Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #301
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjoop View Post
Did that making sure I used the switch or kept the cover open until sleep mode was entered. Battery from 100% to warning screen in less than three days.
The plot thickens.....
I can't see any logical rationale for the cover being responsible if sleep mode is manually invoked first (though I don't doubt what you and SeeSee are reporting) whilst it makes perfect sense to see a drain if it's left to fall asleep and something is interrupting the process by touching the screen (as reported by davidfor). For my part, I have always manually invoked sleep mode on my new Touch before testing thereby eliminating external interference as far as I was concerned. Yet I do have a cover and I do experience abnormal battery drain.

I'd be interested to see how you both fare in your tests
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #302
SeeSee
SeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That sounds like the pocket is preventing the Glo from going to sleep. I reported something similar a week or so ago when I put the Glo face down on some paper that had a corner turned up. In that case, it never went to sleep. What happens if you put the Glo to sleep with the switch and then close the cover?
While testing I always put the reader to sleep manually and then closed the cover. This always resulted in battery drain during sleep.

I continued testing the "bad" Glo that my wife has, its been in sleep mode all week outside its case and has stayed at 32% the entire time. I wake it up once a day to check.
SeeSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #303
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeSee View Post
While testing I always put the reader to sleep manually and then closed the cover. This always resulted in battery drain during sleep.

I continued testing the "bad" Glo that my wife has, its been in sleep mode all week outside its case and has stayed at 32% the entire time. I wake it up once a day to check.
This is looking loke a smoking gun at the moment. I've had a quick scan back through the thread, and most people who are having problems have covers - the missing ones haven't said. I think both David and I have suggested trying the problem Glo(e)s out of the case to see if it makes a difference. Indeed, I'd go a bit further and suggest sleeping them with the screen upwards to test.

If I read SeeSee's comment properly, there also semmed to be a difference with the sleepcover setting on or off - is that right?

(It occurs that the thread would have been enhanced by photos of the actual setups of the Glo(e)s in their nesting habitats ...)
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #304
SeeSee
SeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheeseSeeSee can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post

If I read SeeSee's comment properly, there also semmed to be a difference with the sleepcover setting on or off - is that right?

(It occurs that the thread would have been enhanced by photos of the actual setups of the Glo(e)s in their nesting habitats ...)
well, I'm not 100% sure that the sleepcover setting being on or off made any difference... In that particular test with my "good" Glo, the inside pocket on the sleep cover may not have touched the screen. I didn't go back and re-test with the sleepcover setting off.

The only thing I'm completely sure of (at least in my case) is that the battery drain happens when the Glo is asleep and in the case with the cover closed. Take the Glo out of the case and let it sleep face up with nothing on the screen and there's no drain. I tested on the 3 separate Glo's and that was consistent.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #305
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
well, I'm not 100% sure that the sleepcover setting being on or off made any difference... In that particular test with my "good" Glo, the inside pocket on the sleep cover may not have touched the screen. I didn't go back and re-test with the sleepcover setting off.

The only thing I'm completely sure of (at least in my case) is that the battery drain happens when the Glo is asleep and in the case with the cover closed. Take the Glo out of the case and let it sleep face up with nothing on the screen and there's no drain. I tested on the 3 separate Glo's and that was consistent.
Thanks, SeeSee - you've given some really important information, I think.
Advert
Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #306
SeeSee

Quote:
No problem!
Old 03-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #307
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I agree! Because you could compare, you went further in the investigation. What you explained seems promising and is consistent with what davidfor noted.
Maybe that's the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel (no pun intended ).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #308
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Maybe that's the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel (no pun intended ).
I don't know - it's only a small glow at the moment ...
Old 03-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #309
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I don't know - it's only a small glow at the moment ...
And yet, there are reports of it being too bright in complete darkness
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #310
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
And yet, there are reports of it being too bright in complete darkness
Touché!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #311
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:

It's possible that "pocket touching screen" is a red herring. What if the pocket's added just enough thickness to the cover that the magnets are making spotty contact, thus triggering a "sleep/wake" drain in the same way that a weak cell signal triggers a "searching" drain?

One way to test that should be to take the "sleep cover" out of the equation, but put something like a cleaning cloth on the screen once the device is asleep. That means there's definitely something touching the screen, definitely no magnet-induced sleep/wake factor, and thus the two possible variables are split up. A drain in that context decisively points to the screen; no drain would call for testing with a pocketless sleep cover (or magnets to simulate one).

Has anyone compared notes on their sleep covers' brand names?
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #312
SeeSee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
It's possible that "pocket touching screen" is a red herring. What if the pocket's added just enough thickness to the cover that the magnets are making spotty contact, thus triggering a "sleep/wake" drain in the same way that a weak cell signal triggers a "searching" drain?

One way to test that should be to take the "sleep cover" out of the equation, but put something like a cleaning cloth on the screen once the device is asleep. That means there's definitely something touching the screen, definitely no magnet-induced sleep/wake factor, and thus the two possible variables are split up. A drain in that context decisively points to the screen; no drain would call for testing with a pocketless sleep cover (or magnets to simulate one).

Just an additional point, the cover my wife uses is not a sleepcover, it doesn't have any magnets. Just a leather book type cover so it shouldn't trigger any sleep/wake behaviour, or at least I wouldn't have expected it to.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #313
rcjoop
rcjoop began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
battery use

Quote:
Just an additional point, the cover my wife uses is not a sleepcover, it doesn't have any magnets. Just a leather book type cover so it shouldn't trigger any sleep/wake behaviour, or at least I wouldn't have expected it to.
My cover does not have magnets either. I use Skindigital:
https://www.skindigitalstore.com/kob...er-jacket-new/

My glo now out of the cover is at 93% after almost 2 days of sleep and 2 hours of reading, this seems normal use of power.

After this just wait for KOBO to correct the error, it must be obvious where to look. Until then I just power off when I have to use the cover, might also consider to cut off the offending flap as it is of little use anyway.

But will be off for a week to a nice island and do some reading first..
rcjoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #314
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post

It also happened to someone when paper was touching the screen (PeterT perhaps...too lazy to look for the post...), so I think magnets are not the issue.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #315
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think it might have been Davidfor
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote