Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 02-21-2017, 05:55 AM   #1
Siavahda
Connoisseur
Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2018
Unhappy Icon Size Issues in Windows 10

I've used Calibre for years with nothing but delight, but recently I upgraded to a new computer and Windows 10 and immediately, I have the problem that the icons in Calibre have become unusably small. This is especially a problem in the Book Editor, where both the text in the file preview pane and the various icons have become minuscule.

I tried changing the icon size through the preferences (preferences: look and feel: icon size: large) but it made no difference. My new computer is set to a resolution of 3200x1800; I've experimented with a dozen different resolutions with no effect on the problem. I've also tried the 'change the size of text, apps, and other items' slider bar, which didn't help either.

I checked the option in the program properties to have Calibre run in 640x480 resolution, and the other option to disable scaling on high DPI settings. Neither fixed the icon problem.

Help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	274
Size:	726.7 KB
ID:	155174  
Siavahda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
High DPI support is coming in calibre 3.0 in the meantime you can use these beta builds if you are desparate: https://download.calibre-ebook.com/betas/
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:24 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can also try setting the environment variable

QT_DEVICE_PIXEL_RATIO=2

with the normal calibre builds
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:21 AM   #4
Siavahda
Connoisseur
Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2018
So relieved to hear about 3.0, and I'll give the beta builds a try. Thank you!
Siavahda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
dmck
dmck began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi, Kovid.

Thanks for the insight on 3.0 and DPI support. I also just upgraded my monitor (4k) and though I find the icons small, I find the text in the "Add books" dialog to be extremely small. It's not a function I use often and the text is still legible, so I'm content to patiently wait for 3.0.
dmck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edit book, icon size, windows 10