Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #31
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
You didn't just mention JK Rowling in the same breath as Salinger, did you? At least with her you can be sure that once she croaks, any old crap she ever wrote will be published. First draft of the Quidditch rules, anyone?
Why is there so much hate against J.K.Rowling? She's a great writer. IMO she's as good as Salinger, though I've only read Catcher in the Rye (which I liked a lot).
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #32
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I don't hate her at all. I've even read two or three of her books - they're quite ok, but nothing that would warrant the monster hype; as a child I read tons of books that were on a level with Rowling: just plain nice children's books.

While Salinger blew my mind when I first read him. He's a writer, not a story-peddler. Mind you, I have nothing against story-peddlers and enjoy many of their wares, but a real writer is someone who can change the way you see the world - Salinger is one, Rowling isn't.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #33
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
I don't hate her at all. I've even read two or three of her books - they're quite ok, but nothing that would warrant the monster hype; as a child I read tons of books that were on a level with Rowling: just plain nice children's books.

While Salinger blew my mind when I first read him. He's a writer, not a story-peddler. Mind you, I have nothing against story-peddlers and enjoy many of their wares, but a real writer is someone who can change the way you see the world - Salinger is one, Rowling isn't.
Maybe Rowling didn't change the way that YOU see the world, but she certainly did change it for many many children. I know at least 4 children personally that started reading books BECAUSE of Harry Potter. I also know 2 others that started reading because of Twilight. Who are you to say what will and won't change somebody else's life?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #34
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
You got me completely wrong. I myself started reading because of... can't really remember, but it certainly was something more along the lines of Rowling than Salinger. I'm not bashing her at all; but there's still a difference between books that simply entertain -- and believe me, I LOVE being entertained by books and understand that it is no mean feat to write books that fascinate people like the Potter series does -- and books that can do so much more.

But I understand that it is nearly impossible to discuss the quality of books in public.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #35
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You got me completely wrong. I myself started reading because of... can't really remember, but it certainly was something more along the lines of Rowling than Salinger. I'm not bashing her at all; but there's still a difference between books that simply entertain -- and believe me, I LOVE being entertained by books and understand that it is no mean feat to write books that fascinate people like the Potter series does -- and books that can do so much more.

But I understand that it is nearly impossible to discuss the quality of books in public.
Lmao.
Advert
Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #36
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Although I'm sure I'll read whatever comes out (since I have everything Salinger published on my shelf), I confess to being somewhat nervous.

While I think great writers write the books they themselves want to read, I wonder if writing for decades in a complete bubble, with no feedback from readers of any stripe, with no back and forth with an editor, is necessarily a good thing. Even for a gifted writer. I'm fervently hoping he didn't go off the rails.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #37
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Didn’t he already go a little off the rails in his later stories? I couldn’t make myself finish Hapworth 16, 1924, it had too much holy Seymour (and the Rosenbaum text that doubleshuffle linked to makes a similar case). Perhaps one should hope that he got back on the rails.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #38
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I can't wait to bump this thread in 2015 with an "I got them all" note.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #39
Rizla
Member Retired

Why is Salinger held in such high regard? He only wrote one, thin novel! It's a good book, but it's not THAT good. I don't think he merits the hushed reverence he seems to be getting.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #40
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
In general a book is considered good or very good if it brings up a specific theme, lifestyle or a specific narrative structure for the first time to a larger audience.

That is the reason why the books by J.R.R. Tolkien might be considered as literature, but those thousands of similar fantasy novels that followed are not, for example.

Salinger was a revolution in literature at his time. He changed the world view of hundreds of thousands of readers. That is a good reason to be rated as one of the most influential authors of the 20th century, I think.

Literatur is not just about telling a good story. It's about the author's integety, it's about his life and art, and the question if that represents something that is able to change history. Salinger's books changed history. And I think they are still able to touch a reader's heart if you like this sort of american literature.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #41
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Why is Salinger held in such high regard? He only wrote one, thin novel! It's a good book, but it's not THAT good. I don't think he merits the hushed reverence he seems to be getting.
He actually wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._D._Salinger

The Catcher in the Rye (1951)
Nine Stories (1953)
"A Perfect Day for Bananafish" (1948)
"Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut" (1948)
"Just Before the War with the Eskimos" (1948)
"The Laughing Man" (1949)
"Down at the Dinghy" (1949)
"For Esmé—with Love and Squalor" (1950)
"Pretty Mouth and Green My Eyes" (1951)
"De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period" (1952)
"Teddy" (1953)
Franny and Zooey (1961)
"Franny" (1955)
"Zooey" (1957)
Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction (1963)
"Raise High the Roof-Beam, Carpenters" (1955)
"Seymour: An Introduction" (1959)

I liked Catcher in the Rye, but I loved Franny and Zooey.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:22 PM   #42
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
If he didn't want the work published when he was a live, why should it be published after he died? It strikes me as his family is ignoring his wishes. Which strikes me as disrespectful and a money grab.
Well if he explicitly said he didn't want his work published ever, you are right. Is this the case? Again if I could grab legally grab a lot of money, maybe I would anyway. Perhaps you would rather live in penury , but some are not so proud. perhaps they have families to support.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #43
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
Thrilling news from the New York Times, August 25, 2013:

Film on Salinger Claims More Books Are Coming

Meh...
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #44
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Brahms burned about half of his compositions, believing they didn't deserve to be seen, let alone performed or published. The pieces that survived in other copies have led musicologists to conclude that the work he burned was probably as good as that which he allowed to survive.

Eugene O'Neill specified he wanted Long Day's Journey into Night to be published twenty-five years after his death, but his widow thought better and I'm glad she did. Consider the great productions we'd have missed -- and think of the catharsis which that play has afforded so many audiences. In one way, it's terribly depressing; in another, it offers intensities of honesty and compassion that can assuage a depressive's pain like medicine. O'Neill tore that play out of himself in pieces and that's exactly why it has helped so many despairing people.

The artist isn't always the best judge of what should and shouldn't be seen. Negative vanity -- that distorting mirror which allows anything to appear misshapen -- can make objectivity impossible for anyone.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 10-28-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #45
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Brahms burned about half of his compositions, believing they didn't deserve to be seen, let alone performed or published. The pieces that survived in other copies have led musicologists to conclude that the work he burned was probably as good as that which he allowed to survive.

Eugene O'Neill specified he wanted Long Day's Journey into Night to be published twenty-five years after his death, but his widow thought better and I'm glad she did. Think of the great productions we'd have missed -- and think of the catharsis which that play has afforded so many audiences. In one way, it's terribly depressing; in another, it offers intensities of honesty and compassion that can assuage people's pain like medicine. He tore that play out of himself in pieces and that's exactly why it can help despairing people.

The artist isn't always the best judge of what should and shouldn't survive. Negative vanity -- that distorted mirror -- can make objectivity impossible for anyone.
Reminds me of my grandmother who was the best baker in the town we lived in. When I was 3 or 4 I stumbled on a big box wonderful cookies, cakes and pastries that she was going to throw away. Nothing wrong with them except for being less than perfect appearance wise. Of course I volunteered to help her eat them.

A person has a right to destroy their own creations, but if they don't destroy them it seems that somewhere deep down they wanted them to be used. condemning their heirs for using them is small minded envy IMO.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote