Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #1
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Do Fonts Work On The New Booxes?

I played around for a while with the T68, but ultimately found that it was impossible to use because if you selected any font other than the default, bold and italic text wouldn't display because you had to select Regular/Bold/Italic subsets of fonts as separate fonts.

Do the newer models of Boox reader fix this problem?
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:54 AM   #2
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any word on this? I would really have to know before I even consider buying a Boox again.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:05 AM   #3
sogaiu
Addict
sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.sogaiu can decode base 64 without using a pencil.

Device: none
FWIW, on the Max 2 (firmware is 1.9.x here), using NeoReader v2.0, the font functionality doesn't seem to be a problem. That is, when I choose a font other than the default (there appear to be quite a number of choices for English -- over 100 IIUC), I can see bold as well as italic within a single document.

Does that answer your question?

Perhaps other folks can chime in with their experiences.
sogaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:00 AM   #4
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
I played around for a while with the T68, but ultimately found that it was impossible to use because if you selected any font other than the default, bold and italic text wouldn't display because you had to select Regular/Bold/Italic subsets of fonts as separate fonts.
I have a T76ML and I did not encounter this problem. I suspect the problem could depend on
a) the reading app you use and
b) on the specific font.

In general, my preferred font is DejaVu with all its variants in the family - serif, bold, italic, mono, etc. The fact that my preferred font family has so many variants possibly escapes the problem you describe.

Also, for epub, I prefer Coolreader instead of the other reading apps that are included in the device. Neo reader is fine for pdf, but we don't change fonts in pdfs.

I have not seen the newer Booxes (with Android 6) up close.

I don't deny that the issue exists for you. I have encountered something similar in Pocketbook's default reading app. However, it was present only when I selected some specific fonts that were limited in several ways, meant to be fancy or fantasy while lacking regular, italic etc variants.

Last edited by mobama; 12-12-2018 at 05:03 AM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

The issue I was talking about happened with all of Onyx's built-in readers. They regarded the regular/bold/italic versions of any font other than the default as separate fonts and wouldn't use them together, only all-regular or all-italic.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogaiu View Post
FWIW, on the Max 2 (firmware is 1.9.x here), using NeoReader v2.0, the font functionality doesn't seem to be a problem. That is, when I choose a font other than the default (there appear to be quite a number of choices for English -- over 100 IIUC), I can see bold as well as italic within a single document.

Does that answer your question?

Perhaps other folks can chime in with their experiences.
Okay, this is good to hear.