Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #61
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
According to Library Journal (http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/hom...nding.html.csp) library's won't need to purchase additional ebooks - ebooks they already own will be available for kindle download.

Quote:
The lending will be available for all generations of the Kindle as well as Kindle reading apps, and it will integrate with all the existing ebook catalogs in the United States powered by OverDrive. In other words, the libraries-including schools, colleges and public libraries-will not have to add a new format, and the ebooks now available on the OverDrive sites will be immediately integrated with the Kindle, Dan Stasiewski, a marketing associate with OverDrive, told LJ.

"There will be no additional cost to acquire new files to make them compatible," David Burleigh, OverDrive's director of marketing, told LJ.
Great! This is sounding better and better
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #62
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Interest comment on one of the linked articles:
Quote:
I'll be curious to see if Overdrive/Kindle ebooks will have a message that pops up right before it is about to expire that says, "Your ebook is about to expire - click here to purchase a copy." Talk about direct-marketing to your target audience.
Amazon aren't stupid
Even cleverer would be: "Your library doesn't have a copy of the next book in this series, but you can buy it from us by clicking here."
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Interest comment on one of the linked articles:

Amazon aren't stupid
Even cleverer would be: "Your library doesn't have a copy of the next book in this series, but you can buy it from us by clicking here."
That will never happen. You know eBook series have to remain screwed up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #64
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
This is great news. However, library lending is still controlled by the publishers. I hope this announcement doesn't deter them from adding their titles to Overdrive. We still have two major publishers missing from the system. Plus one with restrictions.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #65
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thanks Jean. That is one item removed from the naysayers list of "yea buts".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #66
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I think the term "Kindle-books" just refers to books that can be read on a Kindle to make things easy to get for "the general public" that doesn't know about different eBook formats. I'm guessing it will be the existing ePub books going through a process similar to what the MR community Kindle-owners already use.

(Now, if Amazon just could present a nicer piece of hardware my interest to get one would be slightly raised. I'm guessing come fall we'll see thing happening on that front as well, but that's another topic.)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #67
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I think the term "Kindle-books" just refers to books that can be read on a Kindle to make things easy to get for "the general public" that doesn't know about different eBook formats. I'm guessing it will be the existing ePub books going through a process similar to what the MR community Kindle-owners already use.
It will have to be something different for the whyspersync to work. Since Amazon is involved in the discussion I would suspect that they will be authentic Amazon formatted ebooks.

I have been known to be wrong before but I would be stunned to find out that DRM stripping and conversion was in play here. That would violate the terms of agreement with ADE.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #68
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Given:
a) The licensing concerns that would raise
b) The fact that Amazon have said that these books will work with Whispersync in the same way as normal purchased books
That seems exceedingly unlikely.
Overdrive will provide (or make a gateway for Amazon to provide) Kindle versions of the books.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #69
SyJ
SyJ began at the beginning.

Device: nookcolor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
This is great news. However, library lending is still controlled by the publishers. I hope this announcement doesn't deter them from adding their titles to Overdrive. We still have two major publishers missing from the system. Plus one with restrictions.
This is exactly my worry. With Amazon finally getting with the idea of library lending...I can see all the publishers now pulling support for all library ebooks.

Publishers, as we all know, are very suspicious of how ebooks are changing their selling model...and tend to react stupidly. I really can see them not allowing libraries to have any ebooks or making it so cost prohibitive that libraries can't afford to offer them.

I guess it was nice while it lasted....but Amazon getting on board with library lending is not going to be a good thing in the long run....for anyone.
SyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #70
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Yay Jean, that's great news!
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #71
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
According to Library Journal (http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/hom...nding.html.csp)

In an unusual feature for library lending, patrons will be able to make margin notes and highlight passages in books that they have borrowed on the Kindle, using the device's Whispersync technology.
Does this mean Whispersync will also finally work on non-purchased (public domain) books between my Mac Desktop and my iPad Kindle apps?

The current one does not. the Mac mbp file does not work on the iPad although the iPad mbp file works on both.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #72
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Some more information, from the Overdrive Blogs:

Kindle Library Lending and Overdrive:

- what it means for libraries and schools

- what it means for publishers
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #73
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I have been known to be wrong before but I would be stunned to find out that DRM stripping and conversion was in play here. That would violate the terms of agreement with ADE.
You're right. Overdrive is simply going to serve up a fresh-baked azw(mobi), hot out of Amazon's time-sensitive DRM oven.

Epub for you... mobi for you. Easy, peasy.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #74
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
Does this mean Whispersync will also finally work on non-purchased (public domain) books between my Mac Desktop and my iPad Kindle apps?

The current one does not. the Mac mbp file does not work on the iPad although the iPad mbp file works on both.
I doubt it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #75
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Holy Smokes!!!!!!

.............runs off to check the thermometer in HELL!!!!!!
ROFLU

Thanks, I noticed it was at about -4 this morning. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote