Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #31
henriquemaia
Ignorant of many things
henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
A direct link to download the upgrade would be awesome, as I don't have any access to wifi on my kobo.
henriquemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #32
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriquemaia View Post
A direct link to download the upgrade would be awesome, as I don't have any access to wifi on my kobo.
It usually takes a few days for the link to be discovered since someone with the appropriate technical knowledge has to be offered the upgrade and catch the download in the act.
Advert
Old 07-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #33
henriquemaia
Ignorant of many things
henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
It usually takes a few days for the link to be discovered since someone with the appropriate technical knowledge has to be offered the upgrade and catch the download in the act.
I'll be on the lookout, then. Thanks for the information.
henriquemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #34
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
If you only have one reader shouldn't want to be on bleed edge first to get up dated firmware. Some past ones had show stopping bugs. Regardless I want the up date sooner the better.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:21 AM   #35
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Has anyone who received 2.8.1 checked whether the hacks still work?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #36
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Updated this morning and got 2.8.1. No big changes; the whole thing is snappier and fonts seem just a little bit heavier and sharper. The tiles seem to have a slightly larger font to improve readability of the main screen. Typography through all the menus has been improved.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:59 AM   #37
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Seems I'm quite excluded from the sunny side of the street. I received, in return to my Touch that showed some problems since the upgrade to 2.6.1, another ("refurbished" - whatever this may mean) device, but as I hooked it at the Kobo desktop, the installed firmware didn't go beyond 2.5.2, even after syncing several times. There seems to be sort of blockade of upper firmwares.

At least it now works again properly, but I feel a little left behind concerning newer evolutions. But, on the other hand, there is, at each possible update, the fear of similar experiences as I had with 2.6.1. Echos of existentialism!
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
Seems I'm quite excluded from the sunny side of the street. I received, in return to my Touch that showed some problems since the upgrade to 2.6.1, another ("refurbished" - whatever this may mean) device, but as I hooked it at the Kobo desktop, the installed firmware didn't go beyond 2.5.2, even after syncing several times. There seems to be sort of blockade of upper firmwares.

At least it now works again properly, but I feel a little left behind concerning newer evolutions. But, on the other hand, there is, at each possible update, the fear of similar experiences as I had with 2.6.1. Echos of existentialism!
I haven't tried on the new Touches (model N905C) but so far the older Touch models that previously updated to 2.6.1 will not automatically update past 2.5.2 after a factory reset. I suspect that when Kobo rushed out the 2.6.1b update for the Glo/Aura/Mini/Touch C, they decided to not rush out the update for the older Touch models.

Also at this time, I haven't seen any reports that anyone has received the 2.8.1 update for any device other than a Glo. And the reports of updates have been scattered around the world -- several European forums have had reports of Glos that updated to 2.8.1. Admittedly, my non-English languages aren't that great so I could be mistaken.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #39
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I haven't tried on the new Touches (model N905C) but so far the older Touch models that previously updated to 2.6.1 will not automatically update past 2.5.2 after a factory reset. I suspect that when Kobo rushed out the 2.6.1b update for the Glo/Aura/Mini/Touch C, they decided to not rush out the update for the older Touch models.
Hi David,
I have a Touch of the older series (N905). Nevertheless, on my "old" old device, 2.6.1 had initially been installed - with fatal consequences. So I prefer it this way. This should have the advantage that the Tweaks plugin that I liked a lot should work again. I'll give a try immediately. However, there is kind of suspicion in the sense that they make me get the runaround (until warranty has blown off?) with new updates.

Finally, I would like to know what they mean with "refurbished". Doesw someone have an idea? Until now I have been used to get a completely new device during the warranty time.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #40
Leonatus
Wizard

Only to report: I tried to insert the "KoboRoot.tgz" into the .kobo folder of the device, but after restarting it is simply ignored (not present). Certainly I'm wrong with something.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #41
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
not yet released at home. (Kobo Glo bought on the first days it was available in France) Wait and see...
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #42
Eddie_Brock
Eddie_Brock began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Wireless
Quote:
Only to report: I tried to insert the "KoboRoot.tgz" into the .kobo folder of the device, but after restarting it is simply ignored (not present). Certainly I'm wrong with something.
I updated last night after reading about a potential update.
I then tried to install; Fmon, KoboLauncher and Night Glo mod, however nothing worked.
(although I seriously suspect a case of User Failure)
Eddie_Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #43
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
I updated to 2.8.1 couple days ago. The choice to have clear vs black light indicator bar on my glo is gone. I can only have clear.

And a bug I think I noticed is when I turn my light on, it does not come on until I actually go into settings and readjust the brightness. So if I have it at 5% brightness i have to change it and change it back then it will come on. Annoying.
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #44
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineStewart View Post
I updated to 2.8.1 couple days ago. The choice to have clear vs black light indicator bar on my glo is gone. I can only have clear.
The black went away on the Glo in 2.6.1 IIRC, at least there were comments to that effect.

Quote:
And a bug I think I noticed is when I turn my light on, it does not come on until I actually go into settings and readjust the brightness. So if I have it at 5% brightness i have to change it and change it back then it will come on. Annoying.
Very annoying sounding.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #45
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
That is all that is needed. Was the file still there when you reconnected to the PC?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote