Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 04:28 PM   #46
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
mmm, i would like to try this firmware on KA1, but can someone please explain to me how to revert back a firmware if i'm not satisfied?
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #47
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
mmm, i would like to try this firmware on KA1, but can someone please explain to me how to revert back a firmware if i'm not satisfied?
Just install the previous one over top of it. If you want, you can also backup the .kobo directory.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #48
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightreader View Post
I wonder why Kobo doesn't have implemented a two-column feature for landscape mode. The Forma display is almost twice the size of a 6 inch reader. Enough space for two columns. Otherwise the display of the Forma in portrait mode is nearly as big as a printed paperback.
I have a number of bilingual poetry collections conceived with one language on the left-hand side and the other on the right-hand side, which don't work well as an epub of kepub. I dream of replicating the paper layout with a two-column in landscape, but it seems practically impossible to replicate correctly.
anacreon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #49
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Yes, please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Interesting) Thanks in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
I want it! I will to experiment a little with it (if my daily work let me)
Done and released. See this post for more details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	auraed2v1_patch_enablerotatation.png
Views:	162
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	167515  

Last edited by geek1011; 11-07-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #50
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@geek1011 & other techies,

I was just looking at your post in the patch thread which referenced
Code:
[DeveloperSettings]
EnableDebugServices=true
Is this new? I hadn't heard of it before.

Once enabled I noticed there's an option to toggle InvertScreen on/off direct from the Kobo, under Settings > Device Info > Developer options, i.e. without needing to install the NightMode hack.

I haven't noticed this being discussed before, either. Is there some drawback to using this option, other than perhaps a build-up of unwanted log files in the /.kobo directory?

Last edited by jackie_w; 11-07-2018 at 06:03 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #51
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I've never left it enabled long enough to care . It may affect power management or performance related stuff, or not .

@davidfor may have more experience with it than I do.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-07-2018 at 06:07 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #52
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@geek1011 & other techies,

I was just looking at your post in the patch thread which referenced
Code:
[DeveloperSettings]
EnableDebugServices=true
Is this new? I hadn't heard of it before.

Once enabled I noticed there's an option to toggle InvertScreen on/off direct from the Kobo, under Settings > Device Info > Developer options, i.e. without needing to install the NightMode hack.

I haven't noticed this being discussed before, either. Is there some drawback to using this option, other than perhaps a build-up of unwanted log files in the /.kobo directory?
That's been there for quite a while, but it hasn't been discussed much. There is a few drawbacks to leaving this on: WiFi won't turn off automatically, the device won't go to sleep automatically, and telnet is available (a security risk on public wifi).
Old 11-07-2018, 06:06 PM   #53
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On FW 4.9, on my H2O, it doesn't affect WiFi behavior much (ForceWifiOn does, though, obviously (cf. this post and this one)).
Old 11-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #54
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Done and released
works fine, thanks.

Now only reduce the top margin in the epub.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:15 PM   #55
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Quote:
Just install the previous one over top of it. If you want, you can also backup the .kobo directory.
Thanks mate!!!
-----------------------

With this firmware KA1 seems to be faster, and they eventually fixed slightly offside touchscreen calibration. Touchscreen seems to be calibrated and more responsive. But i think a header in epubs is slightly bigger even with reduced size to 50% by the patch.
Kepubs are better, and with some line spacing adjustments is finally usable (@jackie_w - you were completely right)
i thought that fw 4.10.11655 was great, but with this one 4.11.11980 its even better.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #56
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's been there for quite a while, but it hasn't been discussed much. There is a few drawbacks to leaving this on: WiFi won't turn off automatically, the device won't go to sleep automatically, and telnet is available (a security risk on public wifi).
Personally I won't worry about the wi-fi aspects because I never use it.

Re: sleeping, my Forma has just gone into Sleep mode automatically in the normal way
Old 11-07-2018, 06:24 PM   #57
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@jackie_w: Check if miniclock still ticks, by sleep, what might have been implied is actually "suspend" .
Old 11-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #58
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@jackie_w: Check if miniclock still ticks, by sleep, what might have been implied is actually "suspend" .
I just let it go to sleep automatically again. The cover is displayed & the light goes off. There's no miniclock on the screen. Tapping the asleep screen doesn't appear to do anything. How would I know whether it's actually suspended?
Old 11-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #59
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
WiFi staying on and not sleeping were problems with this a long time ago. They aren't now. Developer mode is on permanently for my devices. Maybe the battery life is a little less, but not enough for me to notice.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #60
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
WiFi staying on and not sleeping were problems with this a long time ago. They aren't now. Developer mode is on permanently for my devices. Maybe the battery life is a little less, but not enough for me to notice.
OK, I was just a bit behind on that. Thanks for the info. I usually have my sleep time set to 4h and wifi always on anyways for telnet, so I guess I never realized it was fixed.