Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #24091
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
We've had our current Bosch dishwasher for 10 years now and still going strong, so I'll second that.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #24092
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Our TVs, washer and dryer and kitchen appliances are all going strong 6 years on. We bought the middle of the line stuff with the idea that we didn't need the bells and whistles of the high end stuff but wanted something more reliable then the low end stuff. Seems to have worked so far.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #24093
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The kitchen ring main tripped. And then tripped again. Isolation and testing showed that it was the dishwasher. A leak and a burned out heating element mean that the dishwasher is a goner.

A replacement has been ordered, and should be delivered tomorrow (which is good), but that rather blows the money I was earmarking for a new telly. Our current model is now nearly 20 years old, and the vertical hold is starting to go....

The dishwasher was only 2 years and 3 months old!
Did Which? have any ratings of dishwashers?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #24094
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Our TVs, washer and dryer and kitchen appliances are all going strong 6 years on. We bought the middle of the line stuff with the idea that we didn't need the bells and whistles of the high end stuff but wanted something more reliable then the low end stuff. Seems to have worked so far.
Howdy:

I don't normally feel the need to buy uber-high-end, either, but our new house has very high ceilings (14' in the LIV/Kitchen great room) with smooth-plaster walls, wooden doors, stone countertops and stone floors (travertine). The area is fairly large, so the sound bounce is enormous. We couldn't even run the dishwasher that was here when we bought the place at night--the thing was so noisy, and the echo/soundbounce SO bad, it would wake us some rooms away in the master BR. Ergo: Bosch. I can't hear it running most of the time, even if I'm standing next to it. For us, that was life-saving.

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:16 PM   #24095
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
My dishwasher is original to the house, 1967, as is the oven which keeps going strong even though one of the side rails is attached to the wall of the unit and it was like that when I got here. It's smaller than a standard oven so that's always been a struggle. The cook top is another story, I'm on my third in about a dozen years
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2014, 10:53 PM   #24096
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
My dishwasher is away visiting family in Japan, so I have to rely upon the backup. That works well, but reluctantly.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:56 PM   #24097
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Cute, Stitchawl. I guess you will be happy when your wife returns.

I have a few oldies still going strong.

A componet system with:
receiver - 1973
LP and 45 stereo player, diamond needle - 1973
6 cd player - 1984
dual cassette player - 1978
VHS player/recorder - 1984

washer, used - 1994
dryer, new - 2001

coffee maker - 1978

small TV - 1993

Now, weed wackers are another story. I seem to kill those every year. I just don't understand why they keep dying or burn up.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:14 AM   #24098
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Arwen is the noisiest self groomer in the world. She's like a 200 pound hog shoved into her little 15 pound body. The snuffling and snerfling that come out of her little self can be truly amazing
Old 06-05-2014, 03:47 AM   #24099
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Arwen is the noisiest self groomer in the world. She's like a 200 pound hog shoved into her little 15 pound body. The snuffling and snerfling that come out of her little self can be truly amazing
Mwahaha, I get that one. Zep's about 3lbs. pounds heavier than Arwen, and Storm a few pounds lighter (she's a "runt coon" of only about 10lbs.), but man...they are a whole pigpen of grooming, in the snort-snuffle-snorts-some-more category! Loud as hell. And purr? Can keep me awake at night, simply purring. (Not counting the...ooops, I'm standing here and was suddenly overcome, you don't mind if I fall over atop your head, do you?, category.)

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:56 AM   #24100
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Lol! Shortly after I posted that she started in on claw maintenance, and I want every one to have a dragon visual because that's where we're at, the long drawn out ra@aak (ke of the teeth on the claws. And now she is sound asleep smack dab in the middle of my duvet. I have a light blanket off to the side that I guess I'll use. After all, disturbing one of the divine ones after we have been graced with a presence just wouldn't work now would it?
Old 06-05-2014, 04:26 AM   #24101
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
A replacement has been ordered, and should be delivered tomorrow (which is good!)
The replacement was ordered around 8pm yesterday. It arrived shortly before 8am today. Less than 12 hours between ordering and delivery - wow.

Both my old and my new dishwasher are Bosch. I think the last one was just bad luck - in general reports on Bosch dishwashers are very favourable.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:33 AM   #24102
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

That must have been online ordering! If you had tried that here on a phone, you'd have ended up with a very enthusiastic person that spoke English as a fourth or fifth language abs was working strictly from a script
Old 06-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #24103
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The next gen USB connector has been designed to be reversible.
No! I refuse to believe it! This was the one and only way to explain Shrödinger's Cat to normal people!

Spoiler:

Shrödinger's Cat: an object that exists in all possible states at once, until you actually look at the object to determine the state it is in. Regarding the cat, it's either alive or dead. As it's in a box, and poisoned, you don't know until you look into the box.

This is also true for a USB port. It's either right side up, or wrong side up, but you don't know for sure. Therefore, it's status is undefined, never fitting a USB port until you actually look at the connector.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #24104
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
The kitchen ring main tripped. And then tripped again. Isolation and testing showed that it was the dishwasher. A leak and a burned out heating element mean that the dishwasher is a goner.

A replacement has been ordered, and should be delivered tomorrow (which is good), but that rather blows the money I was earmarking for a new telly. Our current model is now nearly 20 years old, and the vertical hold is starting to go....

The dishwasher was only 2 years and 3 months old!
Eeek!
I have been wanting to replace my 40 year old dishwasher, but it is stories like yours that keeps me repairing it myself about once a year. It still works pretty good if I run the hot water for a minute before starting it and I would be looking at a hefty price + installation fee for a new one that could go in a year or two.

I would consider a 2nd hand TV in the interim. I bought my sister a 32 inch HD TV for $50 CAD which is like new. Not state of the art but she had a 22 inch CRT type, so a significant upgrade.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #24105
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
For no apparent reason, my back has decided to hurt.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness