Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
NosCanto
NosCanto began at the beginning.

Device: none
Background image body

Hi,

How to insert a background image in the body? <bgcolor="white" background="flowers.jpg">.

Or it doesn't work?
NosCanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by NosCanto View Post
Hi,

How to insert a background image in the body? <bgcolor="white" background="flowers.jpg">.

Or it doesn't work?
1) Not all devices will support this.
2) on those that do, it may make it hard to read.

Your syntax is incorrect. Many devices will toss the whole lot if there is an error. Validate your CSS

background-color: white;
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just noticed. the path to the Image is not Sigil standard either.

Code:
background="../Images/flowers.jpg"
Old 02-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
NosCanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
1) Not all devices will support this.
2) on those that do, it may make it hard to read.
Thanks. I think it is better not to use it.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thanks. I think it is better not to use it.
You could still learn how to do this trick, then simply disable those lines for production.
A faint image might not cause problems on those devices that do show it.
Other device, it usually just fails to show.

Try it.
Try it on a few differing brands

That is how you can learn
Advert
Old 02-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
NosCanto

You will see it one of these days when I am finished.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:56 PM   #7
NosCanto

Untill now my cheap tablet device is showing everything. And also in different apps on pc. Those which doesn't recognise background (image or color) show it white. Imagen that some-one at Smashwords is telling me now to remove all backgrounds (images and colours) otherwhise my book will not pass. Some-one is telling me that I have to distroy my design. What a shame, crude and disrespect.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
It is not crude or disrespectful. They want to sell books and make sure that it will display on actual ereaders, as many as possible.

Tablets are not used so much as ereaders as dedicated devices like the Kindle, Kobo, Nook, etc, and many use e-ink technology which displays only 16 shades of gray. Your work would be shades of gray and hard to read.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
NosCanto

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wy7nqlm3gv...tro-klein.epub

Anything wrong with this?

Last edited by NosCanto; 04-22-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #10
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
On my Sony PRS-300 all the text is unreadable. It pops like your epub on my computer screen, then it goes to black and is unreadable.

This is why Hitch who owns a epub conversion company owns 50 or more actual devices to make sure that her company's conversions are usable on real world devices.

Sorry.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
NosCanto

Thanks. I better spend my time to something else. They have my epubs anyway for the future. Wish them well for coming years. The posted files will deleted.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
On my Sony PRS-300 all the text is unreadable. It pops like your epub on my computer screen, then it goes to black and is unreadable.

This is why Hitch who owns a epub conversion company owns 50 or more actual devices to make sure that her company's conversions are usable on real world devices.

Sorry.
...and why she curses the device gods a LOT.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #13
NosCanto

If I have to spend my time to make a epub fit to all those devices I will be more than one year busy with one page. Just got again a message of Smashwords about "remove all overlays and/or highlighting from your book". So the book will not be accepted into the Smashwords Premium Catalog. But there ain't no overlays and/or highlighting in the epub file. Maybe they are dreaming about. That other one is about "the cover image must have the book title AND the author's name and remove the brick pattern background, as it does not appear correctly after conversion".

I don't think so. Destroying my design because of bad real world devices? No way.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
If I have to spend my time to make a epub fit to all those devices I will be more than one year busy with one page. Just got again a message of Smashwords about "remove all overlays and/or highlighting from your book". So the book will not be accepted into the Smashwords Premium Catalog. But there ain't no overlays and/or highlighting in the epub file. Maybe they are dreaming about. That other one is about "the cover image must have the book title AND the author's name and remove the brick pattern background, as it does not appear correctly after conversion".

I don't think so. Destroying my design because of bad real world devices? No way.
Nos:

You must have something there, or the dreaded Grinder/intake wouldn't have picked it up. I went to look at your ePUB, but it's apparently departed Dropbox. Are you sure you don't have something floating atop something else? Text atop an image somewhere? Given that you started this with what (I understand from your initial post) was a book with background images, maybe you left one in? I obviously can't speak to your design, as I've not seen it.

Wouldn't it be simpler just to publish to iBooks directly, mayhaps?

And, if all else fails, like many, many content creators, you may have to limit yourself to print, PDF's, flipbooks, and the like. Not all devices are suited for all mediums.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:42 AM   #15
NosCanto

I'm sure. It was already accepted in the Premium Catalog but something went wrong when uploading the other title. Nothing was - I did not any - changed in the epub. So where it comes from?

Apple ID specifying a credit card.

Not suite "Fixed layout" ePub.

Last edited by NosCanto; 04-24-2014 at 04:00 AM.

Tags
background image, bgcolor, body, image