Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-31-2019, 08:24 AM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And also, no reading on a tablet. You need to read either a pBook, or an eBook using a Reader. a tablet is also a distraction.
For you, maybe. But some of us aren't like raccoons that get easily distracted by shiny objects on the periphery. I got about 8 hours of solid reading time on my tablet in two sessions on Saturday/Sunday. Distraction is down to the one reading, not the device. Pick a different dead horse to flog.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:31 AM   #62
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
For you, maybe. But some of us aren't like raccoons that get easily distracted by shiny objects on the periphery. I got about 8 hours of solid reading time on my tablet in two sessions on Saturday/Sunday. Distraction is down to the one reading, not the device. Pick a different dead horse to flog.
Tablets also shine light DIRECTLY INTO YOUR EYE! Well, except for me. I read my tablets using a mirror to get that "reflected light" that is the only safe light to read by.

Seriously....have you ever looked directly at the sun?! Direct light can blind you.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2019, 11:35 AM   #63
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Reflect some of that sunlight into your eyes with a mirror and see how safe it is.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:56 AM   #64
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
LOL. You think so.

If the shoe fits ....

P.S. It's not me that has done the misunderstanding my dear.
If you've been attempting humor, it casts all your wall of text posts in a whole new light.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:58 PM   #65
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Reflect some of that sunlight into your eyes with a mirror and see how safe it is.
I'm having my wife type this as I confidently "read" the sun by reflecting it off a mirror first. Now I'm blind. I'm hoping this is temporary.

Now I don't know what to do. I seems that I can look directly into the sun and go blind. I can look at sunlight bounced off a mirror and go blind. Just what am I supposed to read on now that I know that both direct and reflected light will blind you?
Advert
Old 07-31-2019, 05:34 PM   #66
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Just what am I supposed to read on now that I know that both direct and reflected light will blind you?
I heard tell that lowering the brightness/intensity just might mitigate the effects of both. But that sounds like nonsense to me. I mean the brightest indirect lighting is still a bajillion times better for your eyes than the dimmest direct lighting. Everybody knows that.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:14 PM   #67
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Quote:
I heard tell that lowering the brightness/intensity just might mitigate the effects of both. But that sounds like nonsense to me. I mean the brightest indirect lighting is still a bajillion times better for your eyes than the dimmest direct lighting. Everybody knows that.
All I know is that in the 80's when I used to read on a huge, bright CRT screen from across a big desk sitting in a very uncomfortable office chair...I just couldn’t read a book more than 5 minutes.

Lesson learned. Tablets and phones are computers and computers are terrible for reading on.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #68
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
If you've been attempting humor, it casts all your wall of text posts in a whole new light.
Humor is part and parcel of my existence.

I do note however, that some seem to be missing their funny bone, so no doubt are immune to my funny ways ... goes right over their head. I guess that's what I get for using subtlety ... one of my personal flaws.

I'd cry about it, but I've done enough laughing for one day.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:40 AM   #69
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh and get rid of the game console as well.
If only. Tell my kids that.

Mind you, I was never able to master any console after the N64, so my console gaming days are well behind me.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #70
Timboli
Fanatic

Quote:
The flip phone is not to read with. It's so you can have a mobile phone without all the distractions of a smart phone and still have a phone in case you need to make an actual phone call.
I can't fault the sensible reasoning of that, but I prefer my interpretation ... it's more artistic ... and possibly funnier to some ... but clearly not others.

Quote:
And also, no reading on a tablet. You need to read either a pBook, or an eBook using a Reader. a tablet is also a distraction.
Heaven forbid .... I'd rather use a Flip Phone.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:45 AM   #71
Timboli
Fanatic

Generally I feel (certainly of late), that I read as much as I feasibly can ... considering.

As life has a way of interfering, even if it is just tiredness through being busy. Some nights or even afternoons, I only manage to read for a few minutes before nodding off. And some days I am just so tired, I don't bother to try at all.

Such is life, and short of taking drugs to stay awake (something I would not do), not much can be done about it, without somehow simplifying my life ... perhaps foolishly ... I mean, it is only reading after all, and life is about much more than that ... though for some, it rarely seems that way.

Age of course, has its impact. Certainly when I was much younger, I often stayed up to the wee hours, head buried in a good book ... then off I went to work. I was clearly much more resilient then, than I am now, at 60. I also have a more mature sense of priorities, obligations and responsibilities.