Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-21-2023, 10:10 AM   #91
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by manujedi View Post
One possibility to dump the partitions (now of course no longer needed as we have the update) would be to flash a gsi, but i didn't want to risk it.
Of course, with the 1.6 GB update we can Magisk and dump everything.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 05:31 PM   #92
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was working on making a custom recovery and things got sticky for a bit.
So I went looking for the UART.
It turns out, there are two missing zero ohm resistors.
You can bypass them, but you'll need a bit of wire in the solder blob.
The three larger dots on the left give you a connection point.
Be careful as those pads can rip off easily.
The signals are all 1.8V logic level, so make sure your USB UART handles that.
This only provides data before the system or recovery loads.

As far as what I was actually working on: I've got recovery working in SELinux permissive, with no authorization ADB, but I still have to root the ADB.

And yes, Secure Boot is verified to be off:
Code:
Format: Log Type - Time(microsec) - Message - Optional Info
Log Type: B - Since Boot(Power On Reset),  D - Delta,  S - Statistic
S - QC_IMAGE_VERSION_STRING=BOOT.XF.4.1-00297-KAMORTALAZ-1
S - IMAGE_VARIANT_STRING=AgattiPkgLAA
S - OEM_IMAGE_VERSION_STRING=huanggq-vm-1404
S - Boot Interface: eMMC
S - Secure Boot: Off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poke5uart.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	204870  
Old 11-24-2023, 06:54 AM   #93
Renate
Wizard

The custom recovery is coming along:
Code:
C:\>adb shell
# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root) context=u:r:adbd:s0
# getenforce
Permissive
Old 11-26-2023, 07:11 AM   #94
Renate
Wizard

The standby and shutdown images and the bootanimation might be sensitive to settings.
I can't guarantee this will work but they seem to be the default locations if you have disabled KCB.
Code:
pm disable com.onyx
Code:
/system/media/bootanimation.zip
/data/local/assets/images/shutdown.png  <-- This image is in landscape
/data/local/assets/images/standby-1.png <-- These are in portrait
/data/local/assets/images/standby-2.png
/data/local/assets/images/standby-3.png
Old 12-06-2023, 12:59 PM   #95
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i just got my poke 5 order and for some reason, one computer i'm using sees the drives (i've added a micro sd card to the reader) and another does not. for both computers the usb port is usb 3 (3.1?). any ideas to fix the computer that doesn't see the drives?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 01:28 PM   #96
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
I just got my poke 5 order and for some reason, one computer I'm using sees the drives...
I don't know. I've never tried the SD card. I don't use MTP or UMS.
The Poke5 is USB 2.1 the Poke3 is USB 3.1 FWIW.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:24 PM   #97
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I don't know. I've never tried the SD card. I don't use MTP or UMS.
The Poke5 is USB 2.1 the Poke3 is USB 3.1 FWIW.
i have the device set to use file transfer mode.

it doesn't show up with just the device and no micro sd card, either. something about the combination of this particular computer and the device is causing this issue. on another computer i use, it shows up.

i don't have this problem connecting the kindle scribe or my reMarkable using the same port and cable.
Old 12-06-2023, 04:01 PM   #98
rem736
purpose priority passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I've got it in my hands here in Ireland (pretty quick shipping!). Ask me anything

https://imgur.com/a/iKjCaDd
i'm not sure if this is normal. but the back of my poke5 is slightly curved. if i put the device on a flat surface (back side against surface) i can rock it side to side slightly. i'm wondering if this is a battery bloat issue or if the poke5 is designed this way.

if you put yours on a flat surface (back side on surface), is it completely flat? or can you also rock it from side to side?
Old 12-06-2023, 04:17 PM   #99
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
I have the device set to use file transfer mode.
Well, I tried "File transfer mode". I can see by the configuration descriptor that it's offering MTP.
File Explorer on Windows is not showing anything.
I found my pickle poker and put in an SD card.
I can see it at /storage/592B-C92C and /mnt/realtime/default/592B-C92C
I still don't see anything on File Explorer (which should handle MTP).
Old 12-07-2023, 01:49 PM   #100
rem736
purpose priority passion

Quote:
i'm not sure if this is normal. but the back of my poke5 is slightly curved. if i put the device on a flat surface (back side against surface) i can rock it side to side slightly. i'm wondering if this is a battery bloat issue or if the poke5 is designed this way.

if you put yours on a flat surface (back side on surface), is it completely flat? or can you also rock it from side to side?
i'm told that the back being slightly curved is by design.
Old 12-07-2023, 02:02 PM   #101
rem736
purpose priority passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Well, I tried "File transfer mode". I can see by the configuration descriptor that it's offering MTP.
File Explorer on Windows is not showing anything.
I found my pickle poker and put in an SD card.
I can see it at /storage/592B-C92C and /mnt/realtime/default/592B-C92C
I still don't see anything on File Explorer (which should handle MTP).
on the computer that works, even though set to "File Transfer" mode, windows explorer shows the device itself (just like MTP mode would). then double-clicking on the device would show the two drives on the device.

i just don't understand what is happening on the computer that doesn't allow it to work. all windows updates have been applied. and triggering a manual update for the "USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)" says that "Windows has determined that the best driver for this device is already installed".
Old 12-07-2023, 04:24 PM   #102
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Triggering a manual update for the "USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)" says that "Windows has determined that the best driver for this device is already installed".
Well, yeah, the hub (not necessarily a box, could be a root hub) probably has a good driver.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:10 PM   #103
rem736
purpose priority passion

i'm giving up on finding out why it doesn't connect via usb cable on one of my computers.

i found out that the "BooxDrop" app on the reader allows you to connect by entering the IP address of the reader from the computer you are trying to connect (e.g., 192.168.0.101:8085). this IP is just a sample IP. when you open the BooxDrop app, it will tell you the IP to enter as the url on your computer's browser. then just drag and drop from your computer to the folder of your choosing.

and of course, both the computer and your boox reader has to be on the same network for this to work.