Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
aliabbasjp
Enthusiast
aliabbasjp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
kdxg upgraded to 3.2.1, now how to install launchpad?

HI,

I did following on my kindle dxg 2.5.8:

jailbreak
upgraded to 3.2.1 ,3g

after upgrading , the screensaver hack is no longer active , i get the same old screen saver,
i tried uninstalling and reinstalling the dxg jailbreak but it did not help
i guess after upgrading, my kindle is no longer dxg ?
it seems to me that the kindle firmware is transformed into k3g ?, so now i have to apply hacks for k3g only, the dxg hacks wont work?

this is the reason i am clueless on why after installing launchpad i am not seeing anything on screen?
aliabbasjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Besides searching this forum for prior experiences and simply trying, there's not a lot you can do. However, there are positive reports for running launchpad in the firmware-3-on-kdx forum thread.

The firmware on your kindle is now neither the same that runs on the K3 nor the one which came with the DXG. It's _mostly_ K3, but not completely. Which probably is why USB networking only works via some quirks (different kernel interface?). As for what you should use, that depends. People had various degrees of success with the hacks floating around in this forum. They might very well don't work at all, even though they might work on pristine K3 or KDXG.

I think that launchpad should not suffer from that problem, though. What were you expecting on the screen for the launchpad case? Did the launchpad update procedure work out right? Do you see the folder it should have created?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
aliabbasjp
Enthusiast

no folder created, unable to install launchpad

no folder created, unable to install launchpad, which version of launchpad file should i try, in my case dx\dxg\...

also i need to jailbreak first ? which version?

thanks
Old 04-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I never went through the update when I still had a KDXG. So take my advice with a grain of salt. Looking at the code of launchpad, it recognizes a K3 at runtime. So it will probably chose the right key codes for you device in any case. During installation, it will add a script to /etc/rc*.d that cares for launchpad startup/shutdown. I'm just guessing here, but I think even in that case, both installers (K3/KDXG) at least should not do harm. However, because of the device serial number is left unchanged, only the KDXG update will install, I think. I'd try that - but will not give any guarantees.

As for which jailbreak is needed or works, I cannot give clues, sorry.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
aliabbasjp
Enthusiast

Thanks,
as you mentioned , my device only recognizes patches that have dxg in its filename.However my device is no longer dxg so even after installing the patch it does not work. while updating i just leave my kindle without seeing the scree n and it probably installs and restarts.
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #6
DickeFix
Enthusiast
DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.DickeFix is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 3Wifi+3G and DX
I can confirm that launchpad works on Kindle DXG 3.2.1. I think I had launchpad installed both on the Kindle 3 and Kindle DXG 2.5.8 before creating and applying the 3.2.1 update.

I have not tried the screensaver hack though. I try to always turn off the Kindle completely by holding the on-off key until screen goes blank. A problem with DXG 3.2.1 is that it eats your battery within hours if you have the wireless on and turn off the Kindle the normal way with screensaver. It also takes forever to start if it is not turned off completely.
DickeFix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
aliabbasjp
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliabbasjp View Post
Thanks,
as you mentioned , my device only recognizes patches that have dxg in its filename.However my device is no longer dxg so even after installing the patch it does not work. while updating i just leave my kindle without seeing the scree n and it probably installs and restarts.
solution was to take an older update, one in version for k3g and one for KDXG and HEX compare them. The result was difference just in one byte (part of SN. check) AT 0X000000C as shown, replace the 06 with 09!:
Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
aliabbasjp
Enthusiast

unfortunately updates install successfully , but seem to do nothing!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
cszhy
cszhy began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
hello, anyone can tell me where to put the launchpad.tar.gz file?
should I decompress it first?
cszhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Jailbreak, Screensavers, All work fine on dx as tested by me.

__I__ dont run launchpad however on the dx so I dunno if that works.

Quote:
hello, anyone can tell me where to put the launchpad.tar.gz file?
should I decompress it first?
__If__ you are talking about just extracting the installers. then just extract it anywhere and get the right installer in the root of your device. Read the Docs.

but this is how you splatter files direct onto a 3. ( IE NOT WITH AN INSTALLER)
splat the output to the /mnt/us or just KINDLE/ or w/e your root is when you mount

tar -xzvf your_file.tg somewhere (I dont remeber if it had any symbolic links, don't think so - so anywhere - any system)

then splat onto kindle (if it IS an installer - onto the root and Install Update via Settings Menu)

I think you would have to launch w/e it is manually in this type of configuration however. probably not what you want for a launch manager .
however assuming you got it running:

press shift shift space to activate / read the ini. (three presses within .7 sec)
you should be good to go. until the process dies or something.

I don't recall how it links in to run automagically. You would require the installer to do the work; but I may be wrong, you could run it by hand each time or something startup / similar.

Hope that helps. some.

Last edited by twobob; 08-14-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: added 'I' and reordered thoughts
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote