Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
All the formats on the jetBook (small j please ), of which I have at least one of each, look the same as far as line spacing. The Kindle too apparently. Something tells me the Sony can adapt for this?

Jon what do you think of my comparison pics otherwise? Honest.
The 505/700 can have less space between the lines. But it's programmed into the eBook.

The comparison photo is good. It does give a good compare between both devices.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:59 PM   #92
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Any plan for a big screen (Letter/A4) reader with jetBook screen?

The screen of jetBook seems really good and much better than I expected. I am wondering whether Ectaco is planning for a big screen device with the same LCD screen. If not, I would like to voice my opinion for them to think about it.

I would like to read PDF files made for letter/A4 paper and I believe many people would also like a device that does the job. I have been waiting for PlasticLogic reader but large screen reader with LCD screen used in jetBook may work better. I can see several advantages of making large-screen readers with jetBook LCD screen.

1) Durability
Since LCD has better durability than e-ink with glass substrate, LCD readers will have better durability than the same screen sized e-ink reader.

2) Established technology
Since the technology is already established, I guess it will be rather easy to produce screen with A4/Letter dimension and bring it to the market quickly, hopefully cheaper than e-ink equivalent.

3) Faster refresh rate
Since the screen update is much faster with LCD, users can skim through PDF files fast, which is not possible with e-ink screen.

4) Touch screen
Judging from many tablet PCs on the market, implementing scribble function with LCD screen may not be that hard.

Only weakness may be the battery life since LCD screen needs power to maintain the image. However, with replaceable battery, it may not be a big problem.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:11 AM   #93
loc_141
Enthusiast
loc_141 began at the beginning.

Device: pBooks
does the text on your Jetbooks bleed? I see a lot of you compliment the lcd but mine looks like writing with ink on wet paper
loc_141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:03 AM   #94
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
@Kris777,
Thanks for the info, I did call them and the response was kinda odd. First she asked if the card was issued on a US bank. I replied "yes" and THEN she said that they can't sell it to me anyways!

I just tried an email to Newegg.com customer service. I guess I can order it from etaco as well, but it's quite a bit more expensive (althuogh I'd get an intl. warranty).

Is there a thread where people have posted about the reliability in terms of hardware failure/returnsof the jetbook?

Last edited by rgeorg; 04-28-2009 at 07:16 AM. Reason: addt'l info
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #95
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
@Kris777,
Thanks for the info, I did call them and the response was kinda odd. First she asked if the card was issued on a US bank. I replied "yes" and THEN she said that they can't sell it to me anyways!

I just tried an email to Newegg.com customer service. I guess I can order it from etaco as well, but it's quite a bit more expensive (althuogh I'd get an intl. warranty).

Is there a thread where people have posted about the reliability in terms of hardware failure/returnsof the jetbook?
It is strange that NEWEGG refused to accept your credit card. I hope that customer service will send you some positive reply on it. I purchased from NewEgg many times and know that they have very good customer service.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:30 AM   #96
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
I very promptly received an email saying that they will not accept credit cards with a billing address outside the US. This seems a bit odd to me also, as I've been charging things for years in the US from this card.

So, I'll see if my mother can check out BB&B and the prices.

At $200 USD (about 150 euros these days) it's a good price compared to other options. And since I've never actually seen ANY of the eink readers - it's a risk but at that price, acceptable. However, the price on the european/UK Ectaco site is around 300 EUROS - this is double the US price. The jetbook then becomes price-competitive with the Sony, Hanlin and Cybook devices - and my risk is double.

I guess I just have a price ceiling. At $200 USD I would try it - but at 300 euros (netbook price) I'd rather wait and see if better screen size/features are coming - and if one brand becomes a "standout" device.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:23 AM   #97
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonteku View Post
I also downloaded some sample books in mobi from Smashwords and got a strange compression warning when I opened them on Jetbook.
You mean tried to open? Two out of three azw files I dedrm'd showed the (same?) compression message. "Couldn't ("open" I presume, it is blocked by the hourglass) Unsupported compression method".

I converted the mobi file to epub using Calibre on my Mac and they then opened on the jetBook.

I'm new at this game so maybe someone else can respond about why it happens.

Last edited by galavanter; 04-29-2009 at 07:29 AM.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:30 PM   #98
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Here's the last in the series of comparison shots. I promise to stop double posting pics, but the other thread was not a jetBook thread. After taking these shots, I am more sold on the jetBook than ever.

It's the one for me. Paperback cool, instantaneous no flash-refresh page turns, at least equal (better to my eyes) readability to E-ink, and most definitely easier for me to read in lower light levels.

Today, thanks to this forum, I learned how to move Kindle books bought with my iPod Touch to the jetBook. The Kindle will be sold shortly.

The first shot is THE Sun on the Kindle, the second on the jetBook, and the third after I angled them both slightly, the sun just off their screens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2820.jpg
Views:	1169
Size:	740.5 KB
ID:	28198   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2821.jpg
Views:	1185
Size:	724.4 KB
ID:	28199   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2822.jpg
Views:	1547
Size:	780.8 KB
ID:	28200  

Last edited by galavanter; 04-29-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #99
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
I'm sure some people will say that the green background is painful. I'm not one of them. Looks nice to be, thanks for the pics and if I ever chance moving away from the 1150 again I think the jetbook is on top of the list.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:19 AM   #100
galavanter
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
I'm sure some people will say that the green background is painful. I'm not one of them. Looks nice to be, thanks for the pics and if I ever chance moving away from the 1150 again I think the jetbook is on top of the list.
I guess it helps if you're half Irish. I read here today about a new 5 inch ebook reader. It's E-ink, and I wouldn't even think about going back to that. The instant page turns of the jetBook, especially on a 5 inch screen, are something else. It would be like going backwards...

Really imho I don't understand (I went for it) the e-ink phenomenon after experiencing the jetBook. It is a first class screen.

Last edited by galavanter; 04-30-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #101
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like picture #3. It looks very realistic!
Old 04-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #102
galavanter
Zealot

Ectaco just informed me in their forum that a new update will be out the end of May. It will provide dictionary support for the new file formats. I also hope they address some bugs I have been experiencing.

The most important for me is the failure of auto power off to work all the time. I went to bed the other day only to wake up with a "low voltage" pop up. I was on the road without the charger too. This bug occurs frequently for me.

The led sometimes just starts to blink every couple seconds. I'd love to be able to turn it off completely in settings. I don't want to be reminded I am holding an electronic device every time I turn a page. I want to stay in the book.

When opening books several things might happen. Thankfully most of the time the book will open, but sometimes the hourglass just continues endlessly, requiring a reset. On other occasions, it will revert to the home screen, the one with "Ectaco jetBook" at the top.

That's really all I can think of at the moment. All but the LED are rather easily dealt with, but it would be nice if they were remedied.

Last edited by galavanter; 04-30-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #103
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Ectaco just informed me in their forum that a new update will be out the end of May. It will provide dictionary support for the new file formats. I also hope they address some bugs I have been experiencing.

The most important for me is the failure of auto power off to work all the time. I went to bed the other day only to wake up with a "low voltage" pop up. I was on the road without the charger too. This bug occurs frequently for me.

The led sometimes just starts to blink every couple seconds. I'd love to be able to turn it off completely in settings. I don't want to be reminded I am holding an electronic device every time I turn a page. I want to stay in the book.

When opening books several things might happen. Thankfully most of the time the book will open, but sometimes the hourglass just continues endlessly, requiring a reset. On other occasions, it will revert to the home screen, the one with "Ectaco jetBook" at the top.

That's really all I can think of at the moment. All but the LED are rather easily dealt with, but it would be nice if they were remedied.

galavanter, what is your firmware version?
I see that the latest 30f available on
http://www.jetbook.net/upgrade.php
Old 04-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #104
galavanter
Zealot

30f? Where did that come from? I have version 30e, and downloaded and reinstalled it only last week. Just a few days ago Ectaco recommended I reinstall 30e in their forum. Thanks Kris, installing it now. Do you know if it addressed any of the issues I have been experiencing?
Old 04-30-2009, 10:27 PM   #105
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
30f? Where did that come from? I have version 30e, and downloaded and reinstalled it only last week. Just a few days ago Ectaco recommended I reinstall 30e in their forum. Thanks Kris, installing it now. Do you know if it addressed any of the issues I have been experiencing?
I have 30f and it has no problems with power off. It looks like 30f almost the same as 30e but with some improvements