Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2019, 10:56 PM   #151
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
There's one thing I'm worried about though. I like to read on my left side while lying in bed, will it automatically go to landscape mode then? I hope not...
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:01 PM   #152
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
There's one thing I'm worried about though. I like to read on my left side while lying in bed, will it automatically go to landscape mode then? I hope not...
I don't have a Forma, but I do remember reading that you can lock the rotation.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:28 PM   #153
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
But as been said before, the crispness of the screen does not have to be the most important thing.
No, it isn't. I actually prefer my Oases to my Voyage, because they're better in every other regard (larger screen, real buttons, frontlight more even, ergonomics etc. etc.) I'm just interested how the Libra looks side-by-side with the Voyage.
Quote:
I'll let you guys know on Tuesday when I receive the Libra.
Thank you.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:37 PM   #154
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't have a Forma, but I do remember reading that you can lock the rotation.
You are correct. You can lock it to either Portrait or Landscape and it will "flip" in the locked orientation, but won't flip between Portrait and Landscape. Or you can leave it completely unlocked and it will rotate all 4 ways.

@SusanReads - I often read on my side in bed and it works fine (and rotates to the other way if you roll to the other side)
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:54 AM   #155
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Robko, that's good to know!
I'm now getting more and more excited for the Libra.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:50 AM   #156
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I am personally not a fan of the Oasis lopsided design that Kobo copied. I do not find them any easier/more pleasant to hold, and I miss the ability to to switch hands without having to rotate the device. That being said, the forma has brought enough other improvements to the table, on *everything*, I've never for a moment considered using anything else for my actual leisure time since I got it.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:43 PM   #157
bonnerable
Connoisseur
bonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kobo Mini, Glo HD, Inkbook Prime HD, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
Nice ! I like the tannish color or is it or light gold ? Either way I would like to see more colors too. Be sure to show these to Kobo for inspiration.
In my mind it's just light brown. But your description sounded better lol
bonnerable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #158
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Just pre-ordered the white Libra with the gray case.

I've had a white Sony PRS and a white Glo, but their screens were gray, and not lighted, so it was not a good idea for the screen. But I looked at my Forma with white paper bands covering the black, with and without light, and since I always read with the light on, I thought it was fine. Also, less finger marks.

I think the light gray case is a good idea: my "white" cases for the Sony and the Glo were not the same white as the cases (yellowish I think for the Sony), and I like light gray/white - very zen, no distraction from what is important: reading.

I'll see next Tuesday whether the effective gray is ok - too often the color on my PC is much better than the reality. I didn't like the other colors anyway, and I don't want yet another black cover.

EDIT: My reasons for moving from the H2o2 to the Libra for my 2nd reader
* I regularly have to switch from the Forma to the H2o2, for charging mainly, and I miss very much the balance and keep trying for buttons
* and it is not a waste since a sister in law will be very pleased to inherit the H2o2 (her young daughter has had my old Aura for years and doesn't want to change)

Last edited by anacreon; 09-14-2019 at 08:52 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #159
pinktank
Enthusiast
pinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: none
Is there a definite word on the Libra backlight being PWM or not?
pinktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #160
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
This Dutch review states there is no banding like with the Forma. The front light is even over the whole screen.

https://rsnijders.info/vakblog/2019/...n-de-praktijk/
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:27 PM   #161
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
This Dutch review states there is no banding like with the Forma. The front light is even over the whole screen.

That's promising! It seems like the Libra might really become my first Kobo reader.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:16 PM   #162
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktank View Post
Why on earth would you care? If it is done properly, such as on the Forma, you won't notice it and it won't affect you.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:11 AM   #163
SusanReads
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post

I read this review yesterday and was glad someone finally commented on the issue some people have with the Forma's lighting! The fact that the Libra seems so have a very good evenly lit screen is making me all kinds of excited! I do love a good screen. No distractions during reading.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:15 AM   #164
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktank View Post
The Libra frontlight does not use PWM. Also note that a backlight on an eInk display is not possible since the display is opaque. Though since the Forma uses 1000 Hertz modulation frequency which is well above the 400Hz modulation frequency at which complaints about effects from PWM seem to essentially disappear, it's a matter of indifference to me.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-15-2019 at 01:19 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:11 PM   #165
pinktank
Enthusiast
pinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankindpinktank has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: none
I don't know what else to say other than it does affect me, perhaps I'm hyper-sensitive to PWM flicker? Regardless, thanks for the note. I'm curious for a screen rendition comparison with the forma. Between the substrates and the top layer text can look very different between two readers of the same resolution. Goodereader reviews are not a good source for this because they have uneven glare (the left reader will have more glare) in the way they are lit. They need to change their camera / lighting setup.
pinktank is offline   Reply With Quote