Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
Ordering from outside USA ?

I know the 950 is intended for USA only, but I'd like to get it nonetheless (I live in France). So far I found no easy solution to buy it, and even if I did I'm still not sure it's a good idea considering the potential problems that would arise if the device stops functioning (would there still be a warranty ? ). Anyone in the same boat ?
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Trini
Connoisseur
Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs650
I live outside the US. Actually where I live there are no Sony Style stores etc. I therefore had to purchase my reader online. Amazon and Bhpvideo accepts foreign credit cards. I believe Bhp also ships internationally.

I used Amazon and shipped the reader to a skybox, which then shipped it to my country. I probably have no warranty etc. but that's part of the trade off.
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the reply. I see you have a PRS 650, I don't know if a skybox would accept to send a prs 950 which is to be sold in US only. How much import fees did you pay by the way ? I find they the duty & VAT are way too expensive : 104$ for the 650 on bhphotovideo, and their cheapest shipping is 46$, which makes a total of 378 $ !
Old 11-03-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
I was in exact same boat and my relatives in US are on vacation to australia for couple of months; so they won't ship. I asked some admins at MR about anyone trusted to ship for me; but response was "Please avoid MR members for getting your product shipped". So, bhpvideo was one option.

BHPvideo yet doesn't have 950. I ordered 950from Adorama; and I am in que for shipment.
I also ordered a nice 25$ zipper case along with it. I would recommend Adorama to you also.

Note: It is always better; if you want to order and get relative or someone there. Shipment taxes to Mumbai are around 60$. Still I bought it.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
Papi
Addict

Thanks for the link, I didn't know that shop. Are they serious dealers ? When choosing the shipping option, there was no mention of VAT or duty taxes. Oh, and I couldn't find the cover for the 950...
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Both BH Photo and Video and Adorama are quality vendors. I've purchased quite a bit of photo equipment from both of them in the past and never had any issues.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
thanks, i found this info useful, but why doesn't Adorama show vat or tax? does it not require it or is it about the same as when ordering from BH Photo and Video?
thanks
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksnoopy View Post
thanks, i found this info useful, but why doesn't Adorama show vat or tax? does it not require it or is it about the same as when ordering from BH Photo and Video?
thanks
I'm not 100% sure, but they typically don't show tax when the shipping location is outside the state where they have a physical location. The tax laws in the U.S. don't require them to collect tax when shipping outside their home state. I'm not sure of the requirements on them when shipping internationally.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
perost
Enthusiast
perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksnoopy View Post
thanks
From Adoramas help pages:
Quote:
The recipient of an international shipment may be subject to import duties and taxes, which are levied once a shipment reaches your country and brokerage fees / custom clearance charges which may be imposed by the carrier . These charges must be borne by the recipient; we have no control over these charges and cannot predict what they may be.
So Adorama (and from my experience B&H too) doesn't take care of any extra fees, that's for the customs in the country you are in to take care of. For example, when I bought my PRS-900 from B&H they sent it with UPS. When it arrived in Sweden UPS called me and we settled the VAT and import fees over the phone.
perost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Living outside the U.S. you may use services like USunlocked to order directly from Sony U.S.

Those services provide a US shipping address and forward your buyings to you for a fee. Check them out. There are more providers than just USunlocked.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
Trini
Connoisseur
Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
Thanks for the reply. I see you have a PRS 650, I don't know if a skybox would accept to send a prs 950 which is to be sold in US only. How much import fees did you pay by the way ? I find they the duty & VAT are way too expensive : 104$ for the 650 on bhphotovideo, and their cheapest shipping is 46$, which makes a total of 378 $ !
I don't think a skybox service wouldn't ship a product to you because it's only sold in a particular country. From my understanding skybox companies ship anything with the exception of illegal items. Illegal items will differ from country to country e.g Israel and ipads earlier in the year. In any event the skybox company would list the items they are not willing to ship. I'm sure an ereader will be acceptable.

With regards to the charges. It depends on the company. SOme charge by actual package weight or by size of package. Companies that charge by actual package weight tend to have cheaper shipping charges naturally.

I don't think you can compare the fees I paid to ship my reader with what you might pay as my skybox xompany is a local one. I believe you live in France? I live in the Caribbean, shipping charges from the US to the Caribbean had better be cheaper that those from the US to France . Import fees will also differ from country to country. However that being said I paid a little less than US$20 to ship and clear my reader via my skybox . I must admit it was cheaper than I expected . This is minus the shipping cost within the US to my skybox. That was about US$5.

Last edited by Trini; 11-03-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:12 AM   #12
Papi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by perost View Post
From Adoramas help pages:

So Adorama (and from my experience B&H too) doesn't take care of any extra fees, that's for the customs in the country you are in to take care of. For example, when I bought my PRS-900 from B&H they sent it with UPS. When it arrived in Sweden UPS called me and we settled the VAT and import fees over the phone.
B&H seems to do it now, when I checked on their site for the shipping costs for a PRS 650, they indicated 104$ of VAT & duties. It's an awful lot IMHO (VAT is about 20% here, so that would make 46$, though I think it's unfair as the US price must include some sort of VAT already which should be substracted from our VAT), but I don't think they have anything to say on the duties costs, which are prohibiting (60$ !). But at least it's done properly and legally.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:44 AM   #13
Papi
Addict

OK so, I have 2 options :

- order directly from an online store, which takes care or not of the VAT & duties, and if it does not I will either either & : be lucky and avoid paying taxes or b : receive a call from french customs for paying the bill of VAT + duty.

- use a service like usunlocked or skybox which, I guess will take care of the VAT & duty, but then I have to pay them for the service, which makes an extra cost.

I think I will go the adorama way which seems the cheapest, but : if it gets stopped at the customs, it will induce another delay, and I couldn't see on their page if they say they have it in stock or not.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #14
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
OK so, I have 2 options :

- order directly from an online store, which takes care or not of the VAT & duties, and if it does not I will either either & : be lucky and avoid paying taxes or b : receive a call from french customs for paying the bill of VAT + duty.

- use a service like usunlocked or skybox which, I guess will take care of the VAT & duty, but then I have to pay them for the service, which makes an extra cost.

I think I will go the adorama way which seems the cheapest, but : if it gets stopped at the customs, it will induce another delay, and I couldn't see on their page if they say they have it in stock or not.
I see USunlocked website is not so professionally designed. I wouldn't recommend it for big orders like this. (For me, sometimes the website's design and security properties are prime concern for trusting it. Adorama is good one if you want to buy. I had searched a little bit about feedback of adorama; google it!)

By the way, I just recieved email Adorama and they are out of stock for 950 for now. SO I have to wait atleast 7 more days until new shipments arrive from manufacturing process to Adorama's place in New York. As far as the cover is concerned, There is a lighted cover for it on BHPvideo site (not worth ordering! double shipping charges. )

Adorama has one nice zip bag for it at $25.

Last edited by Nexutix; 11-04-2010 at 07:24 AM. Reason: 950 sold out from Adorama!
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #15
Papi
Addict

Thanks for the update. Too bad they don't show how many items they have in stocks. I hope also it's really a black 950, so far I only saw videos of silver ones (maybe the black version is not out yet ?). I don't know if I should order it now, I fear the 1 week delay becomes 2 weeks, etc. And yes, too bad they don't have the cover too...The zip is nice, but won't protect it much I think, and I want the cover + light.