Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-11-2020, 01:57 AM   #46
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I’m going to get my vote in early:

1 to The Samurai’s Garden

I’ll be equally happy with the selection this month whether this one wins or I’m outvoted.

On the one hand, I’ve always wanted to read Saramago, and the lit club has never read anything from Portugal yet.

On the other hand, I’ve seen the film Blindness and know the general story already, and though The Samurai’s Garden was basically unknown to me before I stumbled upon it looking for nominations, I did enjoy the preview and think it sounds really good.

Either way, we’re getting a selection with a very high rating on Goodreads- Blindness has a 4.12 and The Samurai’s Garden a 4.13. Also, it’s interesting that these two were published only a year apart in the 1990s- The Samurai’s Garden in 1994 and Blindness in 1995.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:36 AM   #47
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Mine is:

Blindness

(If only because character names aren't used, so a change after Dr Zhivago )
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:19 AM   #48
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I have no strong preference for the same reasons indicated by sun surfer. Both are excellent choices. I didn’t know Blindness was made into a movie.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:07 AM   #49
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will break your tie with The Samurai’s Garden.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:17 AM   #50
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Run-off voting is complete and we have a winner! We'll be reading The Samurai's Garden for April. The discussion thread will be up soon.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:51 PM   #51
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I will break your tie with The Samurai’s Garden.
And so the katana falls .

I am equally happy with either, but I had better get a move on and start I, Claudius .
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:43 PM   #52
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I, Cladius reads pretty quickly in comparison to Doctor Zhivago.

I was able to find both the ebook and audiobook for The Samurai's Garden at Scribd. My library had several ebooks by the author but not this one.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:47 PM   #53
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
I didn’t know Blindness was made into a movie.
It's in English and not Portuguese and stars Julianne Moore. I liked it, though in a quick look on Rotten Tomatoes I see the critics weren't enamoured with it.

Last edited by sun surfer; 04-15-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #54
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
And so the katana falls .

I am equally happy with either, but I had better get a move on and start I, Claudius .
Quote:
I, Cladius reads pretty quickly in comparison to Doctor Zhivago.
I agree, and yes especially compared to Zhivago. I listened to both and after the more difficult Pasternak I was a little worried going into an historical book set so long ago, but after a quick round of the author catching us up to speed with all the main personalities and whatnot I, Claudius reads pretty easily in my opinion.

Quote:
I was able to find both the ebook and audiobook for The Samurai's Garden at Scribd. My library had several ebooks by the author but not this one.
I think I'm going with the audiobook. I should finish the audiobook I'm on today (only 20 minutes left) and then start with the Tsukiyama. I don't necessarily mean to consume all our selections by audiobook nowadays, but I just get through audiobooks so much more quickly on average and that lets me stay on track with our selections so much more easily.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #55
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Reading is reading, whether it is with your eyes or ears.

Your feedback on the movie is probably more realistic than the critics.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:37 PM   #56
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Reading is reading, whether it is with your eyes or ears.
Very true! The only thing more difficult with listening is marking down notes for our selection if I want to discuss them. I can bookmark a point although it's not as precise as on an ebook. What I sometimes do is pause the audiobook and open my phone's notes and jot down my thought with the audio time stamp.