Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #16
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I have founds a partial solution to my problem. I have a Netbook whose adapter and battery had gone bad. By good fortune I found replacements for both for under $40.00 for both through Amazon. So now it's more a matter of getting junk files cleared off and being able to do a system restore to set it back to it's initial state (if possible). Anyway I will be able to run Scrivener on the Netbook so that will be a plus. I will have something to use while saving up my $$ for something that works better if nothing else.
Looks like a good way to go. I had an Acer Netbook a while back and I think that certainly would have been much better than tablets of similar price range. I think I still have the netbook laying around someplace but last time I used it, it was completely incapable of connecting to the internet in any way. Probably would still work fine for writing though.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #17
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I agree a netbook is way better for writing than a tablet.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I agree a netbook is way better for writing than a tablet.
Given, though, that the OP specifically asked for a TABLET solution in the original post, his new stance that a Netbook is satisfactory does make rather a mockery of the whole thread. If he wanted a Netbook, he should have said so in the initial post.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given, though, that the OP specifically asked for a TABLET solution in the original post, his new stance that a Netbook is satisfactory does make rather a mockery of the whole thread. If he wanted a Netbook, he should have said so in the initial post.
I wasn't trying to make a mockery of the thread Harry. I do want to find a tablet that is affordable, not to heavy and useable. Certainly it would be more portable than even a Netbook is. I didn't expect to find parts for the Netbook that I could afford either. And it may turn out harder than I think to get it working right. Can't reset it to factory specs without a CD/DVD disk for example and can't even make one of those without some sort of external burner as Netbooks don't have one built in. I was just saying that while I'm looking round and saving my $$ for a tablet (assuming there is one that works very well for the job) that I might be able to use the old Netbook. Certainly I would be able to use Scrivener on it unlike the tablet as yet since there is no tablet version of Scrivener yet.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #20
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Get something like the Nexus 7 and a bluetooth keyboard. Probably be cheaper than your repair. That can hold you over till you save for something more powerful if that is your goal.

A modern day tablet can easily replaces (or surpass) a netbook for basic writing and general media consumption. IMO the idea that a netbook is superior is becoming outdated. IMO the Netbook needs to be retired as a device superseded by the tablet. I see the levels of power/use being: PHONE->TABLET->LAPTOP/DESKTOP

IMO,YMMV, Etc.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #21
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
If your netbook has XP, beware. MS support (including critical security updates) for XP ends next month, at which point it becomes incredibly dangerous to use. XP has always been a big target for hackers, but with a still large install base and the assurance that exploits won't be closed, you won't be able to rely on mere antivirus software and firewalls for protection.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #22
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I got my netbook four years ago and took Windows XP off as soon as I got it. I'm running Ubuntu and really, really like it. It has all the writing tools I need (your mileage may vary) and I do almost all of my writing on it.

Earlier this year I needed a new power jack -- I found a place on the internet that specializes in that repair. Also, the original battery was down to holding only a two hour charge, so I invested in a 9-cell battery pack. It's all I need.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #23
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Oh, I don't know. Sometimes new information causes you to rethink your options. I think that's a good thing.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #24
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
If your netbook has XP, beware. MS support (including critical security updates) for XP ends next month, at which point it becomes incredibly dangerous to use. XP has always been a big target for hackers, but with a still large install base and the assurance that exploits won't be closed, you won't be able to rely on mere antivirus software and firewalls for protection.
Actually it has an early version of Win7. I don't think they put too many out with the barebones Win7 OS but I happened to be in the right place at the right time to get one. Things like changing wallpaper weren't included in the release. I had to track down a small program (found through youtube) in order to be able to change the wallpaper.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:20 PM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Get something like the Nexus 7 and a bluetooth keyboard. Probably be cheaper than your repair. That can hold you over till you save for something more powerful if that is your goal.

A modern day tablet can easily replaces (or surpass) a netbook for basic writing and general media consumption. IMO the idea that a netbook is superior is becoming outdated. IMO the Netbook needs to be retired as a device superseded by the tablet. I see the levels of power/use being: PHONE->TABLET->LAPTOP/DESKTOP

IMO,YMMV, Etc.
Is there a particular type of bluetooth keyboard that works with a Nexus 7 or will any model of bluetooth keyboard work with it?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:59 PM   #26
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Is there a particular type of bluetooth keyboard that works with a Nexus 7 or will any model of bluetooth keyboard work with it?
Pretty sure any will work, but I do not own one to verify. I have a Kindle Fire HD for my tablet, and previously an Asus.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #27
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
Generally speaking all bluetooth keyboards should work, but bluetooth devices sometimes don't seem to work together even though they should.

You should be able to return the keyboard if it doesn't work, but most should be compatible.

I have a Kindle Fire HDX and my wife has a Kindle Fire HD and we have the keyboard cases from Belkin (bluetooth) and they actaually work pretty nicely for typing after you get used to it.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #28
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
If you're on a budget, netbooks and tablets can be had used on ebay for cheap. I reiterate I wouldn't bother with a tablet. You may as well get a Nook ST and root it and install Text Warrior. For pure text writing, it's the same experience but cheaper and lighter. Editing on a tablet is next to impossible. I guess you could get a keyboard, but it's ramping up the cost.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #29
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
...Certainly I would be able to use Scrivener on it unlike the tablet as yet since there is no tablet version of Scrivener yet.
While you are saving for that tablet I suggest that you check of the new crop of 8" tablets that run the full Windows 8.1, not the limited RT version. The Dell Venue 8 Pro ("pro"=Win8.1, the older Venue 8 w/o "Pro" runs Android)" now sells for $249USD (32gb model) on Dell's site and has been ~$198USD on Amazon the past few days. There are competing models from Acer, ASUS, and Lenovo at similar prices.

The screens on these are not significantly larger than the common 7" Android tablets but with the full version of Windows they will run Scrivener, Calibre, etc. Add a Bluetooth keyboard and they become somewhat netbook-like or use the onscreen keyboard for the "true tablet experience". Whatever suits your fancy.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #30
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
or just get a Surface Pro w/ keyboard and docking station...
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote