Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
k3 webkit browser...not impressed

i just got a kindle 3 the other day after owning both a kindle 2 and a DXG.
it seemed that the webkit browser would really be a step up and I guess it is as far as seeing a site the way it would normally appear...
However, even using 'article mode' I'm finding text is too small, it isn't formatted correctly and it's generally a pain to get to what you want on a site.
With the K2/DXG you basically get a stripped down list, hence, navigation seems much easier.
Is there something I'm missing here?
Old 01-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
yeah, its a ebook reader! the fact you can browse any web on it at all is a damn miracle.
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
@scott_t

+1
Old 01-26-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
@scott_t

+1
+1000

It's not an iPad. I don't know when people are going to understand.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
The kindle is an ebook reader. That is what Amazon sells it as. The fact that it has, as a bonus, a means of browsing the internet, is a gift.
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

if you people would bother to look you would see that I have an ipad and I'm fully aware what a kindle is capable of...
further, if you would bother to actually READ my post you would see that I'm comparing the capabilities of kindle 2/DXG vs the kindle 3.
maybe instead of slapping each other on the back you could do that and add something of value?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What we're saying is basically "don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

I hear you voicing you're surprised that, for your experience so far, the K3 webkit isn't as good as the K2 webkit in some respects. It's unfortunate.

I'm just agreeing with those who are saying that it's still better than nothing at all.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
if you people would bother to look you would see that I have an ipad and I'm fully aware what a kindle is capable of...
further, if you would bother to actually READ my post you would see that I'm comparing the capabilities of kindle 2/DXG vs the kindle 3.
maybe instead of slapping each other on the back you could do that and add something of value?
Add value how? Complain about how bad the browser is? haha. I always have 2 devices on me that have a better browser than the kindle (palm pre and zund hd). Why bitch and moan about it? You've got an iphone and ipad according to your profile. Is there a reason your browsing on your kindle? It's not what it's made for. It has a single purpose, just like my zune. It just happens to do that single thing better than anything else out there, so we all think it's worth it to have a separate device.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
bZkindle
Fanatic

add value by actually reading what I say before you post!
I'm not bitching or moaning. I'm stating my opinion and also asking if there's something I can do to make the browser experience better.
I'm also wondering if others find the experience better on the k2/DXG than on the k3.
you following along now. good.
but obviously since you DON'T EVEN HAVE A KINDLE 2 ....

Last edited by bZkindle; 01-26-2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: trying to play nice
Old 01-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
bZkindle
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
What we're saying is basically "don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

I hear you voicing you're surprised that, for your experience so far, the K3 webkit isn't as good as the K2 webkit in some respects. It's unfortunate.

I'm just agreeing with those who are saying that it's still better than nothing at all.
....and.. ? what? I shouldn't post here at all.
you don't think i agree that 'it's still better than nothing at all'?
what the hell does that have to do with anything?
god. for a bunch of readers there certainly a lack of comprehension here.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #11
chyron8472
Groupie

"What the hell does it have to do with anything?"

I was justifying myself. You are attacking us just for saying that we don't see the issue as being a big deal. Your thread title and original post give the impression that you're not happy at all about it, bordering somewhat close to a rant.

We don't share the the attitude that we perceived you coming across as having in your original post, and therefore responded that it's not a big deal. So, why attack us for it?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:32 PM   #12
bZkindle
Fanatic

I'm not attacking anyone.
Do I have to go back again and say what I said in the OP?.. just because you don't get it?
Anyway, I'm not going to argue with you so moving on...

Something I just realized is that in the webkit browser web pages don't resolve to the mobile version it seems like they do on the k2/DXG.
it helps a lot to actually go the the mobile version of the site (if available).
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #13
m0ngr31
Connoisseur

Quote:
add value by actually reading what I say before you post!
I'm not bitching or moaning. I'm stating my opinion and also asking if there's something I can do to make the browser experience better.
I'm also wondering if others find the experience better on the k2/DXG than on the k3.
you following along now. good.
but obviously since you DON'T EVEN HAVE A KINDLE 2 ....
Old 01-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #14
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
I havent noticed much of a difference in the web browsing capability of the K2 and K3. I find them both too clunky. But if I was stuck without my ipad, and iphone, I would use it. Back slapping? Must have missed that.

Just saw you post about the poorer 3G reception too. Maybe the K3 isnt for your area, you can return it within the 30 day period which is good news.

Last edited by Pushka; 01-27-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:25 AM   #15
bZkindle
Fanatic

perhaps I will just start a new one and try to be clearer in what I'm asking.

Last edited by bZkindle; 01-27-2011 at 04:32 AM.
Closed Thread