Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2022, 09:12 AM   #46
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansem_93 View Post
Kinda new to Kobo worlds, I tried to check for a new update but I'm still on 4.31
Firmware updates are delivered to users gradually. It might take a week or so to reach everyone.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:22 AM   #47
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansem_93 View Post
Kinda new to Kobo worlds, I tried to check for a new update but I'm still on 4.31
Others have pointed out Kobo rolls out updates, however if you want you can load it yourself. Just click the firmware version link in Geeks profile and find your device in the list. Download the associated file, unzip it, and copy the contents of the resulting folder to the .kobo folder on your device.

You might need to enable hidden folders, a Google search for enable hidden folders on “your OS of choice” will get you instructions.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2022, 09:34 AM   #48
JLB14
Enthusiast
JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLB14 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
The patches are nearly finished. I just need to finish fixing "My 24 line spacing values" since some alignment changes required me to re-calculate the offsets and have completely messed up the last third of the slider.
Glad to hear that, thanks for your precious work.
Do you know if it will be released this weekend ?

Take all the time you need obviously, I'm asking because I have 2 very annoying bugs with 4.30 and 4.31 :

- Some CBZ freeze my ereader, resulting in a boot loop (factory reset needed)
- Bookerly doesn't handle Italic anymore, Bold instead (despite all the usual tricks to make it work, and solve that particular problem)
JLB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 09:46 AM   #49
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB14 View Post
- Bookerly doesn't handle Italic anymore, Bold instead (despite all the usual tricks to make it work, and solve that particular problem)
I don't think that's a firmware problem. As it is exactly the same Bookerly problem others have mentioned for quite a while. It comes from downloading the same old broken version of Bookerly that has been floating around on the interwebs.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:05 AM   #50
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
BT bug:
Previously just looking at the Bluetooth settings page turned on WiFi.
On this FW still a slight bug:
Looking at Settings - > Bluetooth is OK
Turning BT also turns on WiFi. But you can turn WiFi off & BT is still on
Turing BT off doesn't turn on WiFi.
Still no indication outside the settings page that BT is on or if paired.

Once upon a time you could tap screen in Reading mode to see icons and settings and it allowed you to turn WiFi on or off. They removed that and ever since if you look up Wikipedia you have to go to Home to turn off WiFi.
Google Search doesn't work because they now have the abusive settings screen. Nothing to do with Firmware except NO-ONE on ANY gadget or TV should hard-code in search engine, default Social Media or Streaming. Those should be USER settings. Especially Search string on the Kobo in Settings.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2022, 10:13 AM   #51
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Publisher Font and Advanced settings:
I'm not convinced my ebook uses "AR UDJingxihei", which is what is suggested when you tap on Advanced. However that's the top of the list of non-Publisher fonts.
Looking at the ebook with Calibre I see only Georgia and Droid Sans are referenced or embedded.

I think a bug.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:24 AM   #52
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
This is a very interesting thread. I'm especially delighted to see that advances font controls are now available without patches. My normal practice has been to download all my Kobo purchases, de-drm them, and send them as epubs via Calibre for reading in KOReader. I think I'm going to try the most recent couple of purchases as direct downloads in the new firmware. It seems like Kobo deserves praise for not just fixing the 2/3-baked mess that was 4.31 but also adding several very useful enhancements.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:32 AM   #53
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
It seems like Kobo deserves praise for not just fixing the 2/3-baked mess that was 4.31 but also adding several very useful enhancements.
Yes, I'm tentatively encouraged. Kobo has been good about this all along, but businesses can change over time. I was beginning to fear that Kobo was slipping.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:57 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't think that's a firmware problem. As it is exactly the same Bookerly problem others have mentioned for quite a while. It comes from downloading the same old broken version of Bookerly that has been floating around on the interwebs.
It doesn't matter if Bookerly comes from the net or from the Kindle Firmware. It's still broken.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:01 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
This is a very interesting thread. I'm especially delighted to see that advances font controls are now available without patches. My normal practice has been to download all my Kobo purchases, de-drm them, and send them as epubs via Calibre for reading in KOReader. I think I'm going to try the most recent couple of purchases as direct downloads in the new firmware. It seems like Kobo deserves praise for not just fixing the 2/3-baked mess that was 4.31 but also adding several very useful enhancements.
Well said! I agree.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:05 AM   #56
emmur0
emmur0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Libra 2 currently on 4.30.

Can I manually update straight to 4.32 or do I have to update to 4.31 before manually updating to 4.32?
emmur0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:07 AM   #57
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I'm most interested in the following bug fixes

- the Sage button bug
- the Libra 2 freezes and reboots (though I admit, they're not been much in evidence recently even on 4.30. This may be because I've not tinkered much and have just read)

and in the improvement of the Sage battery life.

The advanced font control feature isn't important to me, as I patch anyway. But I'm glad Kobo has finally overtaken Amazon in this regard.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:08 AM   #58
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmur0 View Post

Can I manually update straight to 4.32 or do I have to update to 4.31 before manually updating to 4.32?
You can manually update to 4.32. No need to install 4.31.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:27 AM   #59
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:

I upgraded straight to 4.32.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 11:31 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

I'm on 4.30 and I'll be skipping 4.31 and going straight to 4.32.

Tags
firmware, firmware release