Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2019, 04:04 AM   #46
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Glo HD, H2o2, Clara, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
How does the Forma feel if you read in landscape mode with the grip below? I suspect for some of the PDFs I need to read I'll need to use landscape and I don't always have access to a table to rest my device on (especially on the train where sometimes getting a seat is difficult).
I've never read in landscape mode when standing. While sitting I tend to alternate between
* reading left-handed, almost like holding a violin: the weight mostly in the interval between thumb and index, 3 long fingers balancing the back, little finger balancing bottom right, and the thumb resting on the right button (forward), sliding to the left for backwards when necessary
* reading with both hands, mostly when I need tactile functions like calling up a dictionary or a search.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:40 AM   #47
maddz
Guru
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7, Aluratek Libre
Might go for a Forma then because of 32GB. We're in Milton Keynes this weekend so I might try John Lewis there given we'll be staying fairly close. I already know that the MK PC World doesn't carry it.

I think if I get one of those diagonal straps it will help. Not sure if I want to pay Kobo price for a sleep case; I can get a neoprene sleeve, possibly with a stiffener.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Maybe sometime when she's reading on the Sony you could say something like "how do you manage to read on such a small screen" and see what response you get. If she says something like "I love this Sony because it's small and easy to carry everywhere I go" or "This Sony is really too small, but it was all I could get at the time, and I wish it were bigger" then you'll have an answer
Sorry, but that's not going to work. She may think a 6" screen is good enough, but change her mind once she uses a larger screen. I read on a 6" screen for a long time and when I moved to a 6.8" screen, I was hooked on a larger screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #49
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 2 & 3, Nook Glowlight Plus (7.8'')
I would go for the Libra. The Forma might be just too big for her. I have two Kindle Oases with 7'' screens and a Nook with a 7.8'' screen. I would not really want the screen to be any bigger than the Nook's and actually slightly prefer the Kindles.

I've been eyeballing the new Libra since it was announced, but haven't decided yet whether I really want it. Depends on the incoming user reviews, I guess. I was not particularly attracted to the Forma. Your lady's mileage may vary, of course.

(And yes, I'm a woman. Not that it really matters in such things.)
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #50
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Maybe sometime when she's reading on the Sony you could say something like "how do you manage to read on such a small screen" and see what response you get. If she says something like "I love this Sony because it's small and easy to carry everywhere I go" or "This Sony is really too small, but it was all I could get at the time, and I wish it were bigger" then you'll have an answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, but that's not going to work. She may think a 6" screen is good enough, but change her mind once she uses a larger screen. I read on a 6" screen for a long time and when I moved to a 6.8" screen, I was hooked on a larger screen.
It depends on what her priority is - whether she cares more about having the best possible screen, or whether she cares more about having a small reader for portability.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #51
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It depends on what her priority is - whether she cares more about having the best possible screen, or whether she cares more about having a small reader for portability.
Plus "best possible screen" is subjective?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:41 PM   #52
petercreasey
Guru
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo Aura One
I don't see portability as a big deal. The only time she carries it anywhere is when she is traveling on a trip and in this case the difference in size is pretty much a non-factor.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote