Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-18-2023, 11:05 AM   #1
proctorius
proctorius began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy tab 2 pro
Question Select which format opens by default?

Hello all of you wonderful people!

I have many books in both pdf and epub, ,merged into one record for the two formats. When I double click to open a book, it opens the epub by default.

Is there a way to make it open the pdf by default?
proctorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 12:30 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It will open whatever you have set your preferred output format too. You can simply click on the word "PDF" in the book details panel to the right to open the PDF.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2023, 01:02 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorius View Post
Hello all of you wonderful people!

I have many books in both pdf and epub, ,merged into one record for the two formats. When I double click to open a book, it opens the epub by default.

Is there a way to make it open the pdf by default?
This might help (not positive that it affects the viewer)

Preferences: Behavior: Preferred Output format

Also, you might adjust the Use Internal Viewer ticks (remove to use the OS PDF viewer)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 12:53 PM   #4
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It will open whatever you have set your preferred output format too. You can simply click on the word "PDF" in the book details panel to the right to open the PDF.
I wish so much this was a separate configuration
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 02:13 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Alt-V: View specific format
It is also on the Context menu (AKA right click)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2023, 03:56 PM   #6
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I'm aware of the known workarounds available for this, like the ones you mentioned.
However, the alternatives I tried didn't really satisfy the many ramifications of this setting. It would be nice to have Calibre see my *output format configuration* just as it's nominally meant to: the user preferred output format for conversions from EPUB/AZW3/MOBI.... whatever to PDF.

I find this issue difficult to explain and I think I've once opened a launchpad ticket about it, in which I wish I'd done a better job at explaining the usability case, but what it means roughly is that if one wants to have PDF as default output for conversions as well as the default double-click format to open a title with multiple formats AND to be able to click-to-open a result on FTS searches in all other formats except PDF (EPUB, AZW3, MOBI), it's not possible.

Please, Kovid

Last edited by Comfy.n; 06-19-2023 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-19-2023, 04:43 PM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
I wish so much this was a separate configuration
https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+filebug
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 04:44 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Or, assign 'V' to View Specific Format, and relegate View Preferred Output to 'Alt+V'.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 12:28 AM   #9
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1998992

Tags
format, merged, opening book, pdf as default