Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-10-2005, 05:48 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
BenQ's net earnings drop by 99%

It's not that I am usually interested in the financials of a company like BenQ, but the dramatic drop in the company's net profit caught my attention. WSJ reports today that

BenQ's unaudited third-quarter net profit of 20 million New Taiwan dollars (US$606,000), or NT$0.01 a share, was down sharply from NT$1.38 billion, or NT$0.59 a share, a year earlier amid shrinking mobile-phone sales. It was the fifth consecutive quarter of decline in BenQ's earnings. Its handset sales have dropped since a manufacturing contract with Motorola Inc. ended in late 2004.

The horrible results are played down by analysts who argue that BenQ is still a new company and needs more time to shape its reorientation toward handset business. According to BenQ CFO Eric Yu, the company, which generated just 7% of its revenue from mobile-phone sales in the third quarter, expects handset sales to contribute 50% of revenue in the fourth quarter and onward.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:01 AM   #2
surur
Enthusiast
surur knows what time it issurur knows what time it issurur knows what time it issurur knows what time it issurur knows what time it issurur knows what time it issurur knows what time it issurur knows what time it issurur knows what time it issurur knows what time it issurur knows what time it is

Device: Loox 720
MSMobiles is spreading the story that Benq has given up their Symbian licenses and will focus exclusively on WM smartphones in the future (+ dumb phones of course) I've been unable to verify this story anywere else. Have you seen anything regarding this story? Certainly if they can do a HTC (which has grown 100% YoY) it would be good, but they did not inspire confidence with their Benq P50.

Surur
surur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Like most rumors, there's usually just enough grain of truth to them that it makes them easy to believe and impossible to stop entirely. Perhaps Siemens Mobile is planning to sell its stake in Symbian (which is very small to begin with), but I have seen not a single other source referring to the press conference that the former dumped the latter. And trust me, it would have been in the press if it was true...
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote