Notices

Old 11-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #1
LUW
Ex-paperboy
LUW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Oasis x Voyage

Hey guys!
I'm (maybe) in the market for a new Kindle, to replace my current PW. Other then the extended battery life, is there any advantage of the Oasis over the Voyage?
LUW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUW View Post
Hey guys!
I'm (maybe) in the market for a new Kindle, to replace my current PW. Other then the extended battery life, is there any advantage of the Oasis over the Voyage?
The Oasis doesn't really have appreciably extended battery life over the Voyage. The advantage is in ergonomics; when removed from the case, it's much lighter and some (including me) think it's simply nicer to hold.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
Isamilis
Connoisseur
Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isamilis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2015, Oasis, Paperwhite 2016
I haven't tried Oasis, but from many reviews, Oasis is better on ergonomic side (including lighter) compared to voyage. The battery life is similar.
Isamilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #4
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
And there are actual page turn buttons on the Oasis. Some like the haptic buttons on the Voyage, but they didn't work for me and I turned them off. After I got used to the feel and the lightness of the Oasis I've never read on my Voyage again.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've got both the Oasis and the Voyage and I switch between them. They're both excellent readers and I would be quite happy with either one. The Oasis has better ergonomics and is more comfortable to hold (imho), the Voyage has a bit darker, more "popping" text (the difference is minor). I agree that there is no big difference in battery life.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Voyage has the automatic light sensor, which personally I love. It's a real shame it was dropped from the Oasis.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Batteries are in the Cover of the Oasis. So Forget it miss lay it or it or the conections break then there is No Battery life. And with the cover on there are No ergonomics.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
If you're considering the Voyage and Oasis it's probably well to think about battery longevity, the overall lifetime of the battery. A battery is typically good for between 500 and 1,000 charges. The Oasis battery is, as I recall, about 1/6 the size of the Voyage battery. That means you'll use up those charges about 6 times faster on the Oasis and have to replace the battery.

The fact that it comes with a battery and charger built into the cover shouldn't affect this calculation. The cover is simply a battery charger although hopefully a sophisticated one.

I've mentioned this a time or two and so far the only reaction I've seen is from people who say they don't care. They want it for it's form factor and if it doesn't last as long so be it. I think that's perfectly reasonable but it's not my choice. I have a Paperwhite and a Voyage. I would have bought the Oasis when it was announced except while I sat there with my finger on the mouse button they sold out. I'm glad they did because after giving it some thought I decided not to get one.

From all the reading I've done about it (I've never actually seen an Oasis) I'm pretty sure I'd like it. But I'd worry about that battery too much and that would spoil it for me.

I do enjoy the Voyage. And the Paperwhite. And my Kobo. I guess I'm not really very fussy.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:11 PM   #9
LUW
Ex-paperboy

Thumbs up

Thanks for the feedback!

Since the battery life of my PW so far hasn't been an issue (I basically need to charge once or twice a month), the longer battery life of the Oasis wouldn't be a huge bonus. And everybody says that the ergonomics of the Oasis is better IF it's without the battery cover, so it looks like the extra battery life definitively won't be a selling point.

Looks like I'll go with the Voyage then. Now I just need to convince myself that I really need a new Kindle to replace my current one that is working perfectly fine .
Old 11-09-2016, 03:13 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback!

Since the battery life of my PW so far hasn't been an issue (I basically need to charge once or twice a month), the longer battery life of the Oasis wouldn't be a huge bonus.
The Oasis has a shorter battery life than the PW, not longer.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:13 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Batteries are in the Cover of the Oasis. So Forget it miss lay it or it or the conections break then there is No Battery life. And with the cover on there are No ergonomics.
The Oasis has plenty battery life for several reading sessions. And you can charge it separately from the cover.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:18 PM   #12
LUW
Ex-paperboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Oasis has a shorter battery life than the PW, not longer.
How much shorter?
And the Voyage compared to the PW?
Old 11-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
And the Voyage compared to the PW?
Voyage has the same battery life as the PW. I really don't think battery life is an issue on any of these devices, though.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback!

Since the battery life of my PW so far hasn't been an issue (I basically need to charge once or twice a month), the longer battery life of the Oasis wouldn't be a huge bonus. And everybody says that the ergonomics of the Oasis is better IF it's without the battery cover, so it looks like the extra battery life definitively won't be a selling point.

Looks like I'll go with the Voyage then. Now I just need to convince myself that I really need a new Kindle to replace my current one that is working perfectly fine .
Voyage is On Sale Nuf Reason https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Ref...MNKRJ4SJVY14EC
The New ones are not on sale this time. [Last week they were...cause I was also tempted]

Last edited by Barbara1955; 11-09-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:37 PM   #15
LUW
Ex-paperboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Voyage has the same battery life as the PW. I really don't think battery life is an issue on any of these devices, though.
That's my thought too. I *never* had to stop reading because I ran out of juice on my old Kindle Keyboard or on the "new" PW, even though the battery capacity of the PW is lower then on the Keyboard. But ergonomics is important and so is the back lit screen (IMHO the best feature of the PW, when it was introduced). But if the Voyage has a sensor that automatically adjusts screen brightness that would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Voyage is On Sale Nuf Reason https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Ref...MNKRJ4SJVY14EC
The New ones are not on sale this time. [Last week they were...cause I was also tempted]
Down here they aren't .

This whole new Kindle thing came about because my wife started using my old Keyboard and logically got envious of me not needing to use a lamp to read my PW in bed. So that got me thinking of getting a new model for me and passing on my PW to her. But like I said, I have to convince myself that I really need to spend money on a substitute for something that is working marvelously well .