Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-08-2020, 06:38 PM   #4216
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I will say that I do like that torrid art work by Boris Vallejo on the covers of earlier ones.
Boris Vallejo art always strikes me as the cheesier version of Frank Frazetta.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:43 PM   #4217
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The first 3 or 4 are not like the rest of the series.
Looking back at the Boris Vallejo covers, they do regularly show bound women. But then, the artwork being Boris, it didn't strike me as especially odd at the time. Distasteful, but I often found Boris to be distasteful.

Fantasy has come a long way since then.

Quote:
If you enjoy Burroughs-type fiction, then you might enjoy those first 3 or 4 in that series.
Yeah. Before I fell down a Gor rabbit hole a few years ago and learned the bad aspects, all I could remember was that I thought the idea of a planet that rotates exactly opposite of Earth was a neat idea.

Quote:
That $9.99 price, however, is outrageous.
Yeah it is. Aren't there like fifty of these things? Wouldn't it make since to sell the introductory one cheap?
Old 08-08-2020, 08:56 PM   #4218
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Here's the original cover for the first Gor book. My copy (not this one) is in almost perfect condition. I bought it in 1966 and loved it. But then, after that 4th book, I couldn't stand to read his current stuff. I found it boring, long-winded, and pointless, among other things.

(I was so hungry for Burroughs and Kline back then, that I even bought the unauthorized Barton Werper Tarzan books. I also enjoyed the Torlo Hannis books by Charles Nuetzel. One title by Nuetzel - Slavegirl of Noomis - was probably inspired by Norman's popularity at that time. Concerning Lin Carter: I have, even now, a soft spot for his pastiches and still read him.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tarnsman of Gor.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	181196  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-08-2020 at 09:05 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:58 PM   #4219
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a humorous page parodying a typical Gor book, called "Houseplants of Gor," as the 'YouTube People' say (you know who you are!), located right below here:

http://www.rdrop.com/~wyvern/data/houseplants.html
Old 08-08-2020, 11:04 PM   #4220
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Here's a humorous page parodying a typical Gor book, called "Houseplants of Gor," as the 'YouTube People' say (you know who you are!), located right below here:

http://www.rdrop.com/~wyvern/data/houseplants.html
I have only one thing to say. A proofreader for the the love of whatever god (Allah to Zeus, your choice) you believe or don't believe in!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:30 PM   #4221
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 3a.
Quote:
I'll make it simple to understand:

Gor = Toilet + Vomit
E X C E P T . . . once you've vomited you can pull your head out of the toilet. GOR is a lot harder to get rid of
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:05 AM   #4222
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Cross posted from the horror thread:

The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross is $0.99 at Amazon US.

Sort of a mix of mundane office work and the Elder Gods.

Quote:
The first novel in Hugo Award-winning author Charles Stross's witty Laundry Files series.

Bob Howard is a low-level techie working for a super-secret government agency. While his colleagues are out saving the world, Bob's under a desk restoring lost data. His world was dull and safe - but then he went and got Noticed.

Now, Bob is up to his neck in spycraft, parallel universes, dimension-hopping terrorists, monstrous elder gods and the end of the world. Only one thing is certain: it will take more than a full system reboot to sort this mess out...
Old 08-11-2020, 11:11 AM   #4223
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke is $1.99 at Amazon US.

One of the absolute sci-fi masterpieces.

Quote:
In the near future, enormous silver spaceships appear without warning over mankind’s largest cities. They belong to the Overlords, an alien race far superior to humanity in technological development. Their purpose is to dominate Earth. Their demands, however, are surprisingly benevolent: end war, poverty, and cruelty. Their presence, rather than signaling the end of humanity, ushers in a golden age... or so it seems.

Without conflict, human culture and progress stagnate. As the years pass, it becomes clear that the Overlords have a hidden agenda for the evolution of the human race that may not be as benevolent as it seems.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:16 AM   #4224
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Cross posted from the horror thread:

The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross is $0.99 at Amazon US.

Sort of a mix of mundane office work and the Elder Gods.

This description does NOT sound boring to me whatsoever!

Got it.

Thank you!
Old 08-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #4225
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
it will take more than a full system reboot to sort this mess out...
Reboots never sort any mess out, they only kick them down the road a bit.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:29 PM   #4226
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
This description does NOT sound boring to me whatsoever!
I’ve quite enjoyed the series, although I’m a couple of books behind. If you have any of the “Best of Tor.com” novella collections, I’m pretty sure there are a couple of Laundry Files shorts in there.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 02:33 PM   #4227
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I’ve quite enjoyed the series, although I’m a couple of books behind. If you have any of the “Best of Tor.com” novella collections, I’m pretty sure there are a couple of Laundry Files shorts in there.

I think I have one; I'll have to go and check.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:39 PM   #4228
DrLimu
Enthusiast
DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrLimu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
I think I have one; I'll have to go and check.

Thanks.
There are couple availible on tor.com:

https://www.tor.com/2008/07/20/down-on-the-farm/

https://www.tor.com/2013/09/24/equoid/

https://www.tor.com/2009/12/22/overtime/
DrLimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:45 PM   #4229
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

^ I didn't have any of those stories.

I now picked them up.

Thank you!
Old 08-12-2020, 12:37 AM   #4230
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Blackberry Playbook, Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70
The Atrocity Archives is also on sale @ Kobo Canada & Amazon.ca for CDN $.99. I read this as a library read a year or two back. Good stuff; happy to own it at such a great price.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote