Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2010, 02:25 AM   #1
gmedin
gmedin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo Desktop App for XP

I just bought the Kobo e-reader and connected it to my laptop running Windows XP. The installation seemed to go fine, but when I try to run the Kobo Desktop app I get the error message "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect." I have tried reinstalling several times with the same result. I figured there was just a bug and that I could download a newer version of the desktop installer from the web, but I cannot find a download site anywhere. The kobobooks.com site offers downloads for various mobile devices, but I do not see the desktop app download. Any ideas what might be causing this error, and where I can get a new download of the app?

Many thanks
gmedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Kobo_Marc
Kobo_Marc began at the beginning.

I think I'm having the same problem.

I downloaded the Kobo Desktop application that came with the Kobo eReader, open up an account, bought an eBook but when I try to sync with my Kobo eReader the software freeze up (not responding)

Marc
Kobo_Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi, I work at Kobo.

If you have XP service pack 2 or below, upgrading to SP3 should fix the problem.

Alternatively (or if you already have SP3) you can try installing this free XP add-on (Visual C++ runtime):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Feel free to email me at shasan at kobobooks dot com if neither solution works, we'll try and get you up and running asap.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
gmedin
gmedin began at the beginning.

Thanks for the tips, Sameer. I still got the same error after upgrading to SP3, but installing the Visual C++ runtime did the trick. Everything seems to be working fine now.

Cheers
gmedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Good to hear. We're going to be bundling that runtime in future versions of the installer so other customers shouldn't have this problem going forward.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
aar3on
aar3on began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I've found that if uninstall the the desktop app and reinstall I can sync with my reader once. After that it hangs or is taking so long to do anything that may as well be hung.
I've installed the update listed above, I'm running XP SP3.
What seems to be the killer is that it has to download the books I've bought every time it runs. I can understand once, but every time? I've bought 3 books and with each on the time to download gets long. 3 is not so bad but what happens when I get to 13 or 33? I'll tell you what happens. I'll not get past 3 books. I'm not buying anymore until this get ironed out.
What really worries me is that the Firmware updates are supposed to get to my ereader via this software.
aar3on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:27 AM   #7
tony.weall
tony.weall began at the beginning.

Kobo USB connection

When i plug in the Kobo to a USB port my computer does not find the Kobo device. I do not get the window asking what i want to do and the Kobe does not show up in My Computer. I have Windows XP SP3. I have a number of USB devices and i have tried different ports.

I downloaded the Desktop App, but there is no way I can synchronize until I have the Kobo in My Computer showing up as a hard drive.

I do have the Kobo connected to my network wirelessly, but I cannot see it on my network. I doubt if I could synchronize with just a network connection.

Any ideas? I can try another PC, but I want it to work with this unit.

Tony Weall
tony.weall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:28 AM   #8
tony.weall
tony.weall began at the beginning.

More to may last message. The unit did charge up using the SUB port/plug.
Tony
tony.weall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:23 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can sync wirelessly, Tony. Many WiFi users do that all the time. My network never sees it--perhaps because it is not actually joined to the network, but is, instead, just a device using the WiFi off of the router the network also uses.

Last edited by taming; 12-28-2010 at 06:46 AM. Reason: more sepculation...
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:07 AM   #10
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.weall View Post
I do have the Kobo connected to my network wirelessly, but I cannot see it on my network. I doubt if I could synchronize with just a network connection.
Since I have no wifi reader, I could only ask a question.
I suppose that reader asks for dynamic IP address. That way any device
might be visible on the net and handle tasks it should. Using usb cable,
it does not need address, since it is just usb client on the address of the
host node. If it would be me, I'd fire up nmap or a tool alike to see if any
device roam on the network. Depending on the router you have, it might
show devices connected to it (or not). To my knowledge, you should use
a protocol to access remote file system. What that protocol is, cannot say.
Some nodes let user ssh to it. Samba is common in some tribes. If you
find IP address of the reader, you could scan open ports and report to
this forum.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:47 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Z--the reader is not joined to the network. It is simply using the router's wifi connection.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #12
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Z--the reader is not joined to the network. It is simply using the router's wifi connection.
It has to "join" the network like any other wifi device. That's how wireless Ethernet works. I haven't seen any detailed info on how koob's wifi syncing works but I suspect once the kobo obtains its IP, it sends out a broadcast Ethernet message for the desktop app to pick up. If your wireless network is separate from the wired, it's possible the desktop app won't be able to see the kobo's broadcast message.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #13
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
It has to "join" the network like any other wifi device. That's how wireless Ethernet works. I haven't seen any detailed info on how koob's wifi syncing works but I suspect once the kobo obtains its IP, it sends out a broadcast Ethernet message for the desktop app to pick up. If your wireless network is separate from the wired, it's possible the desktop app won't be able to see the kobo's broadcast message.
I don't believe the desktop app is involved. Neither is your computer.

You can shut your computer completely off and just have your wireless router turned on and the Kobo will connect to the network and the Store just fine. The wireless router is the network.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For what it's worth I just tried a GRC Port Scan against a Kobo Wifi

Code:
GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2010-12-28 at 14:13:43

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
 1051 Ports Closed
    5 Ports Stealth
---------------------
 1056 Ports Tested

NO PORTS were found to be OPEN.

Ports found to be STEALTH were: 135, 137, 138, 139, 445

Other than what is listed above, all ports are CLOSED.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,
                   - NO unsolicited packets were received,
                   - A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED.
So at least the standard service ports are closed.

In fact, using nMap across all ports show they are all closed too, so it does not look that there is any way to initiate a transfer to the Kobo from an external device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #15
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Named ports are called "netbios" in some tribes. It was a good choice
to block them anyway. I cannot say what it means on the linux node,
except for samba.

After a little experiment above, it looks obvious that device gets ip
address in a dynamic form. It takes gateway and fires up it's client to
connect kobo server. I would rather run tcpdump or some other app
for network traffic logger and see what's going on on the wire.

I'm not sure what win apps could see on ports. For any further job,
nmap should be considered. Server, waiting for connection, makes
port open. Filtered port from time to time means there is a firewall
involved. Not always. Have to confess I do not understand win termi-
nology.

I'm quite interested in topic like this, spite I haven't wifi device.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote