Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Big, Thick, Meaty Anthologies - Or Not!

Anthology definition [Wiki]: "In genre fiction, the term "anthology" typically categorizes collections of shorter works such as short stories and short novels, by different authors, each featuring unrelated casts of characters and settings, and usually collected into a single volume for publication."

I purchased - for 99 cents from Amazon - an incredibly HUGE collection of novels, short stories, novellas, and novelettes - and would like to share this discovery. Here's the title and link:

"Halloween Collection Treat: 600+ Chilling Macabre Classics, Supernatural Mysteries, Gothic Novels & Horror Thrillers"

https://www.amazon.com/HALLOWEEN-COL...s%2C596&sr=8-1

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Maybe you have a skinny, svelte collection you could recommend, one meant to tease and tantalize the senses. Or perhaps, as in this instance, you can recommend a huge, fat, gross collection where fiction fat percolates and sizzles upon the screen like a greasy hamburger on a hot griddle.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-17-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:24 AM   #2
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Wow! More than 27.000 pages!
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
At one time anthologies were quite popular. I suspect that getting all the copyright issues ironed out makes it tough to put a lot of the ones that aren't in PD out as ebooks.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #4
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I'm the worst person for collecting anthologies, setting yearly goals to read them, and never doing so. I have a shelf filled with them but they're fascinating things. I have some of the large collections, of course, but I'm even less likely to finally start and finish those compared to the shorter length ones.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:54 PM   #5
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A few years back I spent all my free time and my free month on Scribd reading through Sense of Wonder: A Century of Science Fiction a book that advertises itself as being "More than one million words of classic fiction and essays!"

I quite enjoyed the book although it's a bit expensive.

On the other hand reading 2020 Vision 50th Anniversary Edition: 1970's SCI FI PREDICTIONS FOR 2020 (Jerry Pournelle) was amusing. There was a distinct lack of viral induced global shutdowns of society.

Oh, and this last Christmas I finally finished The Big Book of Christmas Mysteries (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard) which has some very good stories.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2020, 03:01 AM   #6
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've been assembling anthologies for MobileRead, of short stories in the L+70 PD, under the generic heading "Past Masters". Somewhere to stow miscellaneous short stories as for some reason I baulk at making an ebook out of a single short story. I'm up to Past Masters Five so far.

They're not big and bulky though; I usually work to about 100,000 words or fewer. (But would be if I put all five together...)
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:36 AM   #7
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
I've been assembling anthologies for MobileRead, of short stories in the L+70 PD, under the generic heading "Past Masters". Somewhere to stow miscellaneous short stories as for some reason I baulk at making an ebook out of a single short story. I'm up to Past Masters Five so far.

They're not big and bulky though; I usually work to about 100,000 words or fewer. (But would be if I put all five together...)
What a great find! I love short stories and these collections would be great for my commute. I got them all
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote