Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2021, 12:54 PM   #61
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
I wholeheartedly echo your sentiments!
This!
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:02 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Clara feature (Glo, Glo HD) - removable SD card. Unfortunately, the new device has eMMC card, and I'm inclined to believe that it will be a completely new device, perhaps with a smaller diagonal than the Forma. But not a replacement for Clara.
I disagree.32GB for a 6" screen is rather a waste. 32GB is best for a larger screen. So I am holding it will be a Forma replacement.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2021, 07:04 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Only thing I want is USB-C. My Libra is only device I use that doesn't have USB-C, it is annoying to carry another cable just for the Libra.
In my case, I would have to carry another cable if it was USB-C. So here's hoping it's not USB-C.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:41 PM   #64
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
USB-C is not some kind of aberration- it's the future (and actually, by 2021, the present). It's time to get on that train. Also, why are you carrying around a charging cable for a device whose battery lasts weeks anyways. I have a Clara HD and a orginal H20 so I think I'm probably in pretty good shape for the near future unless some groundbreaking new technology comes out, but I will NOT be buying any new reader that doesn't have USB-C.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:02 PM   #65
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I simply like having all my books on the device, thus more memory is good for me.
Haha I do the same. Mainly due to Kobo's "Related" or "Recommended" books are way off and I already have bought them and they are on my ereader!!!
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2021, 08:09 PM   #66
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
And in a couple of years there will be another connector standard adopted....
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 02:48 AM   #67
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
USB-C is not some kind of aberration- it's the future (and actually, by 2021, the present). It's time to get on that train. ...
USB-C has been the "future" for almost seven years now. Isn't it about time for USB-"D" to be the new "future."

My wife's new laptop is all USB-C (with one 3.5mm audio jack). If she wants to hook up just about anything to it she needs dongles.

https://hackaday.com/2020/06/23/usb-...-when-exactly/

Last edited by rcentros; 02-13-2021 at 02:51 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:30 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
USB-C is not some kind of aberration- it's the future (and actually, by 2021, the present). It's time to get on that train. Also, why are you carrying around a charging cable for a device whose battery lasts weeks anyways. I have a Clara HD and a orginal H20 so I think I'm probably in pretty good shape for the near future unless some groundbreaking new technology comes out, but I will NOT be buying any new reader that doesn't have USB-C.
It's a microUSB cable with a lightning adapter. So it's really only one cable that I can use with my iPhone, iPad, or H2O.

Thing is, on a Reader, USB-C is not going to make any noticeable different in transfer speed.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-13-2021 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:12 AM   #69
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
No, USB-C is an alternative to regular USB because it has up to 20V, video and a second serial connection. It's actually completely different.

Many new things will not use USB-C.

It will only make a difference on transfer speed on very few things that have USB 3.0 and nothing that would otherwise under utilise USB2.0
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:22 AM   #70
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In my case, I would have to carry another cable if it was USB-C. So here's hoping it's not USB-C.
I carry a USB-A to micro USB cable in the laptop bag in case I want to charge or transfer data.

I do have a few things that use mini-USB and some even use USB-A, as well as some using USB-3 versions of B and micro. However those are not usually removed from the library.

I've nothing that uses USB-C. Technically it's an alternative that's laptop orientated as it does typically 20x charging power and 20V as well as 5V, video and an extra serial data connection as well as USB data. It doesn't actually do enough power for all laptop models, so was crippled when it was released.

It's not cost effective for memory sticks, mouse, keyboard, ereaders, wearables etc and adds nothing to the functionality. It's marginally useful for phones, tablets and HDDs. It's a bizarre idea to reduce the variety of ports on a laptop by combining laptop charging, video and regular USB transfer in a single connector. It's probably a passing fad on some laptops and phones.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:30 AM   #71
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
USB-C is slightly more expensive to manufacture, so until Amazon puts it into the Kindle, Kobo will wait. The essence of marketing
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 09:04 AM   #72
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

USB-C is a lot more expensive. Many ARM cpus and also dirt cheap micro CPUS have regular USB built in. Few ARM SoC have USB-C.
Adding a slave USB (B, mini or micro) to many cheap CPUs is simply a socket and two extremely cheap decoupling capacitors.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:51 AM   #73
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Isn't it about time for USB-"D" to be the new "future."
https://www.datapro.net/news/usb-typ...-unveiled.html

© April 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
USB-C is a lot more expensive.
There is a difference of a couple of dollars, and the essence of what I wrote, it does not change Until there is an incentive / push from competitors, Kobo will not implement.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #74
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
reMarkable added an USB-C port on the rM 2, and given the state of the kernel commits, I'm guessing a few engineers weren't overly happy about that decision... ;p.

So, no, not easy/cheap, and definitely fairly useless in that context.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:40 PM   #75
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I hope it has automatic lighting.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote