Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2021, 04:23 PM   #16
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hope this is a new Forma without the light issue as I'm thinking it might be time to get a new Reader.
My thoughts exactly! I'm not terribly displeased with my Forma but it would be nice to see them address its issues. If it is a new Forma I'll wait and see what others say.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:11 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The new Kobo ereader has Wifi and Bluetooth, and just showed up on the FCC website this morning.
I was thinking it was about time for this. I actually tried doing a Kobo FCC search about five days ago. Looks like I jumped the gun a little.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2021, 07:17 PM   #18
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
If the additional features are a battery drain, let's hope they can be easily disabled. They would be totally of no interest to me.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:35 PM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hope this is a new Forma without the light issue as I'm thinking it might be time to get a new Reader.
But, if it is a new Forma, it will have an 8" screen. And as you have so many times told us, that is to big. You have so many times told us that 6.8" is the perfect sized screen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:51 PM   #20
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
if it is a new Forma, it will have an 8" screen.
If ture, that is tantalizing...perhaps enough so for KA1 loyalists to consider the new reader.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2021, 10:13 PM   #21
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Forgot to mention that the new upcoming model will support 802.11ac (Wi-Fi 5). New to Kobo.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:17 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
If ture, that is tantalizing...perhaps enough so for KA1 loyalists to consider the new reader.
There is absolutely nothing in the details available that says it is a Forma upgrade or replacement. Personally, I am expecting one this year as the Forma is over two years old. But, the Clara HD is older so it is also due for upgrade or replacement.

Some have taken the 32GB storage as a sign that it is a larger device, and hence a Forma upgrade/replacement. But, if the Bluetooth is being used for audio and they are adding audiobooks support, the device will need more storage. That would apply to any screen size. So, a Clara HD replacement with audiobook support could make sense. And if they are adding audiobook support for portable reading, then the smaller device would be the one to change.

Having said that, my money is on the Forma-class device. And I doubt that it will have any affect on those that love the Aura ONE. It will just give them more to say about how Kobo are continuing to make useless devices that no one wants.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:09 PM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Interesting, especially if it's really the new flagship.

No, I absolutely don't need another ereader. I don't need bluetooth. I don't do audiobooks. I have no reason at all to even look at this thread. Vade retro, Satana!

Oh well. Perhaps the new Kobo will have some serious shortcoming, making me not want to buy it. Scant hope of that, of course.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:13 AM   #24
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Given how hard Kobo have been advertising audio I’d be surprised if the addition of Bluetooth and 32gb size aren’t indicative of audiobook support. Let’s not forget the only time Kobo has offered 32gb have been limited editions.

I probably won’t pick this one up as my Forma is running fine, and I don’t do audiobooks so they’d have to do something fancy to make me pull the trigger.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:29 AM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Given how hard Kobo have been advertising audio I’d be surprised if the addition of Bluetooth and 32gb size aren’t indicative of audiobook support. Let’s not forget the only time Kobo has offered 32gb have been limited editions.
It's possible that they could be doing a "Nia" with the memory. Unless I remembering wrong, the Nia's FCC specs showed 16 GB, but when it came out it had 8GB of usable space (like the Tolino Page 2). I wonder if this new Kobo will actually end up being a 16 GB model instead. When you add BlueTooth to 16 GB and (possible) water resistance, in a 6", "Clara Deluxe" you would have something that would compare directly (feature wise) with a PocketBook HD 3. It would probably have to sell for more than the current Clara.

Last edited by rcentros; 02-09-2021 at 12:33 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:38 AM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post

I probably won’t pick this one up as my Forma is running fine, and I don’t do audiobooks so they’d have to do something fancy to make me pull the trigger.
My wife does do audiobooks, and has bought them from Kobo. So, if this is a "Forma Sound", I'll be getting asked the question, "Why do you need another ereader?" and answer, "It's for you, I'm just trying it out first." It happened with the Aura ONE and then the Forma.

And for the record, both times I did this, it was the plan. I was surprised at much I liked those devices and didn't want to give them up.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:38 AM   #27
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing in the details available that says it is a Forma upgrade or replacement.
The model number (N604) confuses me. It seems to me that the number of the top model with a large diagonal would start at 7 or 8. Just a guess, not a fact.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:15 AM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
The model number (N604) confuses me. It seems to me that the number of the top model with a large diagonal would start at 7 or 8. Just a guess, not a fact.
The model number is meaningless. https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...or-Kobo-tablet lists all of the Kobo device in reverse order of release. I don't see any sort of pattern in the model numbers.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:25 AM   #29
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...or-Kobo-tablet lists all of the Kobo device in reverse order of release.
And the mistake in the list given to you immediately catches the eye, Kobo Libra = N873, and not like there N782

I wrote that I do not insist N604 speaks of a smaller diagonal. Just such a premonition
Old 02-09-2021, 05:27 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When 32GB is mentioned, is this only going to have 32GB or is it going to be 8 or 32GB?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote