Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-25-2017, 01:53 PM   #46
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Not even mirroring to a fire tv ?
I find android screen mirroring to be hit and miss anyway. The smart tv in the lounge only shows on cast-to menus when it feels like it

I just setup my fire 8 again from scratch. I had reset and degistered it to try to sell it. It only took 30 mins to re-add all the Google stuff, moon reader pro., calibre companion, dropbox etc. And amazon auto restored a lot of stuff as soon as I re registered.
I do have a pc folder with the essential google apps and a list of the order to add then, so a one off connect of fire 8 over usb lets me copy them over, and the I just need one file manager app to get at them.... I backup my moon reader config to dropbox for each owned device so that gets me started on adding that to anything new. Moon labels them with device name and date which is helpful
Not even mirroring to a fire tv. When the new HD 10 came out, Amazon's website said it did mirroring. They have since removed that claim. I was going to get it partly for that reason, so I'm still undecided. I might go to Best Buy tonight around 9:30 to check it out.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #47
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
the .co.uk customer questions and answers section seems to confirm that mirroring is not available :

Review: WON'T MIRROR SCREEN TO FIRESTICK
NO SCREEN MIRRORING IN DISPLAY SETTINGS!… see more
By MR S CUTHBERT on 25 November 2017
Review: No support for screen mirror to tv
Have just discovered it doesn't support screen cast to my tv so now I'm disappointed. Otherwise it's very nice
By Mark N. on 21 October 2017
Review: Very good - but where's screen mirroring
…Only thing missing that I can see is Screen mirroring which I had hoped for.… see more
By Adam Zahorsky on 28 October 2017
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:37 PM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I was very disappointed to find that the 7th gen Kindle Fires do not have the "Use volume controls to turn pages" option for the reading app (like the Kindle for Android app does). I know using the physical buttons would not be practical for this purpose at all, but that's the setting that allows a bluetooth media remote to be used to turn pages while reading on regular Android devices.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #49
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

late update on the does it have 2 column landcscape in Kindle reader - YES
and my first impressions is that all the reader apps look good enough to keep me happy. maybe younger folks with better eyesight can spot the difference between this and my HDX8.9 which has greater ppi / screen resolution but I am very happy. have not tried applying any blue screen filtering yet. I think that is onboard & I also have an app for that from Google .
I bought a 32GB card to go with it , not realising it already as 32 GB on board, so I will not get the issue with my bloatware Samsung tab S 16Gb that keep running out of space and has me moving apps and clearing caches. ( cos I cannot delete all the preinstalled bloat)
amazon video looks good at full HD also., i think the sound is tinnier than the HDx but for serious streaming I use headphones anyway. and i shoudl not judge based on only a couple of playbacks. I have not tried netflix or plex yet. I read that the HD 10 has a truly awful camera abut I am not fussed,
with that
PS off topic but I wasted 1/2 day trying to add google store to a new fire TV stick, I tried every android TV apk version I could find for accounts, service, framework and store but nothing worked. I kept getting not compatible with your device. I could sideload google youtube to Fire TV but cannot sign into it. I sideloaded HBO NOW OK also but my free trial has run out and google is too smart to give me another free month a different email account
Old 12-03-2017, 01:12 AM   #50
stumped
Wizard

PS i found link that explains the greyed out install butt on sideloading apps - it is something amazon broke in fire OS 5.6 but easy to workaround
it applies to all tablet on the latest fire, which explains why I saw it on both the HD 8 and the HD 10
para 1 in this article
https://teleread.org/2017/10/14/how-...ew-fire-hd-10/
"UPDATE: Amazon’s most recent Fire OS update, 5.6.0, has broken the install button for third-party applications. Fortunately, there are a number of simple workarounds..."
Old 12-07-2017, 08:34 AM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anybody noticing any 5GHz wireless dropouts? It seems to have gotten worse for me after the latest update (5.6.0.0).

I was willing to entertain the notion that the fault might lie with my wireless network, but then other 5GHz devices don't experience the problem on the same network. The issue also seems to follow the device to other networks.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #52
stumped
Wizard

not as yet. my HDX tablet only went to 5.6 a day ago or so, but my new fire sticks came with that on board as did my new HD 10, I think. 5.6 has the greyed out install bug on sideloading. but it can be worked around. I am loading up versions of youtube on everything because of the latest amazon- google bust up which threatens to zap amazon versions on dec 31st.
I have watched both amazon & netflix in HD on the new fire sticks which obviously are wifi only ,& no drop outs or quality dips

its taken them ~3 years but I think they have finally gotten the fire stick design right- I must have bought and sold at least 4 of the previous generations, which would overheat and glitch. and at UK £25 in the black sale last week, what's not to like - I bought 2 ! . I just have to keep repeating the mantra " you do not need 4K- you will not be able to see the difference " until the desire to keep upgrading wears off.

wifi is such a pain to daignose e.g. I have a specific combo of 1 oldish dell laptop that will not work properly with one specific asus AP but works fine with router and with other APs, and works if I plus in a USB wifi to the laptop. but the bad pairing gives me speeds of 1 -3 when other methods give speeds of 50 - 100
it bugs me on principle cos I cant solve it. I can bypass it easily enough but that's not the point. If I have any amazon device wifi issues I will post back though.
my usual tools are go to fast.com on tablet browsers and go into the netflix app for a network check on the fire TV & sticks
does googling wireless dropouts fire OS 5.6 find anything

Last edited by stumped; 12-07-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #53
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I don't have any trouble with my FireTV boxes or Rokus, but those are all wired ethernet connections anyway. It's only the new 10.1" Fire tablet that seems to suffer. I notice it most when browsing. A page will refuse to load, I'll get a "can't be found error", at which point I'll notice that the Wifi icon is indicating no connection. Then it immediately picks back up and the page will load.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #54
stumped
Wizard

The last type Iwas being driven crazy by intermittent wireless tableterrors , I finally found a typo in my dns server 2 data in wifi advanced properties, I had put in open dns , got it right for dns 1, lost a digit in dns 2.
Some things, plex for instance, must use both dns values.so it kept saying my server was offline when it wasn't, or web pages would not load, for some sites, some of the time
Old 12-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #55
stumped
Wizard

I hit an sd card issue with my new hd 10.
Tried to download an Amazon video movie and got disc ok error fail.
Tried a different Amazon movie. Same result.
Tried a netflix movie. That was fine. And I have been storing and reading books on the sd card also a quick Google suggests i may not be alone with this issue and that Amazon movie downloads to sd cards is buggy, so I am returning the sd card before the returns window closes.
I suspect the Samsung sd card is actually ok but I don't want to have to troubleshoot this with amazon. Those same Amazon movies download to internal storage ok, and it is a 32 gb tablet, so I can manage without a sd card in it.

All my other devices only have 16 and So I sort of blundered by pre ordering that 32 gb card anyway, without checking The fire tablet spec. The onboard 32 is enough for me.
I'd be interested to hear it anyone has similar issues and what they did about it
Old 12-22-2017, 10:56 PM   #56
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I hit an sd card issue with my new hd 10.
Tried to download an Amazon video movie and got disc ok error fail.
Tried a different Amazon movie. Same result.
Tried a netflix movie. That was fine. And I have been storing and reading books on the sd card also a quick Google suggests i may not be alone with this issue and that Amazon movie downloads to sd cards is buggy, so I am returning the sd card before the returns window closes.
I suspect the Samsung sd card is actually ok but I don't want to have to troubleshoot this with amazon. Those same Amazon movies download to internal storage ok, and it is a 32 gb tablet, so I can manage without a sd card in it.

All my other devices only have 16 and So I sort of blundered by pre ordering that 32 gb card anyway, without checking The fire tablet spec. The onboard 32 is enough for me.
I'd be interested to hear it anyone has similar issues and what they did about it
It may be Amazon movies have to stay on the fire.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:39 AM   #57
stumped
Wizard

no . amazon made a big thing out of the ability to download their movies to sd card, also it worked OK a few weeks ago. i tested when card was first installed.
i just googled and read enough to make me not want to troubleshoot - as others had been given the usual clear cache..re boot... etc runaround.
once i tested and found 1. netflix would save to card OK. 2, amazon video ( same shows) would save to internal storage OK, I decided it was not an issue I wanted to live with..
if I had to guess I'd say that amazon have screwed up getting android write permissions to external storage in their latest OS upgrade.. as other apps - Netflix, calibre Companion.. has no issues writing to that card., & the write I/O error is as soon as the download attempt begins
Old 12-23-2017, 01:51 AM   #58
stumped
Wizard

FYI here is one report of a similar issue - I don't think my card unmounted though, it was just not writeable to by the amazon video app, yet OK with the netflix app...
https://www.amazonforum.com/forums/d...deos-on-new-hd
for me - having an SD card is all about reliability - if I can't trust to to always work, & to always play back what is saved to it,. then no sense having one...
Old 12-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #59
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
no . amazon made a big thing out of the ability to download their movies to sd card, also it worked OK a few weeks ago. i tested when card was first installed.
i just googled and read enough to make me not want to troubleshoot - as others had been given the usual clear cache..re boot... etc runaround.
once i tested and found 1. netflix would save to card OK. 2, amazon video ( same shows) would save to internal storage OK, I decided it was not an issue I wanted to live with..
if I had to guess I'd say that amazon have screwed up getting android write permissions to external storage in their latest OS upgrade.. as other apps - Netflix, calibre Companion.. has no issues writing to that card., & the write I/O error is as soon as the download attempt begins
What version OS do you have? I have 5.6.0.0 and it downloads fine on my HD 10 and HD 8. It only took a few minutes for 1.82 gb on each. Did you get the error right away? Was the size of the download the same for both Amazon and Netflix?

I am having a weird error on the HD 8 when it wakes up from a long sleep. I get a message on the lockscreen that says my SD card was removed unexpectedly or something like that. When I go to settings I see the SD card is available. I just wiped the HD 8 a few days ago so there shouldn't be anything to cause problems. Maybe there is a problem with SD cards on the latest OS but it shows up differently for different people.

Edit: getting the error message on my HD 8 isn't after a long sleep, I get it after a short sleep too.

Last edited by Purple Lady; 12-23-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 03:58 PM   #60
stumped
Wizard

Well I had another look at the tablet today, after sending back the sd card. My test download from netflix was still there so I must have downloaded that to internal storage, not to card I.e. It was not a like for like test. The io error was immediate from the Amazon video downloads.which made me suspect write permissions. It seemed to give up without really trying!
I spent a long time just now on Amazon reviews and on looking up as card grades and classes. No great insight except that the Samsung evo card, class 10, grade 1, was much cheaper than some of the others. Could be it was simply not up to handling the way Amazon video deliver the downloads. It was quite happy getting my small epub books via calibre companion though.
maybe the video downloads ask to write multiple transmissions, like an internet download manager, accelerator, or maybe they do not wait long enough for the card to send back ok I got that
I could have done more tests, like soft resets, restarts , but it was an easy decision to send it back and live without it, as I have enough internal storage space for now.

Amazon, on the tablet storage screen, say look at amazon.co.uk/firestorage or some such url,for recommended cards, but it's a dead link
I have the same Samsung we card in my Samsung tablet for a year with no issues, though I don't use the Samsung for Amazon video streams or downloads though has it can't do Amazon in hd. I have lots of apps moved to the card though to free up space. Samsung has a lot of bloatware so infrequently run out of space for all updates unless I keep clearing caches and moving them. Every time Google play updates an app on the samsung, it puts it back into internwl storage, so it's an on going maintenance thing. But that is with 16gb. Having 32 internal storage on the fire 10 feels luxurious