Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #61
talkativecarpet
talkativecarpet began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Just like to say I like the new update, home screen seems more logical and no problems with ebooks yet. Update was quick and painless

Edit: Love the settings thing in the top left of screen. Still glad I got this over the kindle.

Last edited by talkativecarpet; 07-10-2012 at 06:52 PM.
talkativecarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #62
pdops
Zealot
pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Never mind - figured it out

Last edited by pdops; 07-10-2012 at 06:52 PM.
pdops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #63
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boruteczko View Post
Terrible fail...

I'm already regretting this update - Polish diacritics are missing in most fonts and despite of all "advanced" tweaking remain too thin, some books fail to open, useless and cluttering "discover" and " wishlist", no shortlist and there's no watch icon!?

(Yes, I did a factory reset.)
Can't help with the diacritics, but there were lots of requests for a wishlist, so it's hard to claim that's useless and cluttering, and really -- one word "Discover" on the screen = clutter??
The shortlist should show up as part of your shelves (someone else had an issues with this not showing up, but it does on mine). If it doesn't, well you do have shelves so not having a shortlist can be overcome easily.
It unfortunately takes an extra tap or two to get the clock, but if you tap the bottom menu and the gear in the top left, the clock is still there.

Not having the diacritics work for you in some fonts sucks, but to call this update a terrible fail is a little much.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #64
lar3ry
Enthusiast
lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo WiFi and Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Jaden, the hyphenation seems a lot less problematic if you have a ragged right (not justified) setting. Also, some font sizes seem to end up with more hyphenation than others. Play around a bit. I know that at one point, i had something set that ended up with almost every line having a hyphen--and gosh, some of the places the words were broken were amaaaaazing.
Using hyphens always leaves you open to random mishy-
phenations. In a previous job, some years ago, one of my cow-
orkers was so upset by them, he needed to see a the-
rapist.

lar3ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #65
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boruteczko View Post
Terrible fail...

I'm already regretting this update - Polish diacritics are missing in most fonts and despite of all "advanced" tweaking remain too thin, some books fail to open, useless and cluttering "discover" and " wishlist", no shortlist and there's no watch icon!?

(Yes, I did a factory reset.)
On my Kobo, most fonts look okay. Two of the new ones have no advanced settings, but the rest is fine. Not sure about diactrics, because I don't have books with them. If they are missing now, that's a no go of course.

I'm not sure about added fonts - I think they don't look the same as they did before...

You don't have to open "Discover" and it's much less cluttering than the extra caroussel (though I admit I liked that - fast access to my shortlist).

Watch icon is gone, but if you hit the gear, time will show as well. It's the same amout of taps it used to be, is it not?

Shortlist came up for me after doing a factory reset and adding the first book to the shortlist (as was suggested).

What about the positive stuff:

I like the way the dictionary works now. Much easier to look up words. Works now like it should have been working from the beginning...

Last edited by Jaden; 07-10-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #66
Boruteczko
Boruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blueBoruteczko can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Can't help with the diacritics, but there were lots of requests for a wishlist, so it's hard to claim that's useless and cluttering, and really -- one word "Discover" on the screen = clutter??
The shortlist should show up as part of your shelves (someone else had an issues with this not showing up, but it does on mine). If it doesn't, well you do have shelves so not having a shortlist can be overcome easily.
It unfortunately takes an extra tap or two to get the clock, but if you tap the bottom menu and the gear in the top left, the clock is still there.

Not having the diacritics work for you in some fonts sucks, but to call this update a terrible fail is a little much.
I admit, maybe "clutter" is a little bit too hard, but it occurs I have the diacritics solely in Time New Roman, so for me it's terrible fail for sure if there's no way to fix it. And, yep, I have an issue with shelves too.
Time to dig for an old firmware I suppose.
Boruteczko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #67
lar3ry
Enthusiast
lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo WiFi and Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorchan View Post
This update completely messed up my fonts!

The weight of the fonts I've added is wrong, they're all to thin. Especially my favourite font Gentium Book Basic looks very wrong. The new font features (which allows one to adjust the font weight) seems to only work on the included fonts. Is there a way to fix this?

If not, how do I downgrade back to 1.9.17?
If you hurry, you can find it on https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Touch_Hacking, from a link in the first line under "Getting the Upgrade File".

That link may change to 2.0.0 when someone updates the Wiki.
lar3ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #68
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post

Watch icon is gone, but if you hit the gear, time will show as well. It's the same amout of taps it used to be, is it not?...
No it's not.

I was going through the changes, going meh... it's an alright update. Nothing spectacular jumped out at me yet. I do like the addition of wishlist. I don't like the "Discover". I did like the old Home screen, minus Previews, etc. It would have been better to be able to PIN a shelf to the bottom of the Home screen where the Shortlist, Previews etc used to reside.

Then I started reading and did my usual tap center screen to bring up the options and the time. I LOVE being able to check the time just by touching the center of the screen, tapping again to hide it without really breaking my reading stride. Now my first thought when I touched the center of the screen.. WHERE THE FLUCK DID TIME GO?!?!?! Seriously was there a real need to move it off the screen? Now it's 2 extra taps to get the time. Now when I want to check the time because I am outside enjoying the sun and reading during my coffee/lunch break, I consciously have to stop reading, tap, tap, check the time, tap, tap... continue reading (assuming my break isn't over). I don't remember anyone complaining about the time being shown when you center tap the screen. I do remember lots of people requesting that the time being shown on sleep mode.

One step forward, two steps back...
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #69
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by lar3ry View Post
If you hurry, you can find it on https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Touch_Hacking, from a link in the first line under "Getting the Upgrade File".

That link may change to 2.0.0 when someone updates the Wiki.
Thanks, Lar3ry. I almost never downgrade my firmwares but with the removal of the time from the center tap screen I'm going to make an exception.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #70
Little_bear
Groupie
Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little_bear ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch (gifted to a friend), Sony PRS-T2, iPad mini
I have to admit that I like the new update (this is my first update since I got my Touch). The shelves are a big plus for me, and the way the dictionary is displayed now is much better.
I also like more the new home page compared to the previous one (I still need to get used with the new layout, but I like it).
The fonts are indeed look a little different and I'm still playing with them to find one I like (and the new font features are nice).
The extra tap to see the clock is not a biggie, but I liked more before.
So, from my point of view this update is a step forward from 1.9.17.
Little_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #71
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
It would have been better to be able to PIN a shelf to the bottom of the Home screen where the Shortlist, Previews etc used to reside.
That would be nice, yes.

I don't really need the Wishlist of Find Books on the homescreen. Favorites would have been better...

The one thing so far that's most useful to me is the changed way the dictionary works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Then I started reading and did my usual tap center screen to bring up the options and the time. [...] Seriously was there a real need to move it off the screen? Now it's 2 extra taps to get the time. [...]
You're right, of course. No need to have changed that...

What I dislike is the extra taps to get to the Shortlist. I wish it was still on the homescreen or at least in the Library menu (instead of Previews or News&Magazines, which I still can't use since there are no magazines to buy over here...).

Well, maybe the guys working on the tweaks can figure something out to add options to the menu.

What I also dislike is that you can't add the books to the shortlist from the book menu in the library view anymore. The hearts often don't work. And in adding books to shelves they are only sorted alphabetically, not by Recent Reads, which makes it difficult to add newly added books to the shortlist (or the shelves) that way...

But all in all I like the new firmware.

Last edited by Jaden; 07-11-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #72
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
Have the same problem that you did before. Does your Kobo remember what page you were on for those reloaded sidebooks?
No, it didn't, nor did it remember which books I'd finished. Still, after signing out and back in at least I didn't have to reload the books onto my Kobo which I would have had to do with a factory reset.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #73
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
FWIW, when we first got the first beta (there were a whole lot of them) one of the things I thought was that folks who had used the older versions and had to learn to do old things in new ways (like pressing the gear in the upper left to see the clock) would have a harder time with this than new folks would.

For example, my go-to font had been Delima. In the new build I really like Amasis much, much better--especially when I moved the weight in Advanced Settings over a few clicks to the right. There are issues with fonts that need the full set of diacritical marks. I hope it will be taken care of shortly, but one never knows for sure exactly what is happening before it is announced.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #74
nila
nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: none
Gotta say - the removal of the shortlists from the bottom definitely had a huge impact on me.
Overall it looks clean but before I could click on any book really easily.

I had a picture saved on my Shortlist as my favourite item which was just my "screen saver" so to speak and had all my contact details on the picture.
Just before I turned it off I could then go to the home screen and instantly click this picture and shut it off and have this image as my Displaying image so that if I lost the device at least I potentially had some hope of getting it back if an honest person found it and could then call or e-mail me back to return it.

With the new setup this is just far too many clicks and time consuming a process to do now every time I want to turn it off.

I REALLY think the bottom row should have stayed and they instead should just have added an option to let us choose which shelf was displayed here.

Also, there's still no "series" management in the device unless I want to make a new shelf for each and every series I have - REALLY big limitation in my opinion (might be biased by the fact that 85% of the books i read are series!)

VERY glad to see the dev's are still working on the device a lot though and adding features and improving it.
I hope they continue doing this for some time.
nila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #75
nila
nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: none
PS - wish there was some way to bring plugins to the front too.
If we had the shortlist bar back and could then pin plugins to it this would be ideal.
I could then instantly get to Sudoko whenever I fancied a game.
Right now it is hidden fairly deep in the reader
nila is offline   Reply With Quote