Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #46
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I've got some stupid questions on copyright and the public domain, so forgive me. Let's assume Canadian copyright applies (life +50).

Are all works in the public domain after 50 years of the authors death regardless of when it is published?
Can an author transfer the copyright to another person? Say just before the author dies he transfers it to his 10 year old niece... or something similar. What would the situation be then?
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Are all works in the public domain after 50 years of the authors death regardless of when it is published?
Yes, with the exception of obscure cases of posthumous publication.

Quote:
Can an author transfer the copyright to another person?
Not a personal copyright, no. Corporate copyrights work a bit differently.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #48
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, with the exception of obscure cases of posthumous publication.

Thanks. So one can be reasonably safe to assume a work is in the public domain when the author died in 1932.

What's getting me worried is that I can't seem to find any versions of his works on any of the normal public domain sites. It seems Afrikaans works aren't getting any attention when it comes to digitizing the public domain authors. Gutenberg only has 3 results for the language.

I wonder if it's due to nobody putting the effort into creating them or if other reasons come into play...
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suspect that it's simply that (no offence intended) it's a rather obscure language, with a small number of speakers. Yes, you can be confident that a book by an author who died in 1932 will be in the public domain pretty much everywhere except the USA.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #50
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Thanks. So one can be reasonably safe to assume a work is in the public domain when the author died in 1932.

What's getting me worried is that I can't seem to find any versions of his works on any of the normal public domain sites. It seems Afrikaans works aren't getting any attention when it comes to digitizing the public domain authors. Gutenberg only has 3 results for the language.

I wonder if it's due to nobody putting the effort into creating them or if other reasons come into play...

Check your local laws and scan away! PD is there in books solely because individuals did the work. (I am a P.D. contributor.....)
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #51
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Check your local laws and scan away! PD is there in books solely because individuals did the work. (I am a P.D. contributor.....)
Do you mean PG (Project Gutenberg) instead of PD (Public Domain, generally)?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #52
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Do you mean PG (Project Gutenberg) instead of PD (Public Domain, generally)?

Let me make one thing perfectly clear.

I mean all available public domain books. They're not all on Project Gutenberg. (Most are, but not all.) For example, Red is not on Project Gutenberg but is P.D.

More seriously, look at ghostwolf, and I know there are others....(like here).
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I think, Ralph, that Jellby was a little confused by the way that you expressed it, as I was myself. When you said:

Quote:
PD is there in books solely because individuals did the work.
you presumably meant "books that have been legally converted into electronic format, by virtue of being in the public domain", or something like that, yes? The "public domain" itself is just a legal concept - a book is in the public domain regardless of whether or not anyone has yet made it available to others.

I understand what you meant, but you just expressed it in a rather confusing way .
Old 01-03-2010, 01:19 PM   #54
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Change Congress

The best way to ensure future improvements (or to deter future degradations) to U.S. copyright law, is to change U.S. election law, so that large corporations don't hold the financial sway over congress-critters that they currently do. "Change Congress" was founded by Lawrence Lessig (yes, the copyright-law-fighting law professor), and is worth investigating at:
http://change-congress.org/
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #55
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
When the author dies, the rights go to the author's estate. They are property that can be disposed of in a will. So I think the author could transfer the rights to his niece in the will, though actual control over the rights would be exercised by her parents or legal guardian until she is of legal age.

It might also be done in the US prior to the author's death by an inter-vivos trust. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_trust) Living trusts are popular methods for avoiding probate.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #56
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Yes, rights (in copyrighted works) can be bought, sold, transferred, etc. But their expiration is STILL tied to the death of the ORIGINAL creator, not the current OWNER of the copyright rights. Right? Right!
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #57
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Also if there's a pseudonym/no-one knows who the real person was - that case is handled differently too, at least in Australia.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #58
ggareau
ggareau doesn't litterggareau doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
This has probably been gone over elsewhere, but I can't find the answer.

I live in Canada. In Canada copyright law is Life+50. Does that mean that any book published by an author who died in/before 1959 -- regardless of country of publication -- is public domain to me?

I mean, for Canadian authors it's a no-brainer but I don't get how this works internationally.
ggareau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #59
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggareau View Post
This has probably been gone over elsewhere, but I can't find the answer.

I live in Canada. In Canada copyright law is Life+50. Does that mean that any book published by an author who died in/before 1959 -- regardless of country of publication -- is public domain to me?

I mean, for Canadian authors it's a no-brainer but I don't get how this works internationally.
Yes .
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #60
ggareau
ggareau doesn't litterggareau doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yes .
Thanks. I assume that this also means if I wanted to create a movie based on a Raymond Chandler novel I could air it in Canada without licensing but I'd need to pay to air it in the US, correct?

And if that's the case if I wanted to make a graphic novel based on The Big Sleep I would be free to sell it in Canada or host it on a Canadian server (for online viewing) but I would not be able to put it on a US server or sell it in book form in the US without licensing, correct?
ggareau is offline   Reply With Quote