Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
MobileRead book clubs turn 10!

The idea was hatched for a book club here in October 2008. The first selection, A Passage to India, was chosen in October (actually the next day) for November 2008 (it also happens that said book currently is the only selection picked twice for MobileRead book clubs). And so it began.

The original book club is no longer with us, nor are any of the original members of that book club still actively participating in any of the book clubs here (though some are still posting at MobileRead), but it and they did inspire those that followed. It all began with A Passage to India, but it was a passage to group reading, fun and discussion for all of us.

So now let us celebrate a decade of book clubs here at MobileRead!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:39 AM   #2
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
An excellent anniversary to celebrate, sun surfer.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:53 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'll be coming up on my own eighth anniversary with book clubs here in a couple of months. That's a lot of books! Cheers to all.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:56 AM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I'm coming up to my first anniversary, having sneaked in for the last couple of books of the old club, and that's turned into rather more books than I expected. Participating has done awful things to my TBR (as informal as it is), things are bad enough that I'm considering joining the addict thread!

But I must say that joining the club as breathed new life into my reading habits, so much more diverse now than I have been for some years. I've read less overall, but much more of my reading has been new stuff, which is exactly what I wanted! A lot of this new stuff I'm reading has appeared not directly from the book club but just because I'm looking more widely now than I had been for a long time.

So I'm ready to celebrate an anniversary of book clubs at MR. It's been good for me and I'm just a new-comer.

I wonder what happened to PsyDocJoanne that got the ball rolling at the start? She seemed to disappear before the first book discussion really got going. Best wishes, wherever you are.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hooray! Thanks for highlighting this anniversary! I’ve really enjoyed my participation in the clubs and the community interaction that it inspires. I especially love our international diversity of membership. It has totally expanded my reading selections beyond what I used to pick on my own.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:33 AM   #6
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I agree with the other posters here, it's definitely had me reading things I wouldn't have found without. For me, the move to Themes in the new club has been the revelation. I'm discovering all sorts of books as I think about the theme of the month, and even though a particular book doesn't win, it catches my eye and I end up reading it anyway. That's been true nearly every single month since we started this. Sometimes it's a book I discover while looking for a book to nominate, other times it's one that someone else nominates that I would never have thought of on my own. IAC, the serendipity has been delightful.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:47 PM   #7
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
This was the first online book club that I joined. I well remember that first selection and discovered how a group reading is so enlightening. There were so many other standout selections and I am certain that there were many that I would never have read except for this club.

So—thank you Sun Surfer for initiating the group!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote