Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 08-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Lake person
Enthusiast
Lake person began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, Bebook, Pocketbook 360
Bebook - PDF Problem

Easy question for you. I have mostly Mobepocket books on my Bebook. Works fine. I downloaded an Adobe PDF book and the font is teeny tiny. Even on the largest setting it's just readable. I don't want to mess up my Mobepocket books, but would love to read the PDF one without a magnifiying glass. Any suggestions.

Lake
Lake person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake person View Post
Easy question for you. I have mostly Mobepocket books on my Bebook. Works fine. I downloaded an Adobe PDF book and the font is teeny tiny. Even on the largest setting it's just readable. I don't want to mess up my Mobepocket books, but would love to read the PDF one without a magnifiying glass. Any suggestions.

Lake
If its a DRM-free pdf file *and* its not an image-only pdf file, there are several easy ways to convert it to mobi format. The simplest, and apparently best, is to go to mobipocket.com and download mobi creator and install it as a professional install. This will let you import pdf and export mobi. (It also leaves behind a very clean HTML version.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Lake person
Enthusiast

I believe it is DRM-free. But I don't want to convert it to mobipocket. I just want to make the print bigger without messing up my other books on the reader. Can I do that?

Lake
Old 08-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
As far as I have noticed here on the forums, no you can't. What you will hear is Bebook is not suitable for PDF documents due to the problems you mentioned.

I have noticed that MobiCreator does convert the PDF to mobi format, but in my tests the paragraphs and other things get pretty messed up.
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Lake person
Enthusiast

Well, now I know. Fome what I understand Mobepocket works really well with Cybook Gen 3. Now I wonder what works best on Bebook?
Advert
Old 08-17-2009, 12:28 AM   #6
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Calibre also does a pretty good job converting pdf to mobipocket.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
PaweL_L
Greetings from Poland :-)
PaweL_L began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake person View Post
Well, now I know. Fome what I understand Mobepocket works really well with Cybook Gen 3. Now I wonder what works best on Bebook?
Try RTF, it works fine for me and most books I read on BB in this format.

Try to convert PDF to RTF and see the result.
PaweL_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaweL_L View Post
Try RTF, it works fine for me and most books I read on BB in this format.

Try to convert PDF to RTF and see the result.
Apart from the RTF bug involving super/subscript you mean?
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:45 AM   #9
rainbowworrier
Frazzled
rainbowworrier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Pro 603
I also have a lot of PDF files where the text is just too small to read on my Pixelar Hanlin. It's easy enough to convert to text (through Adobe Acrobat, or even copy & paste into Word) and then save in RTF, which is at present my favourite format because you get 5 different font sizes. But the PDF to TXT conversion sticks a paragraph break (a hard line break) after ever line (A4 formatting). This introduces line breaks in the middle of lines when you reformat the page to 9cm by 12cm. I do a global search and replace to get rid of ALL paragraph breaks.....then have to put up with a book that contains only a single paragraph. Not ideal!

I have also tried converting from PDF to EPUB and MOBI using Calibre, but the special characters cause some formatting problems (I read mostly in French and German) and I get books with spaces in the middle of words. Presumably there is some kind of text editor for MOBI where I can do a global search and replace to get rid of the unwanted spaces?

The final problem I have with converting PDFs is that when they are in Russian, the .TXT conversion is unreadable. Presumably there needs to be some code to tell the text displaying software which character encoding is being used. Converting to .DOC in Word is the best solution I have found, although as I said I prefer RTFs. I don't know how to get the character encoding right in RTF.

Pixelar are offering a new firmware download that offers PDF reflow (what's that?) but I'm wary of it because then you lose the Japanese character suport. I read a bit of Japanese and don't want to lose that functionality.
rainbowworrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowworrier View Post
But the PDF to TXT conversion sticks a paragraph break (a hard line break) after ever line (A4 formatting). This introduces line breaks in the middle of lines when you reformat the page to 9cm by 12cm. I do a global search and replace to get rid of ALL paragraph breaks.....then have to put up with a book that contains only a single paragraph. Not ideal!
You need to first replace double line breaks with, say, __PARAGRAPH__ text. Then remove all single line breaks. Then replace the _PARAGRAPH__ text with double line break or however you want to seperate two paragraphs.

This is how I do it manually and it works peaches. The best thing is to use a text editor such as Notepad or NoteTab Light (a free one and really food one), none of that WYSIWYG stuff. This is because when you turn of the word-wrap mode, you should see only one line per paragraph. This way it's easy to visualize where and what you need to work on to make your book readable.

Once you get that TXT file looking good, you might as well convert it to eReader optimized PDF or EPUB with my web application available through my signature link.

spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #11
rainbowworrier
Frazzled

Quote:
You need to first replace double line breaks with, say, __PARAGRAPH__ text. Then remove all single line breaks. Then replace the _PARAGRAPH__ text with double line break or however you want to seperate two paragraphs.
That would certainly work, if there were actually double line breaks where the paragraph breaks should be. Unfortunately there are just single line breaks in all instances, so there is no way to tell where a break should be and where the text should just wrap round.

I thought Notepad couldn't handle special character sets? I shall have another play with it.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:29 AM   #12
rainbowworrier
Frazzled

Quote:
I thought Notepad couldn't handle special character sets?
D'Oh! I've just realised that the way to get Notepad to recognise Russian is to tell windows (under the languages settings) that any non-Unicode text should be treated as Russian.

Presumably if I turn my Hanlin to the Russian language settings, it will also interpret non-Unicode text properly as Russian. It will also turn all my menus into Russian, but I think I can deal with that now!

I'm giving up converting text files to .DOC because I'm fed up of Word messing about with my ebook files. It tends to resize pages that I have carefully sized to fit my Hanlin.