Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-03-2019, 02:40 AM   #1
eloi
eloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo clara hd
indestructible reader?

hi everyone !
i've had a kobo clara hd for a couple of months and completely fell in love with it. without having applied any pressure or dropping it in any way (i had just used it less than an hour ago and it was fine) i took it out of my bag again and a corner of the screen appeared to be smashed, leaving me devastated.

i would get the same one again and try to be even more careful this time, maybe sew an extra cushioned case on top of the first case, my partner who gifted me this reader says that's madness though and doesn't want to trust any kobo product ever again.

so do you have any recommendations for very resistant readers? my only other requirement is that i really love the pocket fusion that syncs articles you've saved on the internet instantly...

thank you so much! i love this forum and i was very excited to try the different mods people have developed for kobo, now i'm just very sad.
eloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #2
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
I love my Oasis though it is a guilty pleasure as I would prefer to be supporting an underdog like Kobo. The Forma looks nice but why would I buy another reader that is roughly the same size and same functionality?

I recommend getting the best reader within your budget and then buying a case for it. Something waterproof for sure. Speaking of Amazon, they do sell insurance and there are companies that provide insurance for just about any device. Just in case you manage to break you reader even with a case
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
I find the Paperwhite 1-3 chassis to be quite solid. Prior to getting a neoprene sleeve, I just had it caseless in my purse with the front (raised) bezel against something flat (usually my iPad in folio case) so the display doesn't get nicked by keys or something.

That said, Kindles don't have built-in article syncing like the Kobo and they don't support EPUB.

Since you love the Clara, if I were you, I'd just get another Clara HD and use a more protective case. Maybe a zippered hard clamshell case like this for carrying around in the bag.

https://www.amazon.com/USA-Gear-Elec...dp/B078TLSZ9T/
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
ITs Still under Warranty Contact KOBO they will send you another one. Then buy this Case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2
E-ink screens are somewhat fragile. If you're going to place your reader in a book bag or purse, you need a rigid cover that will prevent pressure or torque from being placed on the screen.

It wouldn't hurt to talk to Kobo CS, but user damage isn't covered under most warranties.
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:25 PM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloi View Post
i would get the same one again and try to be even more careful this time, maybe sew an extra cushioned case on top of the first case, my partner who gifted me this reader says that's madness though and doesn't want to trust any kobo product ever again.

so do you have any recommendations for very resistant readers? my only other requirement is that i really love the pocket fusion that syncs articles you've saved on the internet instantly...
Reality is that VIRTUALLY all e-ink readers are relatively fragile. The reason is that they contain a nearly paper thin (literally -- do a search for substrate in the forums for pics) glass plate for the e-ink. The only way to get around this is to go for one of the few devices that have a plastic rather than glass substrate (i.e. the Kobo Forma). Kindle or other brands aren't likely to be any more sturdy than a Kobo (although you might occasionally get Amazon to replace a broken screen, whereas none of the others are likely to).
IMHO it's more often twisting/mild bending of the device that causes issues over time. If you do go for a case make sure it won't bend or it's minimal help.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #7
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Reality is that VIRTUALLY all e-ink readers are relatively fragile. The reason is that they contain a nearly paper thin (literally -- do a search for substrate in the forums for pics) glass plate for the e-ink. The only way to get around this is to go for one of the few devices that have a plastic rather than glass substrate (i.e. the Kobo Forma). Kindle or other brands aren't likely to be any more sturdy than a Kobo (although you might occasionally get Amazon to replace a broken screen, whereas none of the others are likely to).
IMHO it's more often twisting/mild bending of the device that causes issues over time. If you do go for a case make sure it won't bend or it's minimal help.
I think the metal back and glass front of the 7" Kindle Oasis more twist resistant than the non-Forma kobos. The glass front kindle Voyage might be somewhere in between, but it has unfortunately been discontinued (and people have reporting broken voyage screens).
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:40 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
The plastic chassis on the PW3 feels more rigid than my Glo HD. I tend to be pretty careless with the Paperwhite (regularly roll over it while sleeping and once dropped it from the stairs landing and impact was hard enough it popped out of the case). Thankfully, none of my Kindles and Kobos have suffered from broken substrates. My old PRS-350 was pretty solid as well. Had an iRiver Story HD with broken substrate (within 1st month, I think) and that one received far, far gentler treatment than the PW3.

The current gen PW4 feels flimsier. Mind, my brother tossed my iPhone (in plastic case) directly on the PW4's screen and all it did was make a tiny dent.

E-ink displays may be fragile but the chassis design and materials can help reinforce it. Of course, there arestill going to be broken displays but at least a good chassis would reduce these incidents.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 09-03-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:34 AM   #9
eloi
eloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of lighteloi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo clara hd
wow! thank you all so much for your detailed answers! my partner (who gifted me the Clara) lent me their PW 2 from 2013 to keep reading while we figure out our next purchase and i am slightly seduced by how firm and strong it looks. it also lets me highlight things way more smoothly than my kobo could.

however being able to read and save articles SO easily was a big game changer for me, i went from never reading the news and having +100 long articles saved years ago that i was never going to read on my computer/phone to reading 2-3 articles every morning with my breakfast and only having 10-20 recent unread articles saved at a time and i loved it.

i really underestimated how fragile ink screens are... i might go with the Clara HD again after all and get one of your suggested bunker-like cases.

does kobo have the monopoly on pocket/readers partnership? do any of you use those anti-scratch screen protectors? are they any good for your readers of choice?
eloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

I don't bother with screen protectors. Those would protect against scratches but I doubt they'll do anything for the substrate.

Kobos are the only readers I know of with built-in Pocket syncing.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:29 PM   #11
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
All ereaders have sensitive screens. You might do better with a tablet. They are more accident proof. Ok, that said, I have used the screen protectors for a Nook Simple Touch. They reduce contrast slightly. Not really needed in your situation as the new case you will be buying will protect the screen from scratches.

Last edited by Tarana; 09-09-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:07 AM   #12
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O2, iPad Air 2, MBP; support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
All ereaders have sensitive screens. You might do better with a tablet. They are more accident proof.
Things have changed. As mentioned above, the Kobo Forma has a Mobius screen with flexible plastic substrate, not glass.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #13
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I have 3 Kobo readers. My first Kobo original model I damaged the screen somehow. Its replacement I made steel sheet metal screen protector for the cover pocket from standing seam roofing. Placed plastic electrical tape around edge of metal with rounded corners after filling off any sharp edges. Often carry this in front trouser pocket even on amusement park rides. Still have and use it with no damage. Kobo Mini I carry in shirt pocket without case or extra protection. My new Kobo Aura reader from Walmart I carry in a case made for a pocket book with a zipper compartment just big enough to hold readers screen against protecting book.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Things have changed. As mentioned above, the Kobo Forma has a Mobius screen with flexible plastic substrate, not glass.
Given that the OP wants an indestructible Reader, I would suggest the Kobo Forma given that it's a much more durable screen then the glass backed screens. I know the OP said no more Kobo, but this is a completely different Kobo. It won't break because of pressure or twisting of the screen while in his bag.

The thing is, the same thing could have happened to a Kindle, Nook, Pocketbook, Onyx, Tolino, Sony and any other Reader that uses a glass backed screen. This is why I suggest the Forma because of the plastic backed screen given that the OP applied pressure or a twisting force to the Kobo whil in his bag.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-10-2019 at 12:39 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:12 AM   #15
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O2, iPad Air 2, MBP; support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that the OP wants an indestructible Reader, I would suggest the Kobo Forma given that it's a much more durable screen then the glass backed screens. I know the OP said no more Kobo
Nope, the OP said their partner wasn't keen on them getting another Kobo. I posted the Forma suggestion assuming they are their own person and make their own decisions! And since they love Pocket and want a less breakable reader, the Forma is the very obvious choice.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo clara hd