Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Artisan
Miles away from ordinary.
Artisan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Star Force Series - anything similar?

A while back I downloaded the first in the series,by B. V. Larson, Swarm, and loved it. I don't consider it ground breaking or anything like that, but I do find it quite compelling. They are quite the page turners. I going to have a flight in a couple of days, and I don't think that late I the series, Battle Station, probably won't last tonight, let alone until flight time.

Can someone recommend anything similar? Military sci-fi with an emphasis on technology and lots of action?

It will be a long, tiring trip so I'm just looking for a good pageturner.
Artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
the Doom Star series by Vaughn Heppner-

"It’s survival of the fittest in a brutal war of extinction!

Created in the gene labs as super soldiers, the Highborn decide to replace the obsolete Homo sapiens. They pirate the Doom Stars and capture the Sun Works Ring around Mercury. Now they rain asteroids, orbital fighters and nine-foot drop troops onto Earth in a relentless tide of conquest.

Marten Kluge is on the receiving end. Hounded by Thought Police, he lives like an ant in a kilometer-deep city. The invasion frees him from a re-education camp but lands him in the military, fighting for the wrong side.

STAR SOLDIER is the story of techno hell in a merciless war, with too many surprises for any grunt’s sanity."

i like this series almost as much as star force and the first installment is only 99 cents so it doesn't cost a lot to try out..
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
You could try "Galaxy Unknown" series by Thomas dePrima.

A great series, with quite a number of books so far, with a spin-off series due soon.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
The Honor Harrington Series by David Weber. The first book On Basilisk Station is available for free from the Baen Free Library. A few of the later books are also free, with the rest of the e-books averaging about $6.00 each.

There are also a few anthologies if you find you really like the series.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I enjoyed the initial 3 Honor Harrington books a lot, but the remainder simply get bogged down in too much politics, bloated descriptions, recounting previous events etc.

Overall I do enjoy the series though, but it can be heavy going, punctuated by very good action.
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I enjoyed the initial 3 Honor Harrington books a lot, but the remainder simply get bogged down in too much politics, bloated descriptions, recounting previous events etc.

Overall I do enjoy the series though, but it can be heavy going, punctuated by very good action.
Weber does do a lot of info dumping, but mostly on the technical side, which the OP may actually enjoy. I agree about the recounting of previous events, but I think that's only an issue if you're able to read the books one right after the other instead of a year or two apart.

I find that reading the novellas from the anthologies, in their intended chronological order, helps put a least a little needed space between the books, especially when there are more than one to be read.

I've just started Ashes of Victory (Honor Harrington #9) . I stopped to read one novella between chapters 2 & 3 (as suggested), there is another one meant to be read after chapter 33, and there are 4 others that come before book #10.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
the Star Crusades series by Michael G.Thomas-

"In the first book of the Star Crusades series, the bloody struggle is told through the eyes of an illegal pit fighter named Spartan, who is forced to choose between incarceration or military service. Choosing the Confederate Marine Corps over servitude he begins his thirty long weeks of training. Together with his group of marines, they are honed into a force ready to be thrown into the meat grinder on the newest and greatest planet in the Confederacy, Proxima Prime. His term of service will soon become one of violence and carnage, as the entire sector is ripped apart by a brutal and virulent religious movement and its shocking plans.

What starts as a series of suicide bombings and hijackings through the Confederacy quickly turns into a full-scale revolution on Prime that threatens the entire planet and quickly spreads to its orbital Naval Station and beyond. As every warship and military transport in the area is rushed to its defence, the fate of the planet and the entire sector lie in the hands of a small number of rookie marines."

the Battle Earth series by Nick S.Thomas-

"A distress transmission from Mars research colony warns of an advanced and unknown enemy approaching the heavily populated lunar colony. An elite marine unit commanded by Major Mitch Taylor is dispatched to protect the beleaguered civilians. However, the attack is merely a prelude to a massive invasion of Earth.

When the vast enemy mothership smashes through the Earth's atmosphere and deploys in the Atlantic, the armed forces of Earth soon realise they are fighting for the very survival of the human race. As cities fall throughout the world, American and European forces rally together to make a stand as they battle an enemy unlike any they've ever encountered."

the Black Legion series by Michael G.Thomas-

"The Black Legion is an army like no other. Paid for by the blood money of a sinister alien race and filled with ten thousand of humanity's best warriors. They are an unstoppable force with their number taken from every known Terran planet in the Galaxy. They have little in common, other than their love of wealth and adventure, and a bitter hatred for each other. Ten thousand savage mercenaries, exiles, thieves and criminals, each looking to make their name in the greatest enterprise in living memory.

Into this world of space travel, war and intrigue comes Xenophon, the exile from the Alliance planet Attica, Glaucon the rich playboy, Roxana the experienced starship officer, and Tamara, the blue-haired castaway with a hidden past and a violent personality. Fate brings them together, to serve on board one of the mighty Titans, the great floating fortresses and the most powerful starships known to mankind. There are only twelve of these in existence, and just one is powerful enough to take on an entire fleet of enemy ships.

With only a few weeks to train with their comrades, nothing will prepare them for the carnage that awaits them at the infamous Gates of Cilicia. This fortified sector serves as the entrance to the Median Empire, the largest and most powerful empire in the known Galaxy and ruled with an iron fist by the tyrant, Emperor Artaxerxes."

Beyond Armageddon by Anthony DeCosmo-

"Earth is invaded by a collection of alien animals—both predators and prey—as well as extraterrestrial militias of varying technological capabilities. Governments fall; cities are overrun. The landscape grows wild, alien forces attempt to carve out zones of control, and humanity no longer sits atop the food chain

One young man named Trevor Stone finds himself alone and afraid in this chaotic new world when he meets a strange old man who grants three gifts. The first, a well-stocked isolated estate perfect for surviving the initial invasion. The second, the ability to command the fiercest breeds of dogs. The third, access to the collective genetic memories of humanity.

It seems he is all part of a plan; a plan that has set 'rules' to this invasion and one that blurs the line between hero and villain."
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #8
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I recently read the lost fleet series by Jack Campbell and really liked it, basicly the main character John Geary is recovered around 100 years after he was frozen by a malfunctioning escape pod into a war that's been going on since he was frozen and everyone has basicly forgotten the older tactics.

So because of his seniority and being remembered as a hero he ends up commanding the fleet and trying to get it home again through enemy space. Doesn't sound to great from my description I know but there is a lot more to it.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
Artisan
Miles away from ordinary.
Artisan began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR
Thanks all for the suggestions.
Artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
sabredog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I recently read the lost fleet series by Jack Campbell and really liked it, basicly the main character John Geary is recovered around 100 years after he was frozen by a malfunctioning escape pod into a war that's been going on since he was frozen and everyone has basicly forgotten the older tactics.

So because of his seniority and being remembered as a hero he ends up commanding the fleet and trying to get it home again through enemy space. Doesn't sound to great from my description I know but there is a lot more to it.
Probably the best SF series I have ever read.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
Llandamaar
Llandamaar began at the beginning.

Device: Motorola Xoom Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post

I loved that series too until the last 2 books when the repetition of such lines as "Geary let out a breath he hadn't realised he'd been holding" was repeated for the 1000th time and drove me mental
Also the final part of the final book was so shockingly terrible and unoriginal I was was left with a feeling of disgust.
Apart from those little points, awesome books.

Incidentally, I am responding to this thread an age after the last post more as a thanks to the posters as I am on the last 2 books of Star Force and was also looking for similar series and there is a wealth of suggestions here so thank you all.
Llandamaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Well, being most of the way through the last book, I'll have to recommend the Prince Roger/Empire of Man series by David Weber and John Ringo

March Upcountry
March to the Sea
March to the Stars
We Few

Military scifi with a good focus on action, alien worlds, strange creatures and advanced weaponry. A fun read overall!

EDIT: Woah, didn't realize how old this thread was since it snuck back up to the top of the forum.

Last edited by mewmartigan; 08-29-2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Edit: Woah, didn't realize how old this thread was since it snuck back up to the top of the forum. :)
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #13
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Well, since it's here now, allow me to mention "The Phoenix Conspiracy" series by Richard L. Sanders.

"On the surface, the galaxy seems peaceful. The war is over. An era of trade and prosperity has begun. But to those who can read the signs, it’s clear something is wrong. Long, dark fingers are pulling strings inside the military, making deals across empires, and orchestrating something foul.

Calvin Cross is an intelligence agent for the Imperial government. He’s young, his methods are unorthodox, but he gets the job done. So when a former military hero steals a warship and goes rogue, threatening to start a war, Calvin is sent to find him and end him."

Three books so far with the fourth set to be released soon.

http://richardlsanders.com/
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #14
Darth_Bane
Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and PRS-300, Kobo Wifi, Touch and Mini, Kindle 4NT
+1 on the Lost Fleet series

Orphanage series by Robert Buettner might appeal to you. Basically, Starship Troopers with just the military stuff and none of the politics. Get books 1 and 2, you'll probably rip through the first book pretty quickly. Good airplane reading.

Lots of other good recommendations in this thread, some that I've never heard of but need to check out.
Darth_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
Auricle
Connoisseur
Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Huge fan of David Weber so would recommend any his books/series.

Just finished the Star Carrier series (Earth Strike, Center of Gravity, Singularity, Deep Space) by Ian Douglas (pseudonym for William H. Keith, Jr) and really liked it. Space opera - very similar to David Weber. I've been reading William H. Keith Jr since his Battletech days (20 years ago!!) and have always enjoyed his stuff.

And, also, add my vote to the Lost Fleet series as well as the Orphanage series.
Auricle is offline   Reply With Quote