Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2016, 02:34 PM   #46
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Still no sign of a lighted Mini then?

*sigh*

now that is a good idea that i hope might get some traction.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #47
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I know the Mini has its fans, but I have my doubts that it was successful. For one thing, if it was successful, I think Kobo would still be selling it. They're still selling an unlighted 6", so there must be a market for that device.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #48
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
If The Verge is U.S. oriented I can see why they would be surprised that Kobo is still selling e-readers let alone new models. How could they know if they don't use Kobo readers, or read this forum. Kobo is more invisible than Linux to average consumer in USA. It has been more than 3 years that I saw any Kobo Readers in USA store. Then they were only in very few independent book stores.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #49
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
ooh, flush screen would be nice. And a god damn audiojack.
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #50
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Aside from features, Kobo has something else going for them that BN never had. A corporation willing to spend the money needed to make a good product, and a marketing team that didn't get their degrees from a cereal box.
You're giving B&N marketing too much credit.

Clearly, their degrees are from the back of comic books or, for the more advanced, Bazooka Joe gum...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2016, 07:21 PM   #51
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwardgd View Post
ooh, flush screen would be nice. And a god damn audiojack.
My Sony T1 reader has audio jack. It works ok but reduces battery life so Sony removed audio jack in later readers before they stopped selling readers. I use very small Sansa MP3 player in shirt pocket or clipped to sleeve with Sony ear buds with foot long leads that go in back of neck. It also receives AM/FM radio.

http://s0.static.mymemory.co.uk/imag...1337783107.jpg
Now Sandisk brand.
https://www.sandisk.com/home/mp3-players
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #52
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I know, right? How can they improve it? Make it waterproof? That would be a selling point for me. White shell? I'll buy one. Bigger internal memory? Yes! Add a card slot? I don't care, but some people would. Wireless charging? I'd like that. Sound for TTS? No interest for me. I don't know what else could be added to the current Glo HD.
A flush screen would be nice... but that Aura standard was one hideous piece of tech
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #53
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I'm on board for the larger display. A flush screen and brighter (than H20) display would be ideal for me. The brightness of the Kindle Voyage and Oasis has me spoiled. Even my Paperwhite 3 is brighter than the H20. I'm one of those who reads with the light maxed unless I'm in a dark room, then I bring it down a few notches (to the 75% level)
Ouchies! In bes in total darkness I never have it above 10%...and when I'm trying to fall asleep sometimes even 1% is too bright.

A blue-light filter would be a game changer. Not that that beautiful size already isnt. But, not getting too excited any more because I've been burned by colour gradients, weird shadows and crappy displays that get hundreds of five star reviews regardless and all of the reviewers not noticing the faults and arguing about it on the Kindle forum (wink wink).

Lawd I want Kobo to succeed so badly, its like my first born is going to college or something! Always putting up a good fight for the underdog. And yes, that Verge article is bad. And kobo needs to work on their viral marketing, if this FCC 'leak' is more than just a mistake... A sneaky picture would be lovely!

Kobo has the chance to kick Amazon out of the ball park with this one. Or fail miserably, a la BlackBerry (where is my g*d-d*med full QWERTY hardware android phone already!)

Last edited by cerem0ny; 06-28-2016 at 07:47 PM.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:57 PM   #54
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
Ouchies! In bes in total darkness I never have it above 10%...and when I'm trying to fall asleep sometimes even 1% is too bright.

A blue-light filter would be a game changer. Not that that beautiful size already isnt. But, not getting too excited any more because I've been burned by colour gradients, weird shadows and crappy displays that get hundreds of five star reviews regardless and all of the reviewers not noticing the faults and arguing about it on the Kindle forum (wink wink).

Lawd I want Kobo to succeed so badly, its like my first born is going to college or something! Always putting up a good fight for the underdog. And yes, that Verge article is bad. And kobo needs to work on their viral marketing, if this FCC 'leak' is more than just a mistake... A sneaky picture would be lovely!

Kobo has the chance to kick Amazon out of the ball park with this one. Or fail miserably, a la BlackBerry (where is my g*d-d*med full QWERTY hardware android phone already!)
Argue in a forum. Shirley you jest.
And let me know when you find that phone. I want one too.
Oh and you are part of the reason I don't want a lighted ereader. I figure it would drive me nuts. Note, I even keep my computer and tablet on dim.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:04 AM   #55
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I couldn't go back to an unlit ereader I read mainly in the dark. I don't have a lot of choice in that matter. I keep mine on 8 or 9. Anything else is too bright. I want it to look like paper not a brightly lit sign.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:45 AM   #56
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
A flush screen would be nice... but that Aura standard was one hideous piece of tech
In what way? I agree the implementation was flawed, e.g. the odd diagonal "scratches" at the top of the screen, but there's no way I would call it "hideous".
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:20 AM   #57
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I couldn't go back to an unlit ereader I read mainly in the dark. I don't have a lot of choice in that matter. I keep mine on 8 or 9. Anything else is too bright. I want it to look like paper not a brightly lit sign.
This. I have it at 20% during the day to heighten the contrast, in the dark much lower. At 100% you could use it as a flashlight! My eyes hurt just thinking about it...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:26 AM   #58
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
At 100% you could use it as a flashlight!
I do! Mostly to find our black cat :-)
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:24 AM   #59
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
In what way? I agree the implementation was flawed, e.g. the odd diagonal "scratches" at the top of the screen, but there's no way I would call it "hideous".
I agree, the device was beautiful. Just needed a better screen. If what they are releasing is an improved Aura, I want one!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:10 AM   #60
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
I don't find mine hideous at all. I can even switch reading from my H2O (gorgeous) to my Aura. I notice that the screen resolution is lower at first, but it only takes a short while to stop bothering me.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote