Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #1756
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I wonder why Chesterton got the full 600 page treatment, while the Tolkien and Lewis bios are mere pamphlets in comparison.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:09 AM   #1757
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I wonder why Chesterton got the full 600 page treatment, while the Tolkien and Lewis bios are mere pamphlets in comparison.
Oh my, why do I want to step into this?

First, The Chesterton book appears to have just over 300 pages, FWIW. A Tolkien book (about or by Tolkien) is next to the Chesterton book in a list of Amazon's recommended books on that webpage. However, it is a book for children, and they (the children's books. ha) tend to be much shorter than the adult ones.

I don't think that this is a case of bias, if that is what you're wondering about. If I really wanted to "step in it," I would give reasons for saying that. If you want to discuss it, PM me and we can talk about it in the P&R forum.

At any rate, the publisher, Jonathan Cape, is now a part of Penguin Random House, an American company. And American publishers have a very wide latitude in what they can publish and not publish. If they want to show bias, it's well within their rights.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-07-2019 at 12:11 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #1758
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, I see... so another Charles River Editors. Got it
Old 09-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #1759
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Charles River Editors, Free

The Battle of Grunwald: The History and Legacy of the the Polish–Lithuanian–Teutonic War’s Decisive Battle

Charles Ponzi and the Ponzi Scheme: The History and Legacy of 20th Century America’s Most Famous Con Artist

The Pioneer Program: The History and Legacy of NASA’s Unmanned Space Missions to the Outer Solar System

ADD

Ancient Egyptian Language and Writing: The History and Legacy of Hieroglyphs and Scripts in Ancient Egypt

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=digital-t...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?i=digital...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.ca/s?i=digital-te...+river+editors

Last edited by Little.Egret; 09-09-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #1760
itisbomb
Addict
itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 4
The Birth of the West: Rome, Germany, France, and the Creation of Europe in the Tenth Century
by Paul Collins

is $2.99 at U.S. stores

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Birth-West-Ge...t%2C406&sr=1-1

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the...-of-the-west-2

Below is the blurb:
The tenth century dawned in violence and disorder. Charlemagne's empire was in ruins, most of Spain had been claimed by Moorish invaders, and even the papacy in Rome was embroiled in petty, provincial conflicts. To many historians, it was a prime example of the ignorance and uncertainty of the Dark Ages. Yet according to historian Paul Collins, the story of the tenth century is the story of our culture's birth, of the emergence of our civilization into the light of day.

The Birth of the West tells the story of a transformation from chaos to order, exploring the alien landscape of Europe in transition. It is a fascinating narrative that thoroughly renovates older conceptions of feudalism and what medieval life was actually like. The result is a wholly new vision of how civilization sprang from the unlikeliest of origins, and proof that our tenth-century ancestors are not as remote as we might think.
itisbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2019, 09:54 AM   #1761
itisbomb
Addict
itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 4
The History of the Medieval World: From the Conversion of Constantine to the First Crusade
by Susan Wise Bauer

is $2.99 at U.S. stores

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...api_tkin_p1_i0

Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/the...-first-crusade

Below is the blurb:
A masterful narrative of the Middle Ages, when religion became a weapon for kings all over the world.

From the schism between Rome and Constantinople to the rise of the T’ang Dynasty, from the birth of Muhammad to the crowning of Charlemagne, this erudite book tells the fascinating, often violent story of kings, generals, and the peoples they ruled.

In her earlier work, The History of the Ancient World, Susan Wise Bauer wrote of the rise of kingship based on might. But in the years between the fourth and the twelfth centuries, rulers had to find new justification for their power, and they turned to divine truth or grace to justify political and military action. Right thus replaces might as the engine of empire.

Not just Christianity and Islam but the religions of the Persians and the Germans, and even Buddhism, are pressed into the service of the state. This phenomenon—stretching from the Americas all the way to Japan—changes religion, but it also changes the state.
itisbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #1762
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
The Woman Who Smashed Codes by Jason Fagone is $2.99 at Amazon, Kobo and B&N. This sale was posted on Tuesday, but I don't know for how long it will be there.

Quote:
One of NPR’s Best Books of 2017! Although Elizebeth Smith Friedman was one of World War II’s greatest codebreakers, her story has not yet been told. An integral player in shaping modern intelligence, Elizebeth led a life that “should be the subject of a future Wonder Woman movie” (The New York Times).
Sorry for the lack of links. My wireless mouse has failed and while I can copy and paste text, I can't seem to copy and paste the link. Laptops have their troubles.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #1763
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
The Woman Who Smashed Codes by Jason Fagone is $2.99 at Amazon, Kobo and B&N. This sale was posted on Tuesday, but I don't know for how long it will be there.

Sorry for the lack of links. My wireless mouse has failed and while I can copy and paste text, I can't seem to copy and paste the link. Laptops have their troubles.
Looks yummy!! Here's the link: https://smile.amazon.com/Woman-Who-S...8310180&sr=8-1
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #1764
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Quote:

I have this book and it is a good read (IMO)
Old 09-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #1765
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post

The Battle of Grunwald: The History and Legacy of the the Polish–Lithuanian–Teutonic War’s Decisive Battle

Charles Ponzi and the Ponzi Scheme: The History and Legacy of 20th Century America’s Most Famous Con Artist

The Pioneer Program: The History and Legacy of NASA’s Unmanned Space Missions to the Outer Solar System

ADD

Ancient Egyptian Language and Writing: The History and Legacy of Hieroglyphs and Scripts in Ancient Egypt

These never come up as free in UK.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #1766
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Elizebeth Smith Friedman is also prominently described in Code Girls, by Liza Mundy, which covers the larger scope of the entire WWII code-breaking effort, and is IMO a great read. I usually read non-fiction books in fits-and-starts over a week or two, but I read Code Girls over a single weekend. So, I'm going to give this one a try too. It is still at $2.99, at least as of 6 am US Pacific time on Sept 13.

Sadly Code Girls is not on sale at this time, but if you read and enjoy this book, you might eReaderIQ it .

Quote:

Last edited by sufue; 09-13-2019 at 08:51 AM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #1767
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
These never come up as free in UK.
Strange since I hace

[B]Charles Ponzi and the Ponzi Scheme: The History and Legacy of 20th Century America’s Most Famous Con Artist[/B

You purchased this item on 07 September 2019.

But Ereaderiq didn't track thm.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #1768
Little.Egret
Wizard

Babe Ruth: The Life and Legacy of Major League Baseball’s Most Famous Player

Old 09-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #1769
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I think it can be easy to have a gap in one's knowledge of history in the range of stuff that happened maybe 10 - 20 years before one hits high school or college. One was too young (or not even born) to remember events personally, and yet the events aren't historical enough to have been incorporated into standard textbooks.

For me, this period covers the events leading up to and the early years of the Vietnam War. I started noticing politics and wars and things towards the end of the war, but I was too young to remember the beginnings, and our high school history book ended shortly after the start of the Cold War.

So, this is all a long-winded way of saying that I'm happy to see a highly rated (4.6 out of 5.0, with almost 200 reviews, and per the blurb, a Sunday Times bestseller) history of the war on sale for £0.99 as part of the Daily Deal today at Kindle UK.

Vietnam: An Epic History of a Divisive War 1945-1975 by Sir Max Hasting: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vietnam-Epi...dp/B07C96DX1C/

Spoiler:
Quote:
THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER
‘His masterpiece’ Antony Beevor, Spectator
‘A masterful performance’ Sunday Times
‘By far the best book on the Vietnam War’ Gerald Degroot, The Times, Book of the Year

Vietnam became the Western world’s most divisive modern conflict, precipitating a battlefield humiliation for France in 1954, then a vastly greater one for the United States in 1975. Max Hastings has spent the past three years interviewing scores of participants on both sides, as well as researching a multitude of American and Vietnamese documents and memoirs, to create an epic narrative of an epic struggle. He portrays the set pieces of Dienbienphu, the Tet offensive, the air blitz of North Vietnam, and less familiar battles such as the bloodbath at Daido, where a US Marine battalion was almost wiped out, together with extraordinary recollections of Ho Chi Minh’s warriors. Here are the vivid realities of strife amid jungle and paddies that killed 2 million people.

Many writers treat the war as a US tragedy, yet Hastings sees it as overwhelmingly that of the Vietnamese people, of whom forty died for every American. US blunders and atrocities were matched by those committed by their enemies. While all the world has seen the image of a screaming, naked girl seared by napalm, it forgets countless eviscerations, beheadings and murders carried out by the communists. The people of both former Vietnams paid a bitter price for the Northerners’ victory in privation and oppression. Here is testimony from Vietcong guerrillas, Southern paratroopers, Saigon bargirls and Hanoi students alongside that of infantrymen from South Dakota, Marines from North Carolina, Huey pilots from Arkansas.

No past volume has blended a political and military narrative of the entire conflict with heart-stopping personal experiences, in the fashion that Max Hastings’ readers know so well. The author suggests that neither side deserved to win this struggle with so many lessons for the 21st century about the misuse of military might to confront intractable political and cultural challenges. He marshals testimony from warlords and peasants, statesmen and soldiers, to create an extraordinary record.

Last edited by sufue; 09-15-2019 at 10:07 AM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:03 PM   #1770
Little.Egret
Wizard

David Dixon Porter: The Life and Legacy of the Distinguished Union Rear Admiral during the Civil War

Babe Ruth: The Life and Legacy of Major League Baseball’s Most Famous Player