Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #16
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And rumor has it that Sony is also going to bring out larger screen reader later this year.
That would be kool. Can you point me to some resources on that?
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #17
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm not an Apple fangirl even though I own a few of their iPods (caved into the kids) but an Apple tablet would have to be miraculous in order for me to be interested. The miracles include:

Lightweight, less than 1.5 lbs preferably under a pound;
Reasonably long battery life with wifi turned off, at least 16 hours;
ebook support that does not introduce *another* DRM scheme and supports at least one current DRM scheme and many open formats;
Cool to the touch, I have a Samsung Q1 and it puts out quite a bit of heat and it's heavy; and
Reasonably priced, this one alone will keep me from purchasing one because IMHO Apple products are overpriced.

I'll stick with my dedicated reader for now.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 11:43 PM   #18
kindlefan87
Probably Awesome
kindlefan87 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My main question would be, do they even have the technology available to create color on this sort of screen? I know that the kindle works similar to an "etch-a-sketch" by moving small pieces of material together to form text, images, etc.
kindlefan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:49 PM   #19
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
i don't see why people are yapping about the apply tablet lcd. it's LCD! it's not going to have enough battery life and it isn't epaper. people will definitely not be buying the apple tablet in place of an ebook.
No, something like that can't replace an e-book for an avid reader.

But it would probably sell like hotcakes, since the average person is much more apt to buy some multi-function multimedia tablet over an ereader since the average person doesn't read many books anymore and spends more time surfing the the net, watching movies/tv/videos, listening to music, playing games etc. etc.

People forget that this site full of readers who like tech gadgets is a niche minority in today's society. Especially if you focus on younger generations. So a tablet device that does all kinds of stuff, and also can read books, can really expand the e-book market beyond just the avid readers who aren't set on reading physical books--which is all they appeal to now.

It can't replace an e-ink reader for avid readers who need the battery life and easy on the eyes screen. But it would be fine as a reader for people who mainly buy it for the other features and will seldom ever be reading anything for more than an hour or two.

But in any case, we should be rooting for Apple to put out such a device--especially since it would probably use the Kindle store (like the iPhone/iPod touch already does). We may never buy the device as a reader, but if such a device takes off it will expand the market and get more publishers excited to put out ebooks, prices down and volume of sales increases etc. etc.

Though I could see myself eventually getting some kind of tablet device if it can display A4 PDFs close to full size and allow me to easily highlight and annotate them with a stylus since I currently print out scholarly articles to mark up. I'm kind of wedded to that (as I've outlined many times here), but a good tablet solution down the road could get me to change my mind.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 05-18-2009 at 11:53 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #20
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And rumor has it that Sony is also going to bring out larger screen reader later this year.
After the way they treated me when I tried to return my PRS-700, they can keep it!
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #21
askenase13
askenase13 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I predict a good color Kindle in 3 years. The first version (and probably the second) will not be that great. Then, once there is a color kindle out in large format, magazines and comic books will be sold that way, almost exclusively.
askenase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:23 AM   #22
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Buy whatever works for you now...tomorrow you could get hit by a bus while crossing the street reading on your Kindle. And then where will you be?

Me? I'm waiting...hoping that bus will come along sooner rather than later.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
That would be kool. Can you point me to some resources on that?
Sorry, but there are no details available.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #24
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
On an Apple tablet, you'll probably be able to use all the iPhone apps. There will be a bunch of eReader apps (as there are on the iPhone) and you will be able to use the Kindle store and perhaps the Sony one as well. And, of course, you'll be able to read fb2 books and all the other formats -- and I'm sure someone will enable you to flow pdf's as well (though that never works a smoothly as one would like). This in addition to software for everything else under the sun. So yes, it would sell and would certainly pose very serious competition to the Kindle and other ePaper readers. The tens of thousand of apps will give it a huge market. And reading on a backlit screen is quite OK as long as the resolution is good.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:41 PM   #25
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
some doubt is creeping into my desire to actually purchase and keep the DX. at this point the best course of action is to buy it and then later make a decision on either to keep it or resell it on ebay. i'll cross the bridge when I come to it.

ultimately, I think the price is giving me pause. $540 is a lot for a book device that will probably last 3 years at most until a color one comes out. $180 per year. $15 per month. of course, i can always sell my first kindle to shave off another $100. this gets it to $12 per month.

the first kindle would cost me about $18 per month, depending on when the DX comes out.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #26
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
I would be happy with the advertised "crisp white background"....

The grey isn't bad, but its not what the brochures hyped.
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #27
cush
Virtual Staggerwing Flier
cush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle (and an iMac)
I'm getting into this topic rather late but I thought the Kindle was supposed to be an ebook reader, not a tablet or mini-laptop. We own two Kindles, both V1, and find they do a great job as book readers, but mediocre as an Internet access device. Color is not an issue for me since I would buy art and other graphically intensive books as paper versions anyway.
cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #28
dwallbaum
Zealot

This is where the fun is coming in.... "feature creep" is going to inevitably hit the Kindle - can Amazon succeed in keeping the Kindle an ebook reader, or will it be turned into a webbook or something with enhanced PDA functions? It is already on the Sprint system... add a phone function? Don't want to clutter the OS with all these features? Add a port to the back to which users could add their own modules - phone, GPS, enhanced MP3 or video?

Now, personally, I like devices to be specialized devices... I like my Palm T5 serving as my PDA, my cell phone as my cell phone and my Kindle as my eReader. But... data are data and chips are chips.

Near as I can tell, the thing slowing down the Kindle from being multi-function is the eInk display not being real great at tasks that require quick refreshes. And eInk appears to be fragile.

But.. five years down the road, another display system will be out, and I can see the Kindle either being dead, or morphed into something more general purpose than it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cush View Post
I'm getting into this topic rather late but I thought the Kindle was supposed to be an ebook reader, not a tablet or mini-laptop. We own two Kindles, both V1, and find they do a great job as book readers, but mediocre as an Internet access device. Color is not an issue for me since I would buy art and other graphically intensive books as paper versions anyway.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #29
cush
Virtual Staggerwing Flier
cush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle (and an iMac)
Yes, dwallbaum, good points. I too like my electronic devices to be specialized, not broadly multifunctional. It will interesting to see how the Kindle morphs.

I suspect that when a 8"x10" eink display becomes available that the market for student etextbooks will boom, even if there is no difference in price from traditional paper versions. Don't know how the inability (now) to somehow resell the books after they are used by the original student would play out but I'll bet Amazon could work out a trade-in scheme.
cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #30
dwallbaum
Zealot

Hi cush;

I read that some publications are going to be subsidizing the cost of the KDX with a long-term subscription to their publication. A few magazines and newspapers are involved in this.

So, a KDX as a leased piece of equipment? Could be. I can see universities basically leasing KDXs to students. Several schools are giving laptops to students now, since a 'puter is a basic learning tool now.

I can see some type of convergence that would make sense.. support for a bluetoothed external keyboard? Then you could have a reasonably-functional web browsing tool and text editor -- after you get over the eInk refresh issue. But, this is a slippery slope toward moving the Kindle away from being an eReader to something else.

It would be very interesting to be a mouse in the corner of Amazon's Kindle product development meetings now.

Don