Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-05-2024, 08:58 PM   #1
FatGuy
Groupie
FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 3
Anxiety With Scribd: Can a PDF be deleted after I've saved it to my PC?

Hello everyone, I need advice. I know this is a strange question, but I'm still learning about how PDF files work so I'd appreciate any help to calm my extreme anxiety!

I'm new to Scribd and I just signed up to a Scribd 30 day trial. I just downloaded a few different ebooks from Scribd.com that are all in the PDF format but I was only given access to these PDF files because I signed up for a 30 day trial to Scribd's premium service.

My question is:

At the end of the Scribd 30 day trial, will I still be able to read and access the PDF files I've downloaded?

How can I make sure I'll still have access after my Scribd 30 day free trial ends?

Thank you for any suggestions!
FatGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 04:53 PM   #2
FatGuy
Groupie
FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anyone have experience with Scribd?

Advert
Old 02-16-2024, 05:22 PM   #3
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
You might do better on the Scribd subreddit.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 06:54 PM   #4
FatGuy
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
You might do better on the Scribd subreddit.
Thanks so much for your reply, but I've never used Reddit before...
Old 02-16-2024, 07:17 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it may be worth, most of Scribd's PDFs will not open after your membership expires unless you remove DRM. Removing DRM from a loan is a repugnant idea.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-16-2024 at 07:20 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2024, 07:33 PM   #6
FatGuy
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For what it may be worth, most of Scribd's PDFs will not open after your membership expires unless you remove DRM. Removing DRM from a loan is a repugnant idea.
Thanks so much for your reply!

I checked the PDF file and it has no DRM. It's just a .PDF file.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:07 PM   #7
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy View Post
Thanks so much for your reply, but I've never used Reddit before...
If you don't want to make an account, you can search and browse and see if someone else has asked the same question:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Scribd/
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 04:36 AM   #8
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle PW3 [KOReader]
Quote:

I checked the PDF file and it has no DRM. It's just a .PDF file.
I have a Scribd Premium (and Everand) account. You won't lose access to your downloaded PDFs, Scribd doesn't own them (a lot of times these PDFs are pirated ebooks anyway).
paperwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 07:03 AM   #9
FatGuy
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwhite13 View Post
I have a Scribd Premium (and Everand) account. You won't lose access to your downloaded PDFs, Scribd doesn't own them (a lot of times these PDFs are pirated ebooks anyway).

I've uploaded this particular PDF from Scribd to my PC as well as a bunch of USB HDD's and USB flash drives.

Is there any way I can check that'll these PDF files will be still accessible if I close my Scribd Premium account?

The PDF file I downloaded from Scribd is also downloadable in .TXT form. Does this help me?
Old 02-27-2024, 08:55 AM   #10
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:

I've uploaded this particular PDF from Scribd to my PC as well as a bunch of USB HDD's and USB flash drives.

Is there any way I can check that'll these PDF files will be still accessible if I close my Scribd Premium account?

The PDF file I downloaded from Scribd is also downloadable in .TXT form. Does this help me?
Your insistence on making sure you can access loaned files after your subscription ends is bordering on piracy, which is not viewed kindly here. If that file is important to you, you may want to keep your subscription open for as long as you need it.

Now, from a purely technical perspective, .txt files are simply a string of characters; they cannot contain DRM. So if you do download the .txt version, there is no way for the contents of that file to be blocked from access after your subscription ends.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 07:14 PM   #11
FatGuy
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
Your insistence on making sure you can access loaned files after your subscription ends is bordering on piracy, which is not viewed kindly here. If that file is important to you, you may want to keep your subscription open for as long as you need it.

Now, from a purely technical perspective, .txt files are simply a string of characters; they cannot contain DRM. So if you do download the .txt version, there is no way for the contents of that file to be blocked from access after your subscription ends.

Sorry if I wasn't clear: I'm definitely not using any pirated PDF files and I'm also paying for a scribd.com premium subscription so I'm not getting anything for free. I know how hard authors work so I always support them as much as I can.

However, if Scribd removed the PDF files I've downloaded and paid for or if Scribd.com closed down tomorrow, would I still be able to open the PDF files?
Old 03-29-2024, 08:09 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

Sorry if I wasn't clear: I'm definitely not using any pirated PDF files and I'm also paying for a scribd.com premium subscription so I'm not getting anything for free. I know how hard authors work so I always support them as much as I can.

However, if Scribd removed the PDF files I've downloaded and paid for or if Scribd.com closed down tomorrow, would I still be able to open the PDF files?
A subscription means you have permission to access those files as long as you have the subscription; you'll lose the right to access them if you end the subscription. You didn't pay for those files, because you didn't purchase them; you purchased the subscription, which allows you to view them. No subscription grants you permanent access. To have permanent access to a book/file, you must purchase that book or file, not the subscription to view it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 07:50 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
You didn't pay for any files. You are paying a library subscription. You don't have a right to read any of those without a Scribd subscription even if there is no DRM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:59 AM   #14
paperwhite13
Zealot
paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.paperwhite13 can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You didn't pay for any files. You are paying a library subscription. You don't have a right to read any of those without a Scribd subscription even if there is no DRM.
Scribd (before splitting into Scribd and Everand) was two things in one:

1. audiobook and ebook streaming/borrowing (which couldn't actually be downloaded, they could only be accessed with the Scribd app)

2. PDF/txt downloading. These were files uploaded by other users; in order to download something, you had to either upload something in return or get a subscription.

So, if you were able to simply download the PDF, it means there was no DRM attached and it's safe to keep it. They won't self-destruct. Whether that PDF was pirated material or some free user manual, it's no one's business and nobody owns anyone else an explanation.
Old 04-01-2024, 09:02 AM   #15
paperwhite13
Zealot

Quote:

There's no further need to check anything. See my reply above, if you were able to simply download it, it's yours to keep, there's no DRM.