Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Stitch
Stitch began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Unhappy Purchased Used 505 and cannot deauthorize/authorize

I just purchased a "gently used" 505 for my daughter for Christmas. My wife and I each have one and a large library. When I tried to add the unit to my account/computer I run into problems.

Here's what I see:
"A Device Has Been Detected
We noticed that an attached Reader of the following type is not an authorized device. Please click "Authorize" to activate this device.
(Note, you won't be able to read the books downloaded to it, unless you authorize it.)

PRS-505/UC Reader ID: 08004610007028A8
Authorize"

When I authorize it all seems well - the new reader shows up but when I try and drop an existing book into it I receive:
"Warning This book cannot be transfered because the Reader is authorized to another user."

I can transfer some books and pdf's already in my existing library to the used 505 but most of the books I purchased will not transfer?

Since I purchased the 505 from a family member who is 1,000 miles away I thought if I installed the Sony Reader software on a different computer, logged in as the person I bought the book from, then deathorized it it would be OK.... NOT!

Anyone else experience and resolve anything like this?

Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
You can ask the original owner to access their Ebook Library software, go to their account and de-authorise the device.
If that's not possible then you had better email Sony and explain the situation.
They usually respond quite quickly because this is a fairly common problem.

You are allowed to have 6 devices on one account. One of them has to be a computer. All the authorisation/deauthorisation has to be done from a computer authorised to that account. So you won't be able to solve this without the help of the previous owner or Sony.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi stitch, welcome to Mobileread! I responded to someone else a little while ago about this same problem (only it turned he didn't have this problem).

Check out this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43858. Post #5 says "I had to press the reset button for 10 seconds, then volume + & bookmark button for one minute and that resets the drm in the unit."

Then of course you need to authorize it with your account.

Let me know if this works for you. Otherwise I guess you will have to call Sony support.

I believe someone posted a few days ago that you can now have 6 devices and 6 computers authorized.
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, stitch.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
Stitch

Thanks for the advice - I'll try the owner first, then the reset. Merry Christmas!
Advert
Old 12-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Stitch

the hard reset did the trick... just in time for Christmas morning! Thanks to all and Merry Christmas.