to pause every now and then to gather myself and not get swept away by the excitement of it all. It's like a natural high that happens a lot with books, less so with other mediums like movies.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:11 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
Glad I'm not the only one who experiences this. When I start to really get into a book, I need to pause every now and then to gather myself and not get swept away by the excitement of it all. It's like a natural high that happens a lot with books, less so with other mediums like movies.
I think it might be because when you read a book you picture the images in your mind while with movies that is decided for you by the filmmakers.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #12
nellie27
Connoisseur
nellie27 doesn't litternellie27 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Tab A, Boox Nova Air C
I often do the same thing - put the book down when the action starts to ramp up. I'd rather be a bit refreshed and rested, so I don't slide over details or words and miss something.
nellie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:21 PM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
I think it has to do with the internal struggle of wanting to read it and at the same time not wanting to end it either. I usually end up reading faster (whether actually or imagined). And I think, phew that was intense, so for good measure I skip back and read that scene, or part thereof, again. Then pause right after, get up, walk around for a bit, reflect on it, and go back reading. Doesn't happen with all action scenes, only the really big ones.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #14
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Reading the original post makes me wonder if we've been conditioned by tv commercials to take a break at points of high action. I don't do this, but I will slow down my reading speed, especially in something like a whodunnit, to draw out the mystery. I'll even put my hand over the bottom of the book/reader to avoid my eyes skipping ahead.
The only books where I want to know the end even before I begin, are those involving cats. I'll ask a friend to read the last page and tell me if the cat is still alive. If not, I won't read the book.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #15
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
So I notice that when I watch a movie, I can sit through the whole thing no problem. I actually DESPISE (and I don’t use that word lightly) commercials. I can’t watch made for TV programming with the commercial breaks. I PAY for YouTube red just to avoid commercials like the plague. I also have Netflix, but no cable tv. I can binge watch a series as well as the next guy.

When I’m on a computer, I can focus for hours. Or at least I can sit for hours reading. I read scientific papers, forums, reviews, news. And unless I need to pee I don’t feel the need to get up. I can watch 50 YouTube videos and wonder where the day went.

I don’t use Twitter, or Snapchat, or instagram. I see them as frivolous. I rarely use Facebook, and when I do it’s just to share something I read or saw, not to sit for half an hour reading up on friends and stuff.

I love reading novels. But whenever I get to a really exciting, or thrilling moment in a book, it’s like I can’t process all the chemicals (dopamine? adrenaline?) flowing through my head. And I actually have to put the book down for a bit and do something else. I’ll go the fridge and get a drink. Or make some food. Or go brush my teeth. Or check my phone for who texted me earlier that I ignored. And then in a couple minutes I’ll be fine and want to go back to read what happens next.

What’s wrong with me? I hate it when the suspenseful part of a movie gets going and it breaks for commercials. I imagine most other readers would hate it if they were interrupted just as the going gets good. But it’s like some kind of emotional (?) overload for me, and I need to decompress for a hot minute to process it before I keep going.

Any psychological explanation for this?
My guess is it is just that you can choose to take a break with the novel and your emotions. I am curious. Why not do a little research. Next time with the novel, just stop and close your eyes for a few minutes and see if that releases the tension.

I would speculate that with the work type reading, you don't have the emotional build up.

But all in all, I don't believe it is ADD. I have ADD and I don't see a similar pattern.

My guess is that it is the "fight or flight" syndrome that the adrenaline is bringing about.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote