Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
In other words they get hot when used for something they weren't designed for if I understand you right. Even Netbooks aren't designed for gaming as they are small computers so I can only assume that tablets aren't really made for the bigger CPU heavy games either.
It's completely normal for any computer to get warm when it's working hard. As long as the heat isn't excessive, it's nothing to worry about. Both my Surface Pro and my iPad get warm when they're doing CPU-intensive tasks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #47
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
You'll know if it's too hot because it will become unstable. At worst it might shut itself down. Don't worry, it won't blow up. Do you live in a nice,warm climate? If so, that might impact it and I also will have no sympathy for you
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #48
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
You'll know if it's too hot because it will become unstable. At worst it might shut itself down. Don't worry, it won't blow up. Do you live in a nice,warm climate? If so, that might impact it and I also will have no sympathy for you
Well right now it's a balmy 21 degrees Fahrenheit outside so I doubt I could be said to be in a warm climate. Though the snow is beginning to vanish for the year and in a couple of months I'll probably be complaining about how hot it is.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #49
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I got my Dell Venue 8 pro in the mail tonight. I can't speak to the full range of heat, but the area that heats up is in the lower right hand side (in portrait), which is probably the location of the chipset but it could be battery related heat (common when power is quickly charged or quickly discharged) too.

While playing a hulu video, it gets warm to the touch there. Forty minutes in, it's not actually hot, just warm. Far cooler than my first gen atom netbook (which had a fan while this is fanless) would have gotten also watching hulu. I'll have to get back to you on the temp during word processing and the like if you care about that, but I suspect it'll be near room temp.

Bay Trail is a lot hardier than previous atom generations, not just compared to prior generations, but compared to the gap between intel's high end and low end in previous gens. I might not recommend Skyrim, but from what I've read, it is more suitable for gaming than anything in this class has been before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	delinovom.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	120852  

Last edited by Marseille; 03-27-2014 at 01:04 AM. Reason: added image
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #50
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
I got my Dell Venue 8 pro in the mail tonight. I can't speak to the full range of heat, but the area that heats up is in the lower right hand side (in portrait), which is probably the location of the chipset but it could be battery related heat (common when power is quickly charged or quickly discharged) too.

While playing a hulu video, it gets warm to the touch there. Forty minutes in, it's not actually hot, just warm. Far cooler than my first gen atom netbook (which had a fan while this is fanless) would have gotten also watching hulu. I'll have to get back to you on the temp during word processing and the like if you care about that, but I suspect it'll be near room temp.

Bay Trail is a lot hardier than previous atom generations, not just compared to prior generations, but compared to the gap between intel's high end and low end in previous gens. I might not recommend Skyrim, but from what I've read, it is more suitable for gaming than anything in this class has been before.
I imagine it's because movies like video games require a lot of cpu power to support the graphics involved. Though I'd guess that video games are more intensive in that way than movies since you don't interact with a movie file like you do with a video game. How much hard drive space does the tablet allow you to use? I found that after I'd formatted the netbook, put the os and some programs on I still have some 207 GB of free space though the drive itself (according to a sticker on it) has 250 GB's of space (only 220 GB's of that show as being there, but I figure part of it is also the restore and other files I won't need to access unless I do a system restore or other fix in the future). Still Scrivener doesn't take up much space so even if a tablet (running windows) doesn't have a large amount of Hard Drive space for use that wouldn't be a problem I'd guess. Still I am curious how much HDD space is available for use on the tablet.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #51
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My 64 GB tab had somewhere near 36 GB free to start with. About 6.5GB IIRC is taken up for system partitions relating to recovery. And it has an micro sd slot.

Despite the lower capacities, I'd never trade a solid state boot drive for any amount of space in most contexts. I built my PC in 2009 or so using parts that were midrange a year earlier. A year or so ago, I replaced the boot drive with an SSD. The difference in responsiveness is extraordinary. For a general computing environment, there's no better upgrade.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #52
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Despite the lower capacities, I'd never trade a solid state boot drive for any amount of space in most contexts. I built my PC in 2009 or so using parts that were midrange a year earlier. A year or so ago, I replaced the boot drive with an SSD. The difference in responsiveness is extraordinary. For a general computing environment, there's no better upgrade.

Fully agree. Also what ever drive you use for your swap file, that you want to be SSD also.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #53
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I'd much rather have RAM based storage rather than a dedicated hard-drive. I imagine it uses less power and produces less heat (and therefore fan activity). So is it possible to replace an existing hard-drive with RAM storage?

Last edited by Rizla; 03-29-2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #54
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Well right now it's a balmy 21 degrees Fahrenheit outside so I doubt I could be said to be in a warm climate. Though the snow is beginning to vanish for the year and in a couple of months I'll probably be complaining about how hot it is.
Soft Southerners
Old 03-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #55
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
I think I'd much rather have RAM based storage rather than a dedicated hard-drive. I imagine it uses less power and produces less heat (and therefore fan activity). So is it possible to replace an existing hard-drive with RAM storage?

SSD is pretty close to RAM based storage. In fact, if you have say 8gb of ram, and consistently use 16gb of swap - with an SSD your far less likely with normal tasks to notice it. With a traditional HD your machine will drag heavily under those conditions. My work laptop is maxed with 16gb of RAM already and I have it backed by a 256gb SSD. I consistently use 64gb of RAM or more thanks to swap space and it runs without hiccups.

A good modern SSD with a modern OS will do wonders.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #56
Rizla
Member Retired

So how do you use the SSD? Do you install an OS on it and make it the boot device? If so, what OS are you running on it? It seems they have a limited number of write operations in their lifetime and are best for "passive" storage.

Last edited by Rizla; 03-29-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a drive, like any other. Yes, you boot from it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #58
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

It's easy to boot from a flash drive or other such. You just change your bios setting in the setup. At least that's how it works in Windows. I don't know how it's done in android or mac.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #59
Marseille
Guru

Quote:
It seems they have a limited number of write operations in their lifetime and are best for "passive" storage.
They have a limited life just like platter hard drives. At this stage, I think the average SSD lasts longer than the average HDD. Probably doubly true for mobile devices that are moved around a lot.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:13 PM   #60
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
They have a limited life just like platter hard drives. At this stage, I think the average SSD lasts longer than the average HDD. Probably doubly true for mobile devices that are moved around a lot.
From what I understand they last longer because there are no moving parts unlike with a HDD.