Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-31-2020, 02:04 AM   #76
MobileJanie
Zealot
MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MobileJanie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I think the problem to those who care is that buying directly from Harlequin had some benefits for those who read a lot. For one, you could get many of their books a month earlier than the general release. The also had specials not available elsewhere.

I think there was a kind of deal - like buy 10, get 1 free - or something like that too.

And they still have a program where you can earn points in various ways to "spend" on ebooks on their site.
Exactly right. I used to buy three of their 'bundle' books each month, they have specials on each Friday e.g. today is "Buy 4 get 2 free". Which to a regular purchaser like me is a great deal. Most months they would have a "Buy 2 get 1 free" deal, so I'd pay $34 for $50 face value books. In addition, that $34 would earn me 3400 reward points. They could be redeemed for a single book. (Cost 2000 points, so almost two extra free books each month).

I have about 500 Harlequin books in my collection, mostly bundles, some singles, also many other books from their imprints like Mira. Since they went to Bookshout, and I was no longer going to be able to download MY books, I haven't bought one of their books. If nothing else, their move to Bookshout made me think about my reading habits - I can read these lightweight Harlequin romances over again, and that's what I've been doing when in need of a romance.

I know they haven't missed my patronage, but I haven't missed them either.
MobileJanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:39 PM   #77
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I wonder why Harlequin would replace on failing company with another company with the same business model? Of course I also wondered why one failing company would spend their money to buy another failing company (Sears/Kmart).
Apache
Because their parent company (HarperCollins) is seemingly big on this model and told them too. Just like it was a matter of time earlier for them to switch from OverDrive to BookShout (who Harper used previously) once HarperCollins bought them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote