Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #31
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are all of those that are having trouble finding the viewer controls that much of a newbie?
There's an awful lot of people who never right click on anything, irrespective of which OS they use, how old they are, or how long they've been using personal computers. I've had alleged 'software engineers' say to me, "Oh, I never knew that".

And I have the suspicion that there are some 'old hands' who didn't know the old viewer could be de-cluttered at the flick of switch.

BR
Old 10-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #32
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Jon
You and I just use the right click options. We always have.
I won't tell you the number of people I try and help (in person), that seem to have a right click phobia or use the Menu key (near the right Ctrl on std kybds. could be anyplace on the right for laptops ) on Windows keyboards
Old 10-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #33
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Clicking the right mouse button is just so intuitive. I did it without knowing that's how I get to the viewer controls. Are all of those that are having trouble finding the viewer controls that much of a newbie?
Yes, I'd find it very hard to believe that experienced users of mice do not know about the right click context menu, etc. I can imagine that some who go essentially mouseless for expediency as some high end MS Excel model builders, MS Word operators, data entry operators, programmers/software engineers, etc. are not so familiar, but in my experience they do know unless a very low level (such as in data entry). So I suspect the problems we are hearing of are perhaps from those who immediately throw their toys out of the cot when the first thing that comes to mind does not work, are not so experienced, or are having a moment.

Regarding theducks context menu key on Windows oriented keyboards I suspect many users don't know what it does (including those who use the 2 key combination instead), perhaps not even noticed it.

For those who rely heavily on mice I wonder which of the right or left click keys is used most, I find with Logitech mice it is the right key that fails to the dreaded Logitech "double click" fault first; makes me wonder.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:49 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
For those who rely heavily on mice I wonder which of the right or left click keys is used most, I find with Logitech mice it is the right key that fails to the dreaded Logitech "double click" fault first; makes me wonder.
I'm using Logitech mice and I've never had the left or right button have a problem.
Old 10-12-2019, 06:50 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I always right click if I see no other option and in this case, it worked. I got the options for the viewer. It was really simple.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:44 PM   #36
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
I'm using Logitech mice and I've never had the left or right button have a problem.
{Off Topic}

My son seems to have no issues either. So is something to do with how much of a brute one is.

It has been a widespread issue, much on the internet about it including how to replace the microswitches (which I have done on occasions with better ones, but later boards are multilayer which gets too tricky). In recent years Logitech seem to have started using better, but more clicky sounding ones in their non-silent mice; I have just had one of them fail too though (right one, of course ).
Old 10-13-2019, 03:56 AM   #37
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You probably meant Calibre does not run on IOS or Android.
You are correct. I hate contractions, often they never make it from my brain to the keyboard and always drastically change what I'm attempting say.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-13-2019 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #38
rimckd
rimckd began at the beginning.

4.4.0 is a relative disaster for some Calibre users...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Easy there.. I'm not gonna try to get you to like the new interface, but everything is there. Right click on the page, or press the ESC key, to bring up controls, including font size.

The only thing really missing, that I've found, is a quick toggle between paged and scrolling modes.
The issue is that the users of calibre on PCs connected to large screen monitors with several feet between their eyes and the screen have to use and frequently ctrl+ & ctrl- to adjust the font size to cope with diplopia and other eye challenges which change, sometimes on an hourly basis, depending on the state of their neurotransmitters, every day.

Since these font size changes also change the size of the Reader GUI font, at larger font sizes destroying its usability, the new Reader GUI is, for them, and I'm one of "them", an absulute non-starter. For me and other visually-challenged users the new GUI is a Calibre-killer.

I assist several other people in care facilities with these issues and just finished reinstalling 3.48.0 with a warning not to update Calibre any more. They were so grateful to be able to read their books again.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:37 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimckd View Post
The issue is that the users of calibre on PCs connected to large screen monitors with several feet between their eyes and the screen have to use and frequently ctrl+ & ctrl- to adjust the font size to cope with diplopia and other eye challenges which change, sometimes on an hourly basis, depending on the state of their neurotransmitters, every day.

Since these font size changes also change the size of the Reader GUI font, at larger font sizes destroying its usability, the new Reader GUI is, for them, and I'm one of "them", an absulute non-starter. For me and other visually-challenged users the new GUI is a Calibre-killer.

I assist several other people in care facilities with these issues and just finished reinstalling 3.48.0 with a warning not to update Calibre any more. They were so grateful to be able to read their books again.
What exactly in Calibre 4.4 is a problem? Changing the font size in the viewer does not change the GUI font size. I've just tested this with 4.4 and the only thing that changes is the text size of the book. The new GUI works here with Windows 10.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-26-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:11 PM   #40
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimckd View Post

The Ctrl++ and Ctrl+- shortcuts increase and decrease the viewer font size in new viewer just as they did in the old viewer. And as far as I can remember they have done so since version 4.0 was released.

BR
Old 11-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #41
Arro
Arro began at the beginning.

Device: None
Unhappy Use Old "ebook-viewer" with Calibre 4+

Hi all!

Lots of chatter about the new ebook-reader...

After updating to Calibre 4.4.0 and deciding I really preferred the "old" ebook-viewer, I downloaded a pre-4.0 tarball [calibre release (3.48.0), 64-bit binary] and extracted the ebook-viewer, copied it to /opt/calibre/ and /opt/calibre/bin/ and set the owner and permissions.

For some reason, it just does not work - I can't even run the viewer (it's set to executable) and I am running x86_64 Ubuntu.

Anyone else tried this and had the same or similar problem?

I'll post if I get it to work, but I'm baffled for the moment.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:56 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arro View Post
Hi all!

Lots of chatter about the new ebook-reader...

After updating to Calibre 4.4.0 and deciding I really preferred the "old" ebook-viewer, I downloaded a pre-4.0 tarball [calibre release (3.48.0), 64-bit binary] and extracted the ebook-viewer, copied it to /opt/calibre/ and /opt/calibre/bin/ and set the owner and permissions.

For some reason, it just does not work - I can't even run the viewer (it's set to executable) and I am running x86_64 Ubuntu.

Anyone else tried this and had the same or similar problem?

I'll post if I get it to work, but I'm baffled for the moment.
What is it about the eBook viewer in 4.4 that you do not like? Doing what you did will never work. The viewer in 4.4 now allows you to have a toolbar like the pre-4 viewer and it's been made faster to load eBooks. I see no reason at all to go with the older viewer.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:22 PM   #43
Arro

Quote:
What is it about the eBook viewer in 4.4 that you do not like?
I just prefer the old viewer. (OK, there is that % read in the bottom right that I can't make go away).
Quote:
Doing what you did will never work.
How come? I take it the viewer is not a stand-alone component then...

Thanks!

Last edited by Arro; 11-28-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arro View Post
I just prefer the old viewer. (OK, there is that % read in the bottom right that I can't make go away).

How come? I take it the viewer is not a stand-alone component then...

Thanks!
The viewer is not a stand alone component. What is it about the viewer in 4.4 that you do not like? If it is the toolbar, you can add the toolbar to 4.4 in settings.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #45
Arro

Quote:
The viewer is not a stand alone component. What is it about the viewer in 4.4 that you do not like? If it is the toolbar, you can add the toolbar to 4.4 in settings.
I got the toolbar back. It's really just a personal preference. I was comfortable with and used to the old viewer. Is there some way to make the % read in the bottom right go away? It makes me feel like I'm taking an exam or something...

Thanks!
Closed Thread