Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-29-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Stieg Larsson

I have just finished reading 'The Girl with Dragon Tattoo' and have been into about six sites for e-books trying to find the follow-up 'The Girl who Played with Fire'.

If I have to buy the pbook I will, but much prefer e-books.

If anyone has any idea where I can obtain the ebook, would you please let me know.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Random House says it will be out on July 28.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
I believe the second book is being released in north america in late July ( and likely will get its ebook debut around that time as well). No word on the north american release of the third book but I expect that they will keep the momentum going and release it in the fall since it is already done (though not sure if released in english in Europe yet). Also, I believe the author's name is "Stieg Larsson"?

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
FINALLY !! now let's just hope the third volume comes out soon after... i bought the first one months ago but i don't want to read it until the whole series is available. and of course all three are available in french already, but... only in paper.

also, the author's name is stieg larsson so i'm going to change the title of this thread.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

I wouldn't worry too much about holding off. The first book at least is very self-contained and reads extremely satisfyingly as a stand alone. The reason everyone is so anxious for the other two is because he did such a good job with the first one and the expectations are therefore high for the last two.

Mel

ETA: If you have any friends who are in or will be in Europe any time soon you may be able to pick up book two sooner since it has been released in English over there - my sister picked up one on her way home from Spain last week. Not sure what the status of the English version of book three is but I seem to recall someone in Europe/UK saying they expected it this summer?

M
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
ETA: If you have any friends who are in or will be in Europe any time soon you may be able to pick up book two sooner since it has been released in English over there - my sister picked up one on her way home from Spain last week.
FWIW, it has also been released (pbook) in Australia.

(Also, you're my favourite Spice Girl, MelC )

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post

Cheers,
Marc
Guess who is going shopping tomorrow?

Please, please tell me it's not
Dymocks.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Can someone give me opinions on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? I keep hearing so many good things about it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
Guess who is going shopping tomorrow?

Please, please tell me it's not
Dymocks.

I saw it in Borders (I bought The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, but noted the second sitting next to it).

Cheers,
Marc
Old 04-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #10
MelC
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Can someone give me opinions on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? I keep hearing so many good things about it.
It's really good. Particularly if you like mysteries. Haven't heard anyone who has read it yet who hasn't liked it.

Mel
Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #11
MelC
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post

Cheers,
Marc
Any idea when you will be getting the third one? I have another sister in Spain who I'm hoping can get it to me

Vis a vis the Spice Girls...I had to give it up, not enough time for a pop career and my reading addiction. (Truthfully though, I am pretty certain I had the name first).

Mel
Old 04-29-2009, 09:25 PM   #12
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Any idea when you will be getting the third one? I have another sister in Spain who I'm hoping can get it to me
No, and unfortunately I'm a long way from decent bookstores to ask (I picked up the Larsson on a visit to my brother in Brisbane...or maybe it was my two-day trip to Sydney...I can't remember). I'll have a look online, and see if I can find an Aussie contact page worth querying.

Quote:
Vis a vis the Spice Girls...I had to give it up, not enough time for a pop career and my reading addiction.
With all due respect to the other Spices, MelC is about the only one I can picture picking up a book (or, at least, one that didn't have pictures in it).

Quote:
(Truthfully though, I am pretty certain I had the name first).
Sue! Think of the royalties!

Cheers,
Mr. Marc Apple Microsoft Star Wars Transformers Lawrence
Old 04-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I've read the first two in French and on paper.

The girl with the Dragon Tattoo has three interweaved stories written in. Two of them are about brutal misogyny and are set in a detective/journalist/mystery type plot. The author seems to have chosen the subject to denounce the treatments given women and delinquent youths in Sweden's past. Some descriptive can be shocking but the power of the stories are enough to keep you reading. Frankly I was not expecting something so shocking and at points had to refrain myself from skipping pages.

I read the first two tomes in a binge weekend each.

The second tome uses the first charactes and adds some to again denounce bad treatment of women revolving around eastern prostitue murders. Then again the story is powerful but does not, as the first one, end there, it is continued in the third book. I haven't read it yet. YGG tells me it is the best of the three.

The translation was not fluid but the story made up for it. And it is easy to read because subchapters are separated and last from two to thirty pages long.

Can't wait to read the last one!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Okay, I just had a Google, and it looks like it might be getting here in October this year.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 04-30-2009, 12:10 AM   #15
nohmi2
Pensively observing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post

It's one of the best books of fiction that I have read in a long while.

It's the first of the 'Millenium' series - as far as I know it's a trilogy, but there could be a fourth.

You do not have to read pages and then get into the heart of it. It wasn't over-descriptive, nor troughs of navel-gazing.

It's also intelligent and does not talk down to the reader.

As soon as I put it down, I couldn't wait to get my paws on the follow-up.

Too much description and I think that I might spoil the book for you.

There quite a lot about the author on the 'net.