Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-01-2020, 06:21 PM   #4171
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Two books from the Undying Mercenaries series by B V Larson on sale for $1.99 Amazon only. Military scifi.

Blood World https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oreType=ebooks
Dark World: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oreType=ebooks
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:37 PM   #4172
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
And with a religious cult ready to buy up as many copies as required to get it onto the bestseller lists, as with all of his books.
Yeah, the history of Ronnie's bestsellers is more interesting than the books themselves.

Quote:
I did actually read all of these, many years ago, and while yes, they are terrible, there was some amusement to be had.
So you're the one who finished Mission Earth! I'm glad to see you've gotten past your bout of insanity.

I don't doubt that mixed in to ten volumes of crap there are nuggets of enjoyment. Maybe a good editor could have whittled it down to a single good book.

My limited experience with L. Ron convinces me he was a quantity over quality guy. Like he put out his first draft and moved on to something new rather than polishing what he did. That gives him a large body of work, but there's not a lot worth reading. I'd bet if not for the cult, his work would be OOP and forgotten.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2020, 01:27 AM   #4173
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I actually enjoyed Battlefield Earth. Of course, I read it as a teen. I couldn't get past the third book of Mission: Earth if I remember correctly.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:22 AM   #4174
Gandulf
Zealot
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
Many new titles in Amazon.com's daily deal:
A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine - $2.99 - Link
First in a series. Very highly regarded.
Who took advantage of the special?
Does it still cost the same, what does a Hugo do to pricing
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:26 AM   #4175
salty-horse
Addict
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandulf View Post
Does it still cost the same, what does a Hugo do to pricing
It was on sale on the 30th. (I don't usually post repeats)
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2020, 05:40 AM   #4176
Gandulf
Zealot
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
It was on sale on the 30th. (I don't usually post repeats)
Did a search for "A Memory Called Empire" only your post last year 16-02-2019 came up. Apologies then..
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:04 AM   #4177
salty-horse
Addict
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I would also note that ALL of the nominees, and a majority of the runner-ups, were on sale in the past year, and I believe I may have posted about all of them. you're missing out by just focusing on the winner.

Same goes for novellas.
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #4178
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
The Eon Series By Greg Bear $2.99 Amazon, Kobo and B&N
Omnibus of 3 books

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Eon-Legacy-Et...al-text&sr=1-3
Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the-eon-series
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:55 PM   #4179
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Nook HD+, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
So you're the one who finished Mission Earth! I'm glad to see you've gotten past your bout of insanity.
I read the whole series not too recently (maybe 10 years ago) because the library had them all and I had started, but not finished them as a teen. They actually are quite funny, although much of the humor is heavy-handed and you can see all of L. Ron's pet peeves clearly. Even in their current state they read quickly, I finished each book (and they're all pretty thick) much quicker than I expected. They really need drastic editing, (as I like to say, they need editing with an ax) cutting it down to a trilogy would likely make for some seriously funny and quick-reading books that most people would enjoy. I don't regret reading the whole series once, although I'll never do it again.

If you can get them from the library go for it, but don't spend any money on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
The Eon Series By Greg Bear $2.99 Amazon, Kobo and B&N
Omnibus of 3 books

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Eon-Legacy-Et...al-text&sr=1-3
Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the-eon-series
These are quite excellent books, highly, highly recommended. At this price they're a huge bargain.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #4180
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Maybe cutting them with an ax would make them horrendously funny!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #4181
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I read that series as it came out. It has something in common with John Norman’s Gor books: they’re the only books I’ve deliberately tossed out of my collection.

Note that I don’t consider selling a physical book after getting the ebook to be the same thing; I’ve done that plenty of times. Similarly, books I’ve lost to other causes don’t count. These I just plain got rid of.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #4182
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Blackberry Playbook, Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70
What scares me is that all of the Gor books are available in Canada with a Kobo Plus subscription.

I've heard such terrible things about them, I might take a look at the first one just to see how bad it really is... (I decided to take advantage of the free month trial.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:47 PM   #4183
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
What scares me is that all of the Gor books are available in Canada with a Kobo Plus subscription.

I've heard such terrible things about them, I might take a look at the first one just to see how bad it really is... (I decided to take advantage of the free month trial.)
You poor soul. I read the first book in the series back in the late sixties and then read the next one because "they can't all be that bad" (those were the ones that read like a Edgar Rice Burroughs pastiche). I was wrong.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:57 PM   #4184
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post

The first 3 (or 4) are not bad. They're very 'Burroughs-ish' and 'Kline-ish'.

The rest stink something horrible.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #4185
cc_in_oh
Joker
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
3 or 4 years ago I tried to sell off about 20 sets of old books. Most I couldn't give away but amazingly the 10 or so Gor books got several bidders and netted about $35...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote